Fermented Pickle Question

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

PJ5000

Assistant Cook
I’ve got a batch of fermented Kosher Dills going in my crock. Very basic: salt, dill, filtered water, dill seed, peppercorns, garlic and red pepper.

I used the recipe multiple times while in California, and every time got same results. After about 3 days, bubbles start and pectin scum forms on top that gets skimmed off. After about 10 -15 days, they are done. No a/c in the house and a inside temp of 60-65 degrees.

Moved to Florida, decided to make some more. After 3 days, get some bubbles and very little pectin scum. Let sit for 7 more days, checking everyday. Still not a lot of action. Pull one and try on day 10, tastes good but not quite done. A/C in the house set at 70, turned down to 68. Now I’m at day 13, and getting tons of pectin scum.

Can 2 degrees really make that much difference? I’m not worried about this batch, brine smells good and the pickles are great. I just worried that next time I try this and they sit in the crock for 10 days with little to no biological action, that I’m going to ruin a batch.

I believe it is the Ph of the water, the symptoms sound like your water is more acidic where you live now. I am not an expert, but all the info I've been taking into my brain points to needing more acid at the start of a ferment. But I think you have enough.

Another thing might be how you clean your jars. I never use soap, just clean water. So my ferments take off rather fast because of the amount of bacteria left on the glass. However I do intend to use a teaspoon of sauerkraut brine to kick-start my salsa. I wouldn't recommend it in pickles.

Back
Top Bottom