Feed Me Friday ~ January 27, 2023

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Cooking Goddess

Chef Extraordinaire
I wanted comfort food but couldn't pick which dish. Himself picked mashed potato soup over Longhorn Colby cheese, topped with minced raw onions (just one of two times I eat raw onions), and vinegar. I like a big splash of apple Cider and a little dribble of Balsamic, Himself tops his with a generous glue of malt vinegar.

20230127_201406.jpg

What did you eat tonight?

I wanted comfort food but couldn't pick which dish. Himself picked mashed potato soup over Longhorn Colby cheese, topped with minced raw onions (just one of two times I eat raw onions), and vinegar. I like a big splash of apple Cider and a little dribble of Balsamic, Himself tops his with a generous glue of malt vinegar.

View attachment 63360

What did you eat tonight?
I have never heard of this. Please elaborate.

We had a Thai inspired dish for supper. There was Thai green curry paste, onions (maybe it should have been shallots), garlic, Asian stir fry mix veggies, chicken breast, and coconut milk. I served it with brown basmati rice. Oh, and I added some halved mushrooms (that DH can easily find and remove them from his serving.). They were good, but they didn't seem "to go with" the rest of the meal.

Thai style chicken and veggies with brown basmati rice.jpgThai style chicken and veggies with brown basmati rice 2.jpg

Last edited:
I have never heard of this. Please elaborate.
It's basically runny mashed potatoes poured over cheese. Starchy potatoes like russets work best. Simmer potatoes in salted water, save the water when you drain it from the potatoes. After you mash them, add water back until it's pretty loose. Make a bit of Roux to add into the loose potatoes. You really need to do that step - just mixing in a tablespoon or two of butter to thicker potatoes doesn't work. Simmer a few minutes to thicker a bit and blend the flavors. Chop up any flavorful cheese - sharp cheddar works good.

It's basically runny mashed potatoes poured over cheese. Starchy potatoes like russets work best. Simmer potatoes in salted water, save the water when you drain it from the potatoes. After you mash them, add water back until it's pretty loose. Make a bit of Roux to add into the loose potatoes. You really need to do that step - just mixing in a tablespoon or two of butter to thicker potatoes doesn't work. Simmer a few minutes to thicker a bit and blend the flavors. Chop up any flavorful cheese - sharp cheddar works good.
Sounds interesting. Danes often use "potato water" to thin mashed potatoes. Please tell me more about the onions and vinegar.

Stir fry (steamed): cook: onions, peppers, carrots, cabbage, mushrooms, then add a little honey, soy sauce, garlic powder, water chestnuts, broccoli trees, yellow peppers, some corn starch slurry, stir and cover for 2 minutes, ready to eat. Served with veggie brown basmati rice.

Supper was Gruyere cheese and Rosemary/Oregano Crackers. (a fantastic find from the Dollar Store, I might add, - light delicate crackers)

Late lunch was the jambalaya. Actually was better, corn and shrimp had time to meld in. But should have added more seasoning originally.

Back
Top Bottom