Food Grade Lavender

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Count Omulis

Assistant Cook
So a few years ago, a friend of mine made a lavender cake, which was awesome. I was wanting to do some playing with lavender, but am having troubles finding any food grade lavender anywhere. I have tried online stores like Penzeys, and searched many of the food stores in town, but to no avail. Anybody have any ideas as to where to find this elusive ingredient?

It's not easy to find. The best way is to grow a couple of pots of it yourself. I have been growing it now for about 15 years. Nowadays, I have outdoor space, and the plants tend to last several years, growing larger and more lush each year, even though I'm in New Jersey, where I wouldn't have suspected that could happen.

I would LOVE to have the recipe for the Lavender cake, if that's possible. Would be glad to trade one for Lavender Caramel Ice Cream, which I am compelled to make at least once a summer under penalty of death from friends. ;)

Thank you, definitely going to go look. I will have to track down the friend sometime and find the recipe, it was for her birthday cake, and I fell in love with the flavor. From what I have heard, Lavender makes great custards as well. Not to mention using it in teas, etc. I just want to play with it, it seems like a very promising, under-used herb. The Ice Cream recipe definitely sounds delicious.

My band sometimes plays in Sequim WA at the lavender festival. The street vendors there sell the most amazing collection of festival food with lavender. lemonade, chocolate, pies, Duck tacos w/ lavender, ice-cream, etc. The locals call it catnip for women.....

:)

My band sometimes plays in Sequim WA at the lavender festival. The street vendors there sell the most amazing collection of festival food with lavender. lemonade, chocolate, pies, Duck tacos w/ lavender, ice-cream, etc. The locals call it catnip for women.....

:)

"catnip for women"......:LOL: Isn't that the truth!! I have dreams of rolling in a lavender field in the south of France.

:LOL: kayelle, you nut

I have a question....what makes Lavender "Food Grade"? Is there a Lavender that is NOT "Food Grade"? If so, why so?

:LOL: kayelle, you nut

I have a question....what makes Lavender "Food Grade"? Is there a Lavender that is NOT "Food Grade"? If so, why so?

Much of the lavender grown today is sold for fragrance. This lavender is treated with chemicals that render it unsafe for consumption.

This is my screensaver.......

img_901764_0_cbbbccb55286623a8e2365b00d1450c2.jpg

ChefJune said:
Much of the lavender grown today is sold for fragrance....treated with chemicals that render it unsafe for consumption
oh...good to know...thanks ChefJune. I prefer fresh herbs anyway and that's almost all I use. I love the smell of lavender but I can't imagine liking the taste of it.

That's sooo beautiful, kayelle

So good and great news. I not only finally found lavender, I found two stores in town that carry it, and not too bad of a price either (one store is 1.98/oz. not salt, but not saffron either). I cant wait to try some recipes. looking at custards, ice creams, cakes...it seems like it can be pretty versatile, though most of my endeavors are going to be more desserty.

Lovely Lavender

I grow my own lavender but I did see some at Whole Foods.
Lavender is part of the mint family.
I get a pitcher of water and throw some lavender in it then put in fridge - so refreshing.

Me too...I just mowed the front lawn and now it's time to stand over the floor vent Marilyn Monroe style :LOL: ...well, maybe just put our feet up on the Veranda...whew...here's to you, kayelle...
...and to all the Lavender lovers here :flowers: ...cheers!

Alas, I found out in culinary school that I am as allergic to lavender eating it as I am smelling it. We were working with herbs de Provence, in these delicious broiled tomatoes. I ate me tomato and instantly my face swole up, my eyes watered and I began to cough like crazy. I didn't notice it as I was adding it to the buttered bread crumbs, but I did when I ate it.

So, no lavender for me - food grade or not!

Back
Top Bottom