Favorite cured meats?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Oh oh what a great question

I love cured meats

Parma ham

Salami

Good old English gammon

Re: fave cured meats?

luvs_food said:
i love beef bresoala and also proscuitto.
how 'bout you?

I love proscuitto as well, luvs, but what is beef bresoala? I also love black forrest ham, honeybaked ham and turkey, must have pepperoni on the pizza, ocassional bacon, and corned beef, pastrami. Now I am getting hungry and I ate the last peice of ham this morning in a strata.

Agree with the country ham, and basically everything else.

My favorite cured ham is probably jamon serrano, which is Spanish. And even better is jamon serrano negro, which is a very dark and flavorful jamon serrano.

Can generally only find those in tapas restaurants. Unfortunately have to travel to get to one. I wonder why there aren't more of those places about? We adore tapas and have turned on a number of other people to them (although the in-laws initially thought we said topless restaurant and not tapas, which led to an interesting conversation). But I guess the tapas thing could be another topic.

Bresaola, which I only recently had for the first time, is dried and salt cured beef from Italy (although it can be made elsewhere, learned all of this from a Google search).

I think it is pronounced bre-so-la, with the accent on the 'so'. Am just glad I did not have to pronounce it when I ordered it.

It was served with EVOO, lemon and pepper, and that seems to be the traditional way to do it. Sort of like carpaccio, which we love. But then again, I guess that too is another topic.

Happy New Year to all.

norgeskog said:
luvs_food said:
how 'bout you?

I love proscuitto as well, luvs, but what is beef bresoala? I also love black forrest ham, honeybaked ham and turkey, must have pepperoni on the pizza, ocassional bacon, and corned beef, pastrami. Now I am getting hungry and I ate the last peice of ham this morning in a strata.
bresola is an air-dried beef.

Bacon
Country Ham
Proscuitto
Corned Beef
Kielbasa
Pepperoni
Salami's of all kinds, Hard, Genoa, etc.

luvs_food said:
norgeskog said:
luvs_food said:
how 'bout you?

bresola is an air-dried beef.

thanks luvs, are you feeling better?? hope so.

kyles said:
Oh oh what a great question

I love cured meats
Parma ham
Salami
Good old English gammon

kyles, you did not include bangers, I love those things but cannot find them here in Eugene. I have a friend who lives in Wembledon and when she comes to the states she would fix bangers and mash, sided with peas and a sauce from pan drippings, worcheshire, wine and whatever, do not remember but it was really good. I have a couple of import stores here, I guess I had better ask and look around.

Salami, bacon, double smoked ham, pastrami etc, etc......

Kyles! What about smoked fish?

Kippers! Absolutely brilliant!

Smoked salmon
Smoked Barramundi
Smoked trout

Smoked cheese - bewdiful......

Back
Top Bottom