FoodSaver doubt (preserving apple)

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

sunnyeggs

Assistant Cook
Hi everyone

I'm thinking about buying a foodsaver device, but i have a question i don't seem to find any answer... I want to send quartered and peeled apple (as other types of fruit) to my daughter lunch at school, and i'd like to know if using the foodsaver bags in it will prevent apple oxidation during the four or five hours the fruit rests in the lunchbox, at room temperatura. Thank you!

Cristina

WElcome to DC, Cristina.

It should. The FS would keep air from reaching the apple. Of course, you could give it a test try...

For that short a time I would think it would help. You could always do a quick dip in lemon juice before sealing as well. They have a new handheld version that works like the Reynolds handivac on ziploc style bags that would be good for lunches. Otherwise she will need scissors to open the bag if you use the regular foodsaver.

Yes that would work. Apples brown when they come into contact with air. The Foodsaver removes almost all the air so oxidation would not happy. This would be a pretty expensive way to keep the apples from browning though. I am assuming you are going to be using the bags, which are not cheap. If you could use a small Foodsaver container then that would cost less than using the bags.

Thanks! :)

I've just heard about this preservation procedure recently, cause it's not common here in Portugal, so i didnt' yet compared prices with much detail. It's a great tip you gave me about the economical downside of the bags. Thanks again, i'll keep that in mind :)

Try sending the apple whole,to prevent browning, You do have to use your teeth to eat it though. But there is no plastic to toss out, it could start a trend . WE did this with our kids and it worked OK .

Try sending the apple whole,to prevent browning, You do have to use your teeth to eat it though. But there is no plastic to toss out, it could start a trend . WE did this with our kids and it worked OK .

Well, when I was a kid I could take a pocketknife to school to peel and core it without getting expelled. With "zero tolerance" today you've got kids getting kicked out for taking their Boy Scout camping utensils or T-shirts with a picture of a gun on it.:glare: I remember once as a boy taking a deer rifle to school for show-and-tell. The teacher took his turn checking it out. Those were different times.

Back
Top Bottom