Foodie stuff I bought in Chicago

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

CWS4322

Chef Extraordinaire
I managed to get to The Spice House in old town (okay--it was supposed to be about a mile from the hotel, but I missed Division Street and probably walked 3 miles...got off at the wrong stop on the CTA and had to take a cab the rest of the way to make my "evening" meeting--meetings ran from 6:45 a.m. to 6:15 p.m. and then my flight home was cancelled, so I'm still in Chicago...hope to get home today).

Anyhoo--here's the stuff I got:

Juniper berries
White truffle sea salt
Grey Sea Salt--French
Vulcan blend salt
Curry leaves
3 Mexican vanilla beans
Hot and Sweet Hungarian paprika
Sumac
dried Oyster mushrooms
dried tomato powder
dried Meyer lemon peel

Next door is the Old Oil Company. There I almost lost my mind. I controlled my impulse (knowing I already am sitting on the cusp re: weight limit for flying). I bought Porcini Olive Oil and Persien Lime Olive Oil (I can hardly wait to use that with chicken, salmon, and salads). What great fun it was--now all I have to do is pick up my wild rice in MN and I'll be as happy as a pig in ... mud.

So--what are the foodie shops in San Antonio? I have to be in San Antonio the end of January...

I hope you get home today too.

Are:
Juniper berries
Curry leaves
Hot and Sweet Hungarian paprika
dried Oyster mushrooms

much less expensive in the US or just much easier to find. I know you can get the stuff on that partial list here in Greater Montreal, but that's not just around the corner from you. Are the curry leaves dry?

Isn't there any sumac growing near you? I see it along the 401 when I drive to Cornwall and I think I remember it from when I lived in the country. All of the North American sumacs with red berries are edible, but I'm not an expert, so please verify that before collecting. I wouldn't want to be the reason you picked poison sumac. :ohmy:

Morrisburg. ON doesn't stock these things. The curry leaves are dry, I'd prefer fresh, but...And, I do know the difference between sumac and poisonous sumac--my dad taught me those things.

And. I have purple aspargus roots...long story about those and getting those across the border...

Morrisburg. ON doesn't stock these things. The curry leaves are dry, I'd prefer fresh, but...And, I do know the difference between sumac and poisonous sumac--my dad taught me those things.

And. I have purple aspargus roots...long story about those and getting those across the border...

Well, we are just going to have to get together some time. I'll bring you fresh or frozen curry leaves from an Indian store that's about 5 km from my place.

We we be wanting to hear the story of the immigrating purple asparagus roots.

Sumac vs. poison sumac: edible sumac berries are red and look kind of velvet-y, poison sumac (and poison ivy) have waxy looking white berries.

Berries are very tart, and can be used to make jelly or sumac-ade. Soak them in water, and strain to remove the little hairs, which can be irritating.

Well, we are just going to have to get together some time. I'll bring you fresh or frozen curry leaves from an Indian store that's about 5 km from my place.

We we be wanting to hear the story of the immigrating purple asparagus roots.

My trip home was a nightmare--the domestic carrier didn't have an agreement with the carrier I was flying on out of Chicago re: baggage. I ended up taking the train to Syracuse. My DH had to pick me up--oops, I forgot about the purple aspargus roots...

If it ever dries up, we'll be able to start working the gardens!

I don't get the baggage problem but I am sorry it happened.

I thought of you yesterday when my mom and I dropped $100 at the Spice House in Old Town.

Back
Top Bottom