Favorite used for whole cinnamon, nutmeg, and vanilla beans

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Sprout

Sous Chef
For Christmas, I'm giving each of my sisters-in law and aunts a little package containing some nice vanilla beans, a few good quality cinnamon sticks, and a few whole nutmegs. I would like to include some simple use suggestions.
I plan to suggest grating fresh cinnamon and/or nutmeg into their favorite hot beverages (hot chocolate, coffee, warm milk/soy milk/rice milk, honey-lemon water, etc) or on top of vanilla ice cream. I'd also like to include a basic vanilla bean pudding recipe. Other than that, I'm not particularly looking for full recipes, so much as uses, suggestions to add these things to, or places that substituting vanilla bean or freshly grated cinnamon or nutmeg or will add some special oomph to a common dish. Any suggestions?

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I747 using Discuss Cooking mobile app

Favorite used for whole cinnamon, nutneg, and vanilla beans

Well hi, Sprout! A vanilla bean in a little vodka or rum makes a nice vanilla extract. It's also good in homemade Kahlua. It makes a nice infusion in a jar of sugar. I like a little grated nutmeg in any cauliflower dish. It's nice in rice pudding or bread pudding. Cinnamon sticks are good in Russian tea and mulled cider or wine.

Last edited:
Dawg mentioned most of what I was thinking :LOL:

Nutmeg is classic grated into béchamel sauce. Rachael Ray puts it in braised greens. Fresh cinnamon would be nice in banana bread or muffins.

I made apple cider sangria for Thanksgiving with mulled cider, while wine, peach schnapps and chopped apples.

Last edited:
Another thought would be to include a microplane grater if they don't already have one.

I did some recon and everyone has one. :)

Thank for the suggestions! I'll add them to my list.

Clever gift idea Sprout. It's good to see you!

All the things I thought of have been mentioned, except a little fresh grated nutmeg is delicious in steamed spinach.

Thanks, Kayelle! I hope you are well!

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom