Favorite Evening Snack

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
But you both post that you eat DESSERT every night. Same thing, just not part of the dinner meal.:rolleyes:
I make desserts most night's we have a yard with apples,nectarines,apricots,peaches,it would be a waste to just let them fall to the ground. I myself very seldom eat any dessert, Can't afford high blood glucose. But I get a kick out of making things for the kids.:LOL: give a lot of fruit away to friends at diyalisis.
kades

I didn't grow up eating snacks either. I don't remember mom making cookies at all but she did keep pies or cakes made almost all the time. We had lots of drop in company, some relatives, some friends and she always wanted to have things on hand. We had our dessert right after the meal, but now dh and I have our dessert a while after the meal, but we eat dinner about 5 or 5:30 pm and have dessert about an hour later - he with coffee - me with a glass of water or iced tea. I keep snacks for the grandchildren and last week when they were here I think they opened about 3 or 4 different things. I also take cookies or cake for my SS class to have with coffee on Sunday, but I eat a very light breakfast so as not to feel guilty.

But you both post that you eat DESSERT every night. Same thing, just not part of the dinner meal.:rolleyes:

Yes, you're correct. Glenn and I usually have some sort of dessert most nights. However, as I was brought up, our evening food consumption ended with the last bite of the evening meal. That's just how it was and I accepted it as the norm and have continued in the same manner the rest of my life.

Having said that, since we do have a dessert most of the time, it's usually a small piece/slice of something. For example, I made a dozen cupcakes the other day. They'll last about a week, actually 6 days. We have had cakes go stale because Glenn and I really aren't sweets eaters. Just a little something to complete a savory meal.

Growing up we never had any sort of snack food in the house. Well, they really weren't around much then. At least not in the volume and variety we see today. The only time we had chips in the house was when my parents cooked hamburgers or hot dogs on the grill during the summertime, and they were eaten as part of the meal. By the same token, my children grew up under the same conditions, so they're not big snackers either.

I'm still finding this topic very interesting and informative. It wasn't my intent to derail the initial discussion but, what's been discussed as a result of my question has been fascinating.

Snacks, mini meals, dessert. They all mean the same to me. Dessert for me is something salty, I'm not a sweet eater. If I have something sweet I must have salty after or I continue to want to eat.

Healthcare is now saying we should eat 6 small meals a day...can you imagine telling your boss you need two lunch breaks?:ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:

I had dental surgery on Thursday, so I had to forgo my cone and just have ice cream. ;)

Mine was always popcorn, preferably popped in bacon fat! A taste of childhood. But .... don't indulge much any more since I shattered a tooth on it. Who needs the bills? I also do not care for desert right after dinner, and might have a bowl of ice cream or a popsicle type treat. But probably cheese with crackers, bread, or fruit.

My favorite snack before bed is protein...a hard boiled FRESH (oops) egg does it for me, with S&P, sometimes dipped in EVOO. If there aren't any hb eggs prepared, a piece (about 1/8" x 3") chunk of St. Albert's Swiss Cheese...I hide the cheese in the back of the fridge so someone else doesn't eat it when I'm not looking. I only get to the St. Albert's cheese factory about once every 2 months...and yes, I buy fresh curds at the same time--when you bite down on fresh cheese curds, they squeak. Those rarely make it home with me--hey, it is almost an hour drive, what am I supposed to do while driving back to the farm by myself? Sing? I'm tone deaf.

Last edited:
curds. . .. . . noooooooooom nom nom

drooling_homer-712749.gif.png

cheese does it for me too!

an all time fave is cheddar, minced raw onion, and spicy mustard on a wheat cracker.

or sharp provolone and hot cappicola with some sesame breadsticks.

cheese does it for me too!

an all time fave is cheddar, minced raw onion, and spicy mustard on a wheat cracker.

or sharp provolone and hot cappicola with some sesame breadsticks.

Makes me miss the cheese shop place down from where I stay when in Sheffield. . .they do an AWESOME cheese Ploughmans lunch, I could eat that for one meal a day.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom