Favorite way to have a scallop

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

tsi88kid

Senior Cook
What is everyones favorite way to have a scallop? Id say mine has to be the ever so classic red pepper coulis with maybe a little chive oil.

I think I've only has scallops sauted in a pan with butter, so that way has my vote.
I was the one in the family that ordered the seafood platter broiled, not fried, so developed a taste for breading on very few things.

I agree with everyone above, nothing beats a good pan seared scallop. But with the red pepper coulis its just amazing.

Pan seared in bacon fat, s&p, garlic, white wine at the end.... yep!

Occasionally I will lightly dust the scallops with a bit of flour, cornmeal, and seasonings, then pan sear in butter or bacon fat. Gives it a bit of crust without coating it. LOVE EM!

We LOVE scallops, & are lucky in that a small local market carries the hockey-puck-size dry-pack ones regularly.

One of our many favorite ways to enjoy them is pan-seared in a cast-iron skillet & served with a small dollop of fresh basil pesto atop each one.

Another fun topping post-searing is some warmed Thai Sweet Chili sauce.

My favorite is the simple hot pan sear in butter, just till barely done. Then deglazing the pan with wine and a bit of lemon and a cold piece of butter for a light easy sauce. Of course I also like to wrap them with a piece of partially cooked bacon, skewer them, brush with a bit of oil and cook on the grill.

I love them raw in the shell with a thick home made gazpacho. Or still in the shell grilled with a spicy cilantro butter. Always one of my catering crowd pleasers.

Pan seared with shallots and white wine, breaded and deep fried with french fries and cole slaw. I have also made a chowder when I get the bay scallops. I also love them raw with a drizzle of lime juice.

My favorite way is at a restaurant off of a hibachi table(the surf and turf)..........not being funny here......truly I do.......but I will certainly try some of your recipes.....do y'all prefer the smaller ones or the larger ones......I never know which are the best to buy or does it matter? Our grocery store stocks both kinds ever so often. Thanks!

I MUCH prefer the sea scallops (large ones) to the bay scallops (small ones). There is no comparison IMO.

Wraped with bacon and sage....seared, and placed on top a pool of beurre blanc. Sauvignon blanc please.

For pan-searing, the sea scallops are best. I like to use the bay scallops in seafood au gratin.

Generally, I like a good tartar sauce with seared sea scallops, but I think I'll try the sweet Thai chili sauce next time - that sounds great :)

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom