First Day of Spring Dinner - 3/20/2017

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

tenspeed

Executive Chef
To celebrate the first day of spring, along with shoveling the snow off the patio to have access to my grill, we're doing burgers on the grill and oven fries.

img_1503396_0_163c8f83f23cdf105aadc8e4adc55a7d.jpg

We had Deandine's red beans chili and Pawmaw's corn mush ( slightly modified) and purple nachos.

Deandine was foodie friend of mine and she gave me this recipe with the mush, along time ago. I just found it few days ago and went a head and made it. Normally it has very few red beans in it, I added more and the corn mush used to be a smooth corn pure with double the amount of cheddar to corn, I changed it to half amount of cheese to the corn ratio, otherwise it just a weird cheese sauce and only pureed half the corn. The purple nachos, just happened to be on A WOW this is new offer, so I grab it. Every one enjoyed this dinner and it made me miss sweet Dindin as we called her.

Not sure at this point. SO was up way too early with some kind of stomach/intestinal bug and is feeling very "drained". I'll just have something simple.

I am going to cut up some beef and cook it in a mesquite envelope mix I got at the store. Then I'm going to put it it in tortillas with cheese and sour cream. That will be supper tonight.

CI skillet roasted chicken thighs, green beans and potatoes... 1 pan, little cleanup... Finish off the bread pudding a bit later... :yum:

Florida lobster with Cajun butter and Cajun rice ala Paul Prudhomme's recipe. The butter has the trinity plus a carrot, various spices, including cayenne, fresh basil and oregano. We're saving the rest of the butter for grilled shrimp later on.

picture.php

Med, I've been dreaming of Lobster lately! Saw some "previously frozen" tiny little tails at the green grocer for $9.99 each...not worth it.

Whole Wheat Penne pasta with Chicken Italian sausage and Broccoli Rabe.jpg
[file photo]

Whole Wheat Penne pasta with Chicken Italian sausage and Broccoli Rabe.
Heh! That sounds kinda like a Spring dish, doesn't it

Just got home from taking care of the grands' all day. Fun day. I'm going to griddle a deli ham and cheese sandwich shortly and have something else, maybe yogurt or just a banana.

I had a bun-less grilled cheeseburger with avocado, tomato, and bacon. Cottage cheese on the side. Sort of a take on the old 1970s "diet platter" I suppose. :rolleyes:

Last edited:
We ate like it was 1969 tonight: meatloaf, green beans, and "Mommy, are you mad at Daddy?" mashed potatoes. Oh yeah, they were that smooth. :LOL:

Attachments

• 20170320_205830.jpg
    20170320_205830.jpg
    58.4 KB · Views: 114
No photos. Ran into town to get my travel tickets, etc. Got home late, so I did my fallback--salmon. Instead of the usual wild rice side dish, I made mushroom-pea risotto. I haven't made risotto since ... 1980? Glad to know I could do to it from memory and both the Elders devoured it.They had side salads to got with it. Just saying, nice to know I still have the touch.

Last edited:
First day of spring her was 90-degrees. I'm not looking forward to this summer.

I had a very late supper. I got called to do a job in Fort Worth at the last minute, and when I got home, I had to edit and photoshop, so I started cooking at around 9PM.

An 8-ounce thick piece of USDA Prime Ribeye steak. Thick, but not big around. Sous vide, then seared in cast iron with some butter. A wedge of lettuce with blue cheese dressing for a side. Simple, but good.

CD

I made pan-seared pork chops with mixed sautéed vegetables and twice-baked potatoes mixed with Potato Topping (a packaged mixture of bacon bits and dried chives, onions and garlic) and cheddar and Parmigiano Reggiano cheeses. I also made a creamy mustard-white wine pan sauce
0320172003b_HDR.jpg

Back
Top Bottom