Favorite Helpful Kitchen Hints

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
norgeskog said:
At the risk of sounding nuts or stupid (I am blond so that is my excuse) the non-deflective side the shiny rather than matte finish???? What happens if the other side is up. I heard somewhere that one side should not touch the food you are eating because of the alzeimers (sp) threat with aluminum. What do you know about this? Rumor or truth?

[/img]http://www.e-design-it.com/avatars/green.gif :roll: [color=green]GO DUCKS[/color]

i say non-deflective side up so the heat will be absorbed and not bounced off the foil is all. i don't know about the health risks.

pour lots of salt over a raw egg spilled on the floor. it will firm it up so you can pick it up with paper towels more easily.

I use the plastic cutting boards too. I love them. I just toss them in the dish washer when I'm done. I also wash my sponges in the dw every night. :chef:

norgeskog said:
Thanks for all the postings, some really helpful hints here. Regarding the bleach, thank you, but I do not like to use chemicals that are toxic which is why I have the vinegar book which is where I got the suggestion for cleaning cutting boards and counter tops. My everyday dishes are clear glass, and I add vinegar to the dishwater to keep away spots.

green.gif
:roll: GO DUCKS

I'm with you norgeskog. I have to use plates to cut anything due to the fact the board I have is ages old and came with the house. If I were to get different one I would have no place to store it. Hence, the use of dishes is best. I know will have no residue or something I am not aware of. When you don't have you have to try to be creative? I just want what I eat to be as sanitary as I can. Who knows what you eat when you go to restaurant? Also pay the price for the meal.

sponges get a soap and bleach soak for 2 minutes then rinsed with soap again and rinsed to get soap out .

I use dish cloths for washing my dishes and those green Scotchbrite pads for scrubbing stuff. Every few weeks, I wash all of my dish cloths & dish towels in the washing machine with bleach & laundry detergent.

I keep baking soda on a shelf attached to one of my kitchen sink doors. I use it for scrubbing the coffee & tea stains off of our cups and my ceramic teapots for a quick cleaning. Otherwise, I let my stuff soak in bleach water every few weeks to help get rid of the stains better.

I put vinegar & baking soda down all of our sinks & bath tub drains every few weeks.

My cutting boards are cleaned with a little bit of bleach poured on it and then cleaned off well in the dish water and dries naturally in the dish drainer.

Darlene

We use turmeric in almost every dishes and it lefts a pale yellow stain on chinaware or opal glassware.

I have to wash them by myself with lukewarm water and baking soda.

norgeskog said:
At the risk of sounding nuts or stupid (I am blond so that is my excuse) the non-deflective side the shiny rather than matte finish???? What happens if the other side is up. I heard somewhere that one side should not touch the food you are eating because of the alzeimers (sp) threat with aluminum. What do you know about this? Rumor or truth?

Studies suggest the link between Alzheimers Disease and aluminium foil is unlikely. They haven't found a causal relationship. Check this out...
Aluminium and Alzheimer’s disease - Alzheimer's Society

We use turmeric in almost every dishes and it lefts a pale yellow stain on chinaware or opal glassware.

I have to wash them by myself with lukewarm water and baking soda.

I know that we are talking about kitchen tips but I have to say that I have never used turmeric, I would not know when to use it, or how it flavors. Do you have any good quick recipes that i could try. Maybe a hint or two as to the taste and dishes that it is used in. I have always wanted to try indian food but never had the chance. I do like spicey food and hear that its a must when eating these recipes. I have eaten foods with curry, which i believe is also a must in indian cooking.:rolleyes:

THE YUMMIEST COCKTAIL PARTY MEATBALLS

Stop chopping, use a box grater to grate the onion right into the meat
mixture. Now the pieces blend into the dainty meatballs, plus all the
flavorful juices fall straight into the bowl.

YOUR BEST CHICKEN BREAST EVER

After cooking the chicken, turn it over so the breast side is down and let
sit for 15 min. This simple flip allows juice that would normally drip off
the chicken to flow to the breast, so its more flavorful and moist.

SPEED SEED A POMEGRANATE

Quarter the pomegranate and submerge each section in a bowl filled halfway
with water. Pull the seeds away from the peel and membranes. The seeds will
sink to the bottom of the bowl and the rest will float. Then skim off the
pith, strain out the seeds and use them to top salads and more.

Rehydrating raisins makes them taste juicy. To shorten the soaking time, let
the raisins sit in a pot filled with 3/4 cup boiling water for 5 min.

Last edited by a moderator:
I always have full strength CLR (it removes lime, rust and water marks) in a spray bottle. I like to spray it at night in my sink and then wipe it down with a dry paper cloth. All the water marks disapper and my stainless steel sink and faucet look brand new.

Use a microfiber cloth for cleanup rather than chemicals for your appliances and countertops. Use a moist one for a wipe down and then buff it with a dry one. It works well on glass as well and saves on paper towels and expensive products.

When I buy my meat (which is mostly at the butcher shop). I like to bring it all home and take time to clean it up (I buy a lot of it at a time) and then portion it out and then put it in a freezer safe ziploc that is dated. This takes the prep work out when I have to cook.

Keep cilantro and other herbs fresher by removing them and tossing out the black ones and then soaking them in clean cold water. Then fish them out and dry on cloth towels. Then damp a paper towel and then wrap the cleaned herbs in it and place it in a ziploc and in the vegetable tray in your refrigerator. They stay fresher longer and they are ready without much prep when you need them.

I like to use air neutralizers and not freshners in my house (example Oust). You can spray it liberally after the house is cleaned and all the cooking is complete and in a few minutes the house will smell fresh as it absorbs the orders and does not mask it. Good test is to step out of the house and get back in to see that it really worked. I need this because I cook with a lot of strong spices.

I cover all my leftovers (that I put in the fridge) so I dont have any cross contamination of smells or flavors. I love the gladware containers for this.

best cooking tip of all

clean up the mess as u go. when i don't do this, i feel overwhelmed. if not time to wash em for dishwasher, at least put water in ones hard to clean.

babe

If your bananas start to get too ripe before you can eat them, don't throw them away, just stick them in the freezer, peel an all. The skin will turn black but the banana is just fine. When your ready for them, take them out, pop them in the microwave on defrost and use them in banana bread or just slice them up in your cereal.

If your bananas start to get too ripe before you can eat them, don't throw them away, just stick them in the freezer, peel an all. The skin will turn black but the banana is just fine. When your ready for them, take them out, pop them in the microwave on defrost and use them in banana bread or just slice them up in your cereal.
I do the same, hubby likes to make banana bread.

clean up the mess as u go. when i don't do this, i feel overwhelmed. if not time to wash em for dishwasher, at least put water in ones hard to clean.

babe
I agree it is better to clean as you go.

Another tip : when filling a measuring cup with flour, I level it off with a knife.

Last edited by a moderator:

babe

This is so true especially if you are working with a small space. I find if I am vigilant there is virtually nothing to clean up by the time the meal is served. I am a messy cook and manage to use alot of things while cooking if I dont clean as I go I quickly paint myself in a corner.

another one is keeping clothespins or some other type of clips handy for hoding potato chip or pasta bags and the like shut

I am a messy cook and manage to use alot of things while cooking if I dont clean as I go I quickly paint myself in a corner.

I know exactly what you mean, my dh says that I can use pert near every bowl, plate, pot, pan, dish, fork, knife and spoon just to make TOAST! :ROFLMAO:

Another tip : when filling a measuring cup with flour, I level it off with a knife.

I level off with a knife a lot more than just flour -- white sugar, baking soda, baking powder, other ground spices if they don't have the flat edge on the container.

I have more fun slicing them and tossing in to the dehydrator which turns them into nice snacks. The riper the banana the better.

I also use the dehydrator when cutting up celery. All those leaf tops that get chopped off gets dehydrated. Great for flavoring later for soups and stews. I will also grind down to a powder and replenish my spice jar.

Nothing goes to waste when it comes to produce. All ripe excesses get placed in the dehydrator and stored for later use -- tomatoes, mushrooms, carrots, celery, onions, applesauce, fruits, etc.

Back
Top Bottom