February 21, 2023, Taco Tuesday anyone?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Had the last of the freezer Mac'n Cheese. Also the last of some grape tomatoes, wrinkled as could be but still tasty. Those little guys were over 2 weeks old, ugly but still good, amazing!
I’m having a similar experience with a three pack of romaine.

The last head has been waiting patiently for two weeks.

Today may be the day! ????

@dragnlaw, I tend to roast those wrinkled tomatoes to add to a sauce. Anything to not waste, right?

@Aunt Bea, you might like to try this soup to use up the romaine, what with winter marching across the country right now. I've made it just a couple of times, each time with a different green to use up, and it's always turned out fine.

That looks delicious. What's in the lettuce cups and in the stir fry?
Lettuce cups very simple. Regular cabbage cut in strips, tofu , shiitake mushrooms , water chestnuts
Quick stir fry to keep texture. Add a little salt , a few drops of toasted sesame oil and I also put in a few pinches of MSG.
Once cooked, just load up the lettuce leaf.
Ive also seen with chopped peppers, crunched up uncooked ramen noodles and chicken.
The whole thing should take under 5 minutes once start cooking.

***The cabbage absorbs the salt quickly, so if making in advance, may need to salt again prior to serving***

Stir fry is Broccoli, wheat gluten rolls ( which sounds disgusting, but dont taste like much, nice texture and a good protein) and tree ear fungus.
- Rehydrate tree ears in warm water
- I usually pre stir fry the broccoli in a little oil ( a few minutes, keeping the crunch) I sprinkle it with salt and garlic powder , mix , put aside .
- Fry up the wheat gluten til a little crispy, add some soy sauce ( I used this Indonesian soy sauce which was a little sweet and really tasted good), a little oyster sauce ( I use mushroom 'oyster ' sauce. Stir and coat the gluten. Add a little rice wine, and possibly a little water or broth to get a consistency that is thick enough to coat everything, but the enough to slightly flow.
***Good chance I added some ginger and garlic but I dont remember ***
- add broccoli and tree ears in at the end and mix.

***The mushroom oyster sauce is the exact brand I use, the others are pics of similar products***

Attachments

• Wheat gluten Rolls.png
    Wheat gluten Rolls.png
    503.1 KB · Views: 2
  • Mushroom oyster sauce.jpg
    Mushroom oyster sauce.jpg
    115.8 KB · Views: 2
  • Sweet soy sauce.png
    Sweet soy sauce.png
    463.5 KB · Views: 2
Lettuce cups very simple. Regular cabbage cut in strips, tofu , shiitake mushrooms , water chestnuts
Quick stir fry to keep texture. Add a little salt , a few drops of toasted sesame oil and I also put in a few pinches of MSG.
Once cooked, just load up the lettuce leaf.
Ive also seen with chopped peppers, crunched up uncooked ramen noodles and chicken.
The whole thing should take under 5 minutes once start cooking.

***The cabbage absorbs the salt quickly, so if making in advance, may need to salt again prior to serving***

Stir fry is Broccoli, wheat gluten rolls ( which sounds disgusting, but dont taste like much, nice texture and a good protein) and tree ear fungus.
- Rehydrate tree ears in warm water
- I usually pre stir fry the broccoli in a little oil ( a few minutes, keeping the crunch) I sprinkle it with salt and garlic powder , mix , put aside .
- Fry up the wheat gluten til a little crispy, add some soy sauce ( I used this Indonesian soy sauce which was a little sweet and really tasted good), a little oyster sauce ( I use mushroom 'oyster ' sauce. Stir and coat the gluten. Add a little rice wine, and possibly a little water or broth to get a consistency that is thick enough to coat everything, but the enough to slightly flow.
***Good chance I added some ginger and garlic but I dont remember ***
- add broccoli and tree ears in at the end and mix.

***The mushroom oyster sauce is the exact brand I use, the others are pics of similar products***
I have a recipe for homemade, vegan, mushroom "oyster" sauce. I looked for something that wasn't full of sugar and weird chemicals. One of these days I will get around to making some.

Back
Top Bottom