Fav Healthy Meals?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I have a few. One is a sort of burrito salad mix. I chiffonade some iceberg lettuce, chop tomatoes, onions. I skip the cheese and meat, season some beans. Bring out my favorite salsas (Mrs. Renfrews are my favorites lately). Then I steam (for hubby) a few tortillas (for me I prefer to toss them on a skillet lightly brushed with olive oil). If we need meat, I saute chicken or fish in olive oil with onions, peppers, cumin. But sometimes we opt for a vegetarian meal.

One that is funnier than heck was when we were on the road. Whenever we pull out the grill, I always prepare onions, squash, eggplant, etc. I toss them with olive oil and my favorite garlic seasoning, and when the fire is at its peak, I toss them on, turn them over, and sometimes serve them, sometimes toss them in the fridge. They are excellent left over with pasta and rice. My mom, who for medical reasons had to be a vegetarian for a number of years, still requests this, and calls it "Claire's ratatouille". What was funny was that on the road many older, real meat-eater-hee-men, would stop and wonder at the wonderful frangrances coming from our grill. They were astonished to realize that we were grilling vegetables!

I'm definitely an omnivore, but there's nothing wrong with skipping meat for a day or two a week.

Here's one that is surprisingly flavorful and delicious given how simple the ingredients are. It's my own adaptation of a favorite Ethiopian dish. And its vegetarian and vegan.

ETHIOPIAN VEGETABLE STEW
Serves four as an entrée, 6-8 as a side dish.

2 med. to large potatoes
2 carrots
2 yellow onions
¼ head cabbage
Handful fresh green beans
5-8 cloves garlic, minced
2-3 TB vegetable oil

2 tsp. Ground ginger
2 tsp. Turmeric
1 tsp. salt
½ tsp. Black pepper
2 C. water

Cut vegetables into bite size pieces (cabbage can be larger as it wilts so much). Sauté briefly in oil with minced garlic. Add the spices and the water.
Bring to a boil and simmer covered, stirring occasionally, about 40 minutes.
Adjust seasonings and serve hot.
Delicious served with 2% cottage cheese (unless you're a vegan) and green salad tossed with a lemon vinaigrette.

I have to cook healthy due to health issues. One of the quickest dishes I make is a chinese style dish that has no name.. You can find the ingredients in any store. I don't measure anything either. It is all made to taste. I do not add salt - but the recipe calls for a small amount. ,

You will need onions, garlic, 1 or 2 cans of no-salt diced tomatoes, 1 or 2 cans of fat-free chicken broth, 1-2 pounds of artifical fish, (I like the Lobster or scallops), green pepper, rice, fresh mustrooms, peanut oil, cornstarch and water. Optional: celery or bok choy, water chestnuts, baby ears of corn, or coctail shrimp. Chicken breast can be substituted for fish.

Preparation: Finely mince 2-3 pieces of garlic. Slice each onion into 8 wedges. Slice green pepper into thin strips, Slice mushrooms. Separte fish into pieces. Open cans and remove lids. Do not drain. Optional: Slice celery or bock shoy thing, drain and rinse baby corb and water chestnuts. Thaw frozen shrimp in cold water to thaw, then drain well. To substitute chicken breast for fish dice pre-cooked, bones removed, chicken in large chunks.

Cooking:
Heat 2 tbsp. oil to almost smoking. Add I tsp salt and stir quicky until sal is absorbed. Reduce heat to medium high. Add onion wedges, minced garlic, green pepper stripss and bok choy. Siir with wooden sppon until onion is nearly transparent. Add rest of ingredients except cornstarch and water. Continue heating until the muschrooms are cooked. Thicken with cornstarch and water. Serve over hot rice. Optional: 2 Tbsp table wine while cooking. (I occassionally add port)

Time 20 minutes from start to table Serves 4 or more.

Note: Most companies that make no-fat broth list 38% or more sodium content in the food label - which is why I do not add salt.

Another dish I make is what I call a peasant chicken soup

Simmer chicken with whole onions, sliced celery, and whole carrots. When chicken is cooked, remove from heat and throw away onions. Set carrots and celery aside. De-Fat the stock.

Return to heat and add potato quarters, turnips, diced tomatoes, fresh mushroom slices, diced turnips, herbs or spices, and any other vegetable you like. Five minutes before vegetables are finished cooking return sliced celery to pot. Cut carrots into slices or pieces and return to pot to reheat. Add pepper to taste before putting in bowls. I serve with chuncks of hot french bread and butter.

Note: I cook for a no salt, low cholesterol, low fat diet, heart patient. Butter and salt are treats. I use them sparingly, I also cook with no-fat skim milk that does not contain added potassium due to blood thining medications. .

Last edited:
I make dishes similar to those, except I usually use tofu or chicken for that chinese-style one and use some of my homemade vegetable broth I keep on hand in the freezer so I can salt it to taste. I especially love it with brown rice and I like to put the bok choy and sometimes spinach in around the end so that they retain some of their rigidity. Also, red and orange bell peppers and carrots added to this dish make it especially colorful and tasty.

A great sandwich spread is Chickpea Salad

• Roughly mash up a can of chickpeas.
  • Add half a minced pickle and, maybe a tbs of pickle juice.
  • Add some chopped shallot or onion and chopped celery.
  • Stir in a dolob mayo and a squirt of mustard
  • Season with salt and pepper to taste. (Even better with Black Indian Salt if you have it)
  • Spread on bread and eat =p
This sounds so delish:rolleyes: thanks for posting....

I have been eating alot of grilled romaine lettuce with a dab of evoo and when done i put a tiny bit of balsalmic dressing on it and a side of chicken

Well ... If you are trying to lose weight and still have tasty healthy meals . follow this... i have been following and loosing after having my baby , i really gained weight in pregnancy
this is a plan for a week .. there is good food there ... try it an good luck .. i have lost 10 pounds with that . but iam cotinuing, there will be more plans every week for free in Lady rima . com

I love, love, love the Abs Diet book for recipes.... One of my favorite ones is for a sandwich that is a healthy Philly Cheesesteak (which are my FAVES!)

Slice 1 red bell pepper, 1 green bell pepper, 1 small onion and fresh mushrooms. Saute them with 1 tsp olive oil and fresh pepper and garlic. Halfway through the saute process, add 3/4 pound lean deli roast beef (cut into strips) and cook through. While that is cooking, split 4 whole wheat hoagie rolls and place on a cookie tray - add 1 slice low fat cheese (Sargento melts great) and put in the oven @400 just long enough to melt.
Split the meat/veggies into 4 portions, add to the sandwich with 1 tablespoon fat free mayo and eat with a salad! Yummy!!

(Lol... I think I remembered it all!)

:):chef:

I'm tempted to make the chickpea salad tonite...I always have 4 cans of chickpeas in my pantry and its not on purpose just something strange that always seems to be. And the Black bean and rice with cilantro pesto is on the menu for tomorrow. I am so glad I found this forum such good ideas!!!!! :)

Back
Top Bottom