First year growing Kale....any recipe ideas?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Gracie's Kitchen

Assistant Cook
Last night I sauteed it in a bit of garlic and olive oil. Added a little water to cook it down. Topped it with a little salt and pepper and a very small drizzle of sweet red wine vinegar. It didn't do a lot for me.

Have you used it in cabbage salad? Baked it to a crispy crunch? I've heard of this, but haven't tried it yet. Any ideas for using it? Does it freeze to use later for soup? It seems like it would be full of nutrients.

Ideas welcomed!

My favorite way to use kale is in soups...veggie, ministrone, potato, kielbasa/cabbage...the list goes on. I really can't think of another way I've used it, except as a garnish.

Though I do not have it, I've seen Olive Garden's recipe for Souppe Tuscana online. It has kale in it. If the soup recipe is anything like the restaurant's recipe, it is kale done right. :)

~Kathleen

Kale is one of those things that needs fairly long cooking to be satisfying and tasty.

*Step #1.Fill a big pot with water.

*While waiting for it to boil, remove the thickest part of the kale stem, but leave the rest.

*You could salt the water if you want.

*Stuff a whole bunch of the trimmed kale into the water, let it boil a wee bit, turn the heat down, and cook for 10 - 15 minutes. This is for mature kale. For younger kale, try maximum 5 minutes.

*It is properly cooked when it has started to turn off-green, ie, no longer bright green. At this point it becomes somewhat sweet. That's what you want.
It has been suggested that this longer cooking method removes harsh, possibly medicinal substances that you do not need. At the same time, minerals are transformed into a more digestible state.

*Step #2: Drain into a colander. Let cool for a bit so you can handle it.

*Chop the kale up, add natural soy sauce or plain salt if you wish, a bit of oil and it is ready to eat.

*But if you want really, really tasty kale, sautee the chopped-up kale in some oil first, adding some garlic or minced onion. After sauteeing and stirring a bit, it's ready. It is extra nice with a bit of lemon juice, salt or whatever you like.

*I promise you, it will be good. ;)

Same procedure goes for collards.

besides all of the soup ideas, it can be used in a stir fry after being blanched a bit.

it's also good used in bean salads, again after blanching or sauteeing down so it won't be so tough.

Actually, I have to respectfully disagree with "DaisyMae" a bit. Unless you're dealing with huge old leaves, Kale definitely does not require a "fairly long cooking time". Certainly not as long as I've had to cook thicker greens like Collards. There's nothing like mushy grayish-green greens to turn you off Kale (& other cooked greens) forever - lol! If you're growing it yourself or buying from a farmers market, picking or choosing young & tender leaves - & especially flat-leaf types like "Red Russian" - don't require particularly long cooking at all. In fact, tender young Kale is at its best when just a wee bit past the wilted stage - like any other fresh young green. Here are two of my favorite recipes for enjoying it, neither of which cooks the kale much past wilting stage & both absolutely delicious:

BREEZY GREEK PENNE PASTA WITH KALE AND FETA

1 pound penne pasta (Barilla is my favorite brand), cooked according to package directions & drained
1 block/container of Feta cheese, chopped/crumbled
Approx. 24 Kalamata olives, pitted, & roughly chopped **
Approx. 1 pound Kale, rinsed, stems removed & discarded, & leaves roughly sliced/chopped
1 red onion, peeled & chopped
A few dollops of extra virgin olive oil for sauteeing
Dash or so of chicken broth or water
Dash of crushed red pepper flakes (optional)

While the cooked pasta is draining in a colander, heat the olive oil & saute the onion until soft but not brown in the pot the pasta was cooked in. Add the kale, stir a bit, & add a dash or 2 of chicken broth or water to prevent burning. Add chopped olives & stir until kale has wilted down. Add cooked pasta, feta cheese, & crushed red pepper & stir again until pasta is heated through. Serve hot or at room temperature.

** If you can’t obtain pitted olives, pitting them is accomplished easily by simply placing your broad kitchen knife (sharp side away from you) over each olive & briskly hitting down on the knife with your hand. Olive will break open & pit will be easy to remove.

BREEZY PORTUGUESE KALE & TURKEY SAUSAGE SOUP

One medium onion, peeled & chopped
One pound of kale, de-ribbed & roughly sliced/chopped
1-1/2 quarts or so of chicken stock (if not homemade, I usually use one carton + one can of Swanson's)
Two medium potatoes, peeled & diced -OR- two cans of cannelini/white kidney beans, rinsed **
One package (usually 12 to 16 ounces) turkey kielbasa sausage, sliced
Extra Virgin Olive Oil
Salt & Pepper to taste

In a large soup pot add enough olive oil to coat the bottom & saute onion until starting to soften, but not brown. Add sliced sausage & continue sauteeing until everything is just starting to brown a little. Add chicken stock & diced potatoes (if using) & simmer until potatoes are tender - about 15 minutes or so. Add kale & continue cooking until kale is tender. (** if using beans instead of potatoes, add chicken stock & bring to a simmer. Add kale & cook until tender; then add beans & stir gently until beans are just heated thru.) Add salt & freshly ground black pepper to taste & serve.

I thought I had mentioned that youngish leaves don't need to be cooked for very long.

But even full-size older leaves of flat varieties like "Red Russian" can be sauteed up in 10 minutes. That's not very long. I consider "long cooking" of greens to be 30-45 minutes or longer - what southern folks frequently do to thicker-leaved & bitterer (is that a word? Lol!) greens like Collards, particularly when cooking with a ham hock or smoked turkey piece. Kale doesn't need that kind of treatment. Heck, the recipes I've posted above were originally developed using full-size "Curly Blue" Kale, & neither required anything remotely resembling "long cooking time".

Again - you're entitled to your opinion. I just don't agree with it. And I use a LOT of Kale. Plus, I like a bit of "tooth" to my greens. I really dislike facing a grayish-green overcooked mess o' greens. But many folks like them this way, & there's nothing wrong with it. It's just not my cup of tea, & not a necessary way of cooking them to enjoy them.

Well, I consider "long cooking" of kale to be 10-15 minutes, which is what I said in my post. 30-45 minutes or longer would make a mush out of it. In any case you are correct: different strokes for different folks. I don't think sauteeing is the best way to go for taste, but then, again, we all have different taste buds. I tend to go for "tradition" and longer cooking (till bright green is gone) seems to be the old way of doing things.

"Southerners love their greens. A time-honored tradition in southern kitchens, greens have held an important place on the table for well over a century, and there is no other vegetable that is quite so unique to the region. Greens are any sort of cabbage in which the green leaves do not form a compact head. They are mostly kale, collards, turnip, spinach, and mustard greens."

I found the above someplace on the internet, never kept track of where. I ask you, is there any food nicer than greens?

Oh, I definitely agree with you there!! Collards & Turnip Greens aren't my favorites - much prefer Kale & sometimes Mustard Greens. Once in awhile I'll make a batch of "mixed greens" using all of them along with some sauteed onion & a smoked turkey wing or drumstick. I did recently come across a recipe (from the June/July 2010 issue of "Fine Cooking" magazine) that I might try next time I come across young Collards. It calls for slicing the Collards into julienne-thin ribbons & quick-sauteeing them with malt vinegar, garlic, crushed red pepper flakes, salt, & - believe it or not - a small dash of maple syrup. Sounded interesting.

Oh, I definitely agree with you there!! Collards & Turnip Greens aren't my favorites - much prefer Kale & sometimes Mustard Greens.

Heaven Forfend! I grow & love my "7-Top" turnip greens.

Do you by any chance grow mustard greens? I am trying Osaka Purple and Florida Broadleaf this year, as a secondary crop where the peas were. So they are only a few inches tall now, but they grow fast.

Hi,

There is a German recipe called "Gruenkohl" which is essentially Kale simmered in broth, mustard and with a thick slice of ham, and a few sausages are simmered with it. Served with boiled potatoes (usually to then be crushed together with the kale with your fork). Great winter dish. I don't have time to type my recipe at the moment, but the below one is pretty close:

-----

Try cooked kale and sausage as a winter comfort food. Germans celebrate winter with a "Gruenkohlfahrt", which is a brisk hike accompanied by schnapps and a warm kale dinner afterwards. Cooked kale is mixed with mustard, bacon and sausage for a nutritious dinner.
Makes 2 - 3 large portions
See larger image

Prep Time: 30 minutes

Cook Time: 1 hour, 15 minutes

Total Time: 1 hour, 45 minutes

Ingredients:

• 1 lb. kale, about 12 oz. cleaned and chopped
  • 2 pieces of bacon chopped, or 50 grams of "Bauchspeck" diced
  • 1/2 onion, chopped
  • 2 tsp. beef bouillon
  • 1 T. mustard
  • Pepper
  • Various sausage, such as bratwurst, frankfurters or other
  • Thick slice of ham (optional)
Preparation:

Clean kale, remove the thick middle stem and chop. Blanch for 1 minute in boiling water and drain. You may also use frozen kale (looks like spinach) if you can find it (frozen kale is popular in Germany).
Brown the bacon in a pan, sauté the onion in it and add the kale. Cook for 2-3 minutes and then add water to cover. Stir in beef bouillon. Simmer for 30 minutes.
Add the mustard and stir. Place the sausages and meat on top of the kale and simmer for another 30 minutes. Pepper to taste, salt only after tasting as the meat is salty.
Serve with boiled potatoes and potatoes browned in butter and sugar.

I use homemade beef broth. The amount is up to you. I usually have mine a little "wet", so a little bit of the simmered liquid on the plate -keeps the dish a little juicier if and when you smash the potatoes into the kale ;) I have seen it a bit drier as well, as I think the recipe above may turn out. Up to you.

I also use a bit more mustard and lots of pepper!

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom