Food in the News

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Recently, in GB, Levi Roots took issue with a well-known celebrity chef because of a version of Jamaican Jerk rice, which, it was claimed, was not really what it should have been it was supposed to be. I'd be curious to try some.

The one that really grabs me is a risotto, made at the restaurant 'il Marchesino', close by to the Teatro alla Scala in Milan. The recipe is a closely guarded secret, and aside from saying that they use Carnaroli rice, lots of butter, parmesan, butter and Parmesan, but it has a certain flourish: it's garnished with GOLD LEAF! Taste it? Who wouldn't! I've heard say that it's sublime, but at 300 Euro's a portion, it's way beyond my budget. Of course it's also the ambience, but I can't afford an Armani dress, and I don't have the jewelry, so it remains in my dreams!

di reston

Enough is never as good as a feast Oscar Wilde

Recently, in GB, Levi Roots took issue with a well-known celebrity chef because of a version of Jamaican Jerk rice, which, it was claimed, was not really what it should have been it was supposed to be. I'd be curious to try some.

The one that really grabs me is a risotto, made at the restaurant 'il Marchesino', close by to the Teatro alla Scala in Milan. The recipe is a closely guarded secret, and aside from saying that they use Carnaroli rice, lots of butter, parmesan, butter and Parmesan, but it has a certain flourish: it's garnished with GOLD LEAF! Taste it? Who wouldn't! I've heard say that it's sublime, but at 300 Euro's a portion, it's way beyond my budget. Of course it's also the ambience, but I can't afford an Armani dress, and I don't have the jewelry, so it remains in my dreams!

di reston

Gold leaf is used on food in India (by the wealthy for special occasions such as weddings!!). Can't imagine why, apart from showing off the family's wealth (and apparently it's eaten!)

Re Levi Roots saying the Jerk rice wasn't right - In the dim and distant past I had a boyfriend who complained that everything I cooked wasn't authentic - i.e. not how his mother made it..........needless to say he didn't last long at my dining table!!!

As a Spanish friend used to say "There are as many paella recipes in Spain as there are Spaniards who cook".

Last edited:
As a Spanish friend used to say "There are as many paella recipes in Spain as there are Spaniards who cook".

Here in Quebec it is the same thing with their fabulous "Tourtiere". Everyone has their own recipe and they are ALL delicious! But you will always get someone who will say - "Oh that's not authentic!" "They've (left out or put in) ... such and such an ingredient. :LOL:

Oh my! I just might have to revise one of my earlier posts! :LOL:

Even here one 'foodie' is dissing another 'foodie's' opinion. :ermm: :LOL::LOL:

What's to comment on? It's a chart of percentages to a poll.
an interesting read.

Where was it taken?
How many were polled?
The age range?

to ask a few...

What's to comment on? It's a chart of percentages to a poll.
an interesting read.

Where was it taken?
How many were polled?
The age range?

to ask a few...
I meant people were commenting on what foodie means, or saying they don't know what it means, without having read the article, which defines it.

Clearly, the term has widely varying definitions for different people. I see it as a quick and easy way to describe a lot of what we like/do regularly.

What really gets my goat is when people describe me to others (in my presence) as a "gourmet cook". I find that a lot more annoying than the term foodie.

I meant people were commenting on what foodie means, or saying they don't know what it means, without having read the article, which defines it.

OK, you're right, understood.
LOL - guess I'm one of them as I didn't read it!

What really gets my goat is when people describe me to others (in my presence) as a "gourmet cook". I find that a lot more annoying than the term foodie.

+1 on that! It is very annoying and embarrassing. Please just say I love to cook!

OK, you're right, understood.
LOL - guess I'm one of them as I didn't read it!

+1 on that! It is very annoying and embarrassing. Please just say I love to cook!
I’m curious, why don’t you two like the term “gourmet cook?” I would feel very complimented to be called a “gourmet cook!”

When somebody like me starts queyring the why's and where's of a particular dish, does that make me a 'foodie', or do you have to go beyond that, and be able to analyise what's really behind the concept?

This is an honest question - and I would welcome some kind of indication to help me understand. Take, for example, Heston Blumenthal's visit to Novara, Italy, to analyse the breakdown of a good risotto alla Milanese, and in the end he opted for a four-year old Vialone aged rice. Is that snobbery, or is it genuine curiosity about the in's and out's of a seriously good risotto? For me it indicates somebody who really knows his stuff, but for others it may different.

di reston

When somebody like me starts queyring the why's and where's of a particular dish, does that make me a 'foodie',

Yes.

It's not that complicated. Like most things, there's a range. Some of us are foodies as a hobby, and some of us are experts. Read the article - it has a pretty good definition.

"A new study of 2,000 Americans found that over half (56 percent) would even go so far as to consider themselves a “foodie.”

"... and, of course, can cook a quality meal (42 percent)."

https://nypost.com/2018/08/20/most-americans-fancy-themselves-a-foodie/

Where do you fall ??

Last edited:

I have easily spent months of accumulated time in Spain, and yes, the right way to make paella is how your mother/father/uncle/whoever made it when you grew up.

Same goes for many Italian foods.

But, same goes for BBQ in America.

IMO, a foodie like me is somebody who wants to taste them all. Especially when it comes to BBQ. Texas brisket, Carolina whole hog, KC spare ribs -- I want to eat all of it.

Foodies are people, and some people are cool, and others are ---holes. Some people even call Pork Roll "Taylor Ham." :ermm::D

CD

When somebody like me starts queyring the why's and where's of a particular dish, does that make me a 'foodie', or do you have to go beyond that, and be able to analyise what's really behind the concept?

This is an honest question - and I would welcome some kind of indication to help me understand. Take, for example, Heston Blumenthal's visit to Novara, Italy, to analyse the breakdown of a good risotto alla Milanese, and in the end he opted for a four-year old Vialone aged rice. Is that snobbery, or is it genuine curiosity about the in's and out's of a seriously good risotto? For me it indicates somebody who really knows his stuff, but for others it may different.

I have mixed feelings about Heston Blumenthal. He is obviously a very talented chef, but he can come across a a bit of a snob. I feel the same way about Bobby Flay.

I've learned to take the good with the bad. I've learned things from both Heston Blumenthal and Bobby Flay, so I just ignore the egos.

CD

I have easily spent months of accumulated time in Spain, and yes, the right way to make paella is how your mother/father/uncle/whoever made it when you grew up.

Same goes for many Italian foods.

But, same goes for BBQ in America.

IMO, a foodie like me is somebody who wants to taste them all. Especially when it comes to BBQ. Texas brisket, Carolina whole hog, KC spare ribs -- I want to eat all of it.

Foodies are people, and some people are cool, and others are ---holes. Some people even call Pork Roll "Taylor Ham." :ermm::D

CD

Thank you... That in bold is exactly why I love food.. I want a dish from your house, her house, his house, their house... Hope that makes sense..

Ross

I think it's easier to define someone who isn't a Foodie. I know one or two of them who have nearly accused me of being far too interested in food like they're so "above" it all.
Come now, we all know them...the "I eat to live, not live to eat" folks. I guess I'm a Foodie, because I'm interested in food, not the other way around.

I think it's easier to define someone who isn't a Foodie. I know one or two of them who have nearly accused me of being far too interested in food like they're so "above" it all.
Come now, we all know them...the "I eat to live, not live to eat" folks. I guess I'm a Foodie, because I'm interested in food, not the other way around.

I have a couple of friends who are fitness junkies. To them, food is fuel. Lean protein is their drug of choice. Chicken breast, not dark meat. Butter? No way. A snack after a workout, a Powerbar (I call it Powerputty).

I couldn't do that.

On the other end of the scale are my former in-laws. Quantity is king. All you can eat buffets lose money on them. Cici's Pizza... seriously? My wife and I would take them to a really good restaurant, and pay the tab, and if the menu had prices on it, they would complain about the prices, even though we were paying for it (they had no problem eating it).

Different people have different ways of looking at food. Of course, my way is the right way. :cool: :D

CD

Back
Top Bottom