Fermented Sriracha?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Sprout

Sous Chef
Can sriracha ferment? I know a lot of Asian sauces are already fermented and sriracha seems to have a high acidity level so I'm not sure how well it supports microorganisms, but I just put some on my food and it tasted a bit boozy. I opened the bottle and smelled it and it smells a bit like alcohol as well. I haven't drank in years so I'm not certaing but that's what ot seems like. Does it sound possible for hot sauce to ferment?

Either way, it's past the date and I'm chucking it, but I'm curious.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I747 using Discuss Cooking mobile app

Hm. I had some of the "rooster" sriracha, used it well beyond the best-by date, and it was fine. Did you have it out, or in the fridge?

In the fridge. It was Lee Kum Kee brand. I don't mind too much. I have rooster in the pantry to replace it. :)

Huh. I have no idea then! As long as you have some form of sriracha!

We shouldn't use one maker's sauce to predict the behavior of another. Lee Kum Kee is quite different from the more renowned Huy Fong product ("rooster" sauce). Lee Kum Kee ingredients are:

Red Chili, Sugar, Salt, Garlic, Fish (anchovy) Extract, Lactic Acid, Acetic Acid, Ascorbic Acid.

Huy Fong ingredients are:

Chili, sugar, salt, garlic, distilled vinegar, potassium sorbate, sodium bisulfite as preservatives and xanthan gum.

The difference is to some extent in how they instill the umami flavor. One does it with fish (although I have no idea if Lee Kum Kee does any fermentation) in the tradition of Asian fish sauce and ancient Roman garum. The other does it with mild fermentation. It's impossible to tell which is more acidic from the lists. Vinegar (acetic acid) is high on one list, but the other lists multiple acids lower in the list. Lee Kum Kee includes lactic acid. That's usually included to slow or stop yeast spoilage. I wouldn't say that either of them will NEVER ferment in the bottle. It seems to be very rare, but I think I would trust your nose. Doesn't matter what's happening, if it spoils the flavor.

One thing I notice about the list of ingredients is that the Lee Kum Kee brand does not contain any preservatives, while the Huy Fong brand does (potassium sorbate and sodium bisulfite both inhibit fermentation). So I suppose it is possible for it to ferment. As for refrigeration, it will slow down yeast growth, but not completely stop it. I know this from experience. I've bought pails of unpasteurized wine grape juice that's been actively fermenting at the time of purchase, even though stored at 36° F.

Thanks for the insight, all! Interesting stuff.

I had a bottle of Huy Fong sriracha ferment (it was years past the label date), I didn't realize it and kind of lost my taste for sriracha because of it.

Back
Top Bottom