Food Origins

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

fried fish

Washing Up
Do you ever wonder the history of certain foods or where they come from? I've always wondered about nutmeg. I think it's comes from a tree in the east indies.. I could be wrong. At least that is what I was told at one time.

Im with you Fish. Hey..... I have some ahhhhhhh.... rice and nori that I ummmmmmmm.... need you to take a close look at.
18.gif
Just dont come fried ok?

thanks Digital! I'm sure I could have done a search for it, but I thought it would be a good topic. I'm sure I'm not the only one that wonders about things.

Sushi... ahh.. I promise I won't come fried... just don't roll me up with anything. :shock:

I believe most spices originated in the east indies or india, I know that the vikings brought back cardamom from there and it is used in all baked goods today in scandinavia. It is also a part of madras curry powder. I absolutely love most spices except cumin and anthing realted to it.

norgeskog said:
I believe most spices originated in the east indies or india, I know that the vikings brought back cardamom from there and it is used in all baked goods today in scandinavia. It is also a part of madras curry powder. I absolutely love most spices except cumin and anthing realted to it.
I know that cardamom is popular in a lot of swedish baking.

fried fish said:
norgeskog said:
I know that cardamom is popular in a lot of swedish baking.

Norwegian, as well, in fact fried fish, in all scandinavian pastries. If you are not familiar with it, it has a grand falvor in foods.

How about Hoobergrits soup? Anyone ever heard of it? I read somewhere it's a very old-time yiddish soup. It usually has some root vegetables and potato to add substance, and I think even oatmeal to thicken. I know they used oatmeal as a thickener for soups/stews in early war-times of the 20th century. Basically think of whatever was most available to a poor peasant farmer in the Old Country and make a soup out of it.

Lots of Scots dishes use oats as thickeners or even as a staple ingredient - oatcakes are not sweet biscuits, but eaten with cheese or a hearty fried breakfast.

And Scots porridge - wonderful - but please, no sugar or honey or raisins in it please - only a little salt sprinkled on top with a very little amount of milk!

Personally, I'll go along with the old adage that "It was a brave person, who ate the first oyster"...

Lifter

Lifter said:
Personally, I'll go along with the old adage that "It was a brave person, who ate the first oyster"...

Lifter

Correct lifter, but what about the first person who found out rhubarb stalks were OK but the leaves were poisoness? Guess that is why the English has beef eaters.

what about lobsters. they look like sea cockroaches. did you know that they were snubbed by the rich a hundred years ago or so. only poor people ate them, and the rest were ground into fertilizer.

potatoes were originally thought to be poisonous, then, when introduced to europe (native to the americas), they were accredited with a massive population explosion throughout the 16th to the 19th centuries.

Tomatoes were once thought to be poisonous as well. Can you imagine?! They were also once called "love apples", altho the reason why escapes me now.

The Pilgrims used to bait their cages with lobsters to catch eels.

buckytom said:
what about lobsters. they look like sea cockroaches. did you know that they were snubbed by the rich a hundred years ago or so. only poor people ate them, and the rest were ground into fertilizer.

Buckytom, they are of the same family, you are right on, and I do eat the silly creatures.

And Scots porridge - wonderful - but please, no sugar or honey or raisins in it please - only a little salt sprinkled on top with a very little amount of milk!

Argh, I remember when my Granny made it like that for me. Argh disgusting!!!

Give to me with a truckload of brown sugar and a small pool of milk around it :).

I love food history and culture, and wish for a category for that alone. History, traditions, science, literature, religion, and personalities (bios and such) of food. I guess I'm talking about the culture surrounding food.

Concur...

But it would cost endless bandwidth as you and I could enter a ton of 16-19th century cooking notes and recipes that few would read, or amend or try out...just criticize...

Lifter

Haggis said:

Argh, I remember when my Granny made it like that for me. Argh disgusting!!!

Give to me with a truckload of brown sugar and a small pool of milk around it :).

PHILISTINE :LOL: 8) ;)

Back
Top Bottom