Fiona's Murphy Slaw

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

PrincessFiona60

Ogress Supreme
Moderator Emeritus
Fiona's Murphy Slaw

Salad:
1 head green cabbage, fine shredded
1/2 head red cabbage, fine shredded
1 bunch green onions, sliced
1 large carrot, fine shredded
2 Fuji Apples, julienned
2 Asian Pears, julienned
1 cup dried cranberries
1/2 cup pecan pieces

Dressing:
1 cup Mayonnaise
1 tsp salt
1 tsp celery seed
1 cup cider vinegar

OOPS! 1/4 cup Spicy brown Mustard

Whisk all in bowl and pour over salad...but I messed up...I grabbed the squeeze bottle of Spicy Brown Mustard instead of the Mayo and got about a quarter cup in there before I realized my mistake.

It's delish!

The dressing was giving me fits. Usually, for a joke, I'll add tuna to something it doesn't belong in...like Shrek's birthday cake one year (just on one corner, not the whole cake!).

Wow, Princess. That was fast, and it sounds really, really good. If your Harry Potter test is anything like this, I'm doomed. ROFL

So are we!! Thanks! We aren't big on mustard so I will probably cut back on it. Just enough for a taste.
I took this to another level--I used 1 kohlrabi in addition to the apple, used key lime juice, and poppy seeds (no pears--yuck), dried cherries, and walnuts. I also used equal parts mayo and "yogurt" cheese (could have been Greek yogurt). It's chilling for tonight--I have some homemade sausages thawing. It has been really humid here lately (I'm on my 4th change of clothes for today and have been running through the sprinkler--first time when I got back at 6:30 from walking the dogs, again at 8:30 after using the push mower to mow alongside the driveway--about to go through the sprinkler again
), so I don't want to cook--but will grill the sausages.

Last edited:
Okay, today I made this:

1/2 head purple cabbage
1 head Napa cabbage
1 small head green cabbage
2 carrots
2 apples
1 cucumber
1/2 knob ginger
3 shallots
dried cherries
roasted walnuts
cider vinegar
EVOO
light sesame seed oil
soy sauce
key lime juice
No mayo--this is an oil and vinegar slaw
Yes, S&P to taste
Everything is to taste--depends on how much cabbage you have. I didn't weigh the cabbage, or the apple, cucumber, carrot, shallot. I have to stop eating it...

Where does the "Murphy" come from? The inspiration lets me play with this. Yum.

Okay, today I made this:

1/2 head purple cabbage
1 head Napa cabbage
1 small head green cabbage
2 carrots
2 apples
1 cucumber
1/2 knob ginger
3 shallots
dried cherries
roasted walnuts
cider vinegar
EVOO
light sesame seed oil
soy sauce
key lime juice
No mayo--this is an oil and vinegar slaw
Yes, S&P to taste
Everything is to taste--depends on how much cabbage you have. I didn't weigh the cabbage, or the apple, cucumber, carrot, shallot. I have to stop eating it...

Where does the "Murphy" come from? The inspiration lets me play with this. Yum.

Looks good, I'll be trying this combo...love slaw.

Murphy's Law...Murphy Slaw...

Both of these recipes look scrumptious. I'm also a cole slaw/cabbage lover. I love the sweet/tart flavor of the added fruit. On the first recipe it calls for a tsp of celery seed. That seems like a lot. Perhaps it is just me who finds the taste of celery seed objectionable.

I also like my cabbage very finely chopped (ala Chick-Fil-A) style. Is there an easier and less messy way to achieve that texture I prefer? I usually cross-chop the cabbage which scatters cabbage bits all over the kitchen. Must be a better way without buying some sort of fancy-wancy kitchen appliance.

That sounds delicious, princess. I love the idea of the addition of dried cranberries and walnuts. :yum:

Both of these recipes look scrumptious. I'm also a cole slaw/cabbage lover. I love the sweet/tart flavor of the added fruit. On the first recipe it calls for a tsp of celery seed. That seems like a lot. Perhaps it is just me who finds the taste of celery seed objectionable.

I also like my cabbage very finely chopped (ala Chick-Fil-A) style. Is there an easier and less messy way to achieve that texture I prefer? I usually cross-chop the cabbage which scatters cabbage bits all over the kitchen. Must be a better way without buying some sort of fancy-wancy kitchen appliance.

As with all my recipes, feel free to reduce, increase or omit any ingredient. I just report what I used.

A box grater could give you the right chop or even a food processor. Since I have never been to a Chik-Fil-A I am unaware of how fine their cabbage is. Shrek pulverizes his once I am done making most food, so texture is a personal thing, too.

That sounds delicious, princess. I love the idea of the addition of dried cranberries and walnuts. :yum:

I hope you try it, it is really good. Since I have such a craving for raw cabbage lately, I've been trying different things.

I have the grating attachment for my FP. I send small quarters of the cabbage through the chute, then change blades to the cutting blade. I pulse it for just a couple of times, as you don't want to make mush. So much quicker and cleaner. :angel:

Looks good, I'll be trying this combo...love slaw.

Murphy's Law...Murphy Slaw...
Ahh--that makes sense. I liked the dash of sesame seed oil since I was kinda going Asian. Forgot to mention that I added chopped fresh Thai basil right before serving.

For those who don't like celery seed, I sometimes use poppy seed in my slaw.

Ahh--that makes sense. I liked the dash of sesame seed oil since I was kinda going Asian. Forgot to mention that I added chopped fresh Thai basil right before serving.

For those who don't like celery seed, I sometimes use poppy seed in my slaw.

I was challenged at the time to create a recipe that would be under Murphy's Law...I got the recipe and a pun out of it...doubly good.

Back
Top Bottom