Favorite cured meats?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
SierraCook said:
I like most of what everyone else has said except nobody mentioned jerky. I like beef, deer, and elk jerky. I also like deer and elk salami.

I dated a girl who was on the road a lot... she got me into smoking, drinking tons of soda and eating jerky to survive long periods on the road. Jerky is the only addiction that survived from that period, thank god.

SierraCook said:
I like most of what everyone else has said except nobody mentioned jerky. I like beef, deer, and elk jerky. I also like deer and elk salami.

I too love jerky, and make it every now and again. It comes out a bit differently each time as my mairinade is made by adding a bit of this and that until it tastes right to me.

But my favorite cured meat is pepperoni. I have loved it for as long as I can remember. My Dad used to by the stick pepperoni when I was a kid, and we'd both break off a chunk and munch it while watching TV.

Of course we'd also do that with colby or cheddar cheese, cold hot dogs, liverwurst, sardines, fried fish, etc. He and my Mom divorce when I was about 3 years old. I spent the week days on the river, with my Mom, Stepfather (who was an incredible guy), and sisters, and at my Dad's on weekends, with the gravel pits and woods to play in. I had two completely lifestyles, one very proper, and one very laid back, until I grew old enough to start my adult life.

I still have some of both lifestyles in me. I love formal meals, with proper manners, and gorgeous food. But then again, a bowl of pork & beans with hotdogs is mighty good too.

Wish I had a big stick of pepperoni right now. My wife used to send them to me in care packages while I was out at sea. Now is that the work of a great wife or what? :D

Seeeeeeeya; Goodweed of the North

delish! pepperoni and jerky and all the others...yum
i like butcher's versions of pepperoni and Wild Bill's jerky.
i make great jerky.

luvs_food said:
delish! pepperoni and jerky and all the others...yum
i like butcher's versions of pepperoni and Wild Bill's jerky.
i make great jerky.
instead of the usual soy sauce marinade, i use a mainly-worcestershire-based one, then brush the cooked jerky with A-1. man, is it good...

[/quote]i make great jerky.
instead of the usual soy sauce marinade, i use a mainly-worcestershire-based one, then brush the cooked jerky with A-1. man, is it good...[/quote]

No argument here. Unless I'm specifically going for a teryaki flavor, my jerky is based on Worcestershire and A1. And I use only Lee & Perrins Worcestershire. I don't care for the flavor of others I've tried. I also slowly dry mine on the Webber Kettle, with only a few chunks of charcoal, and lots of apple or maple wood to provide the smoke. And I also agree with brushing on more of the marinade as it dries, to intensify the flavor. But the process takes the better part of a day before it's done. I definitely know why the stuff costs so much in the store.

Seeeeeeya; Goodweed of the North

Back
Top Bottom