Fleischmann's active dry yeast

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

GetMeTheBigKnife

Senior Cook
I am baking tonight and noticed my yeast expired in April 02 - can I still use it? I just bought it yesterday from a small local grocer.

its just a goofy apple recipe, so I will try. Thanks for responding so fast. I've had this itch for baking for a while now...makes me happy deep in the soul.

I agree with mudbug. Give it a shot. It should work, but some of the yeast in the packet has very likely died. Worst case is it won't work well, so feed it with 115-degree (F) water, add a 1/2 tsp. of sugar and see what happens in five minutes.

If you happened to get two packages (or three) sealed together in a strip, all with the same 02 expiration date, I'd use at least two....if the proofing test doesn't bubble like the dickens.

GetMeTheBigKnife said:
I am baking tonight and noticed my yeast expired in April 02 - can I still use it? I just bought it yesterday from a small local grocer.

It will not hurt you GMTBK nothing will raise. However, I had a similar situation and used twice the amount. But with that date, and having just purchased it I would exchange it.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom