Foolproof boiled eggs for idiots

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Table for Size Designations for Canada A EggsI
Egg Weighs Not Less Than
1. Jumbo Size 70 g
2. Extra Large Size 63 g
3. Large Size 56 g
4. Medium Size 49 g
5. Small Size 42 g
6. Peewee Size 42 g = Egg Weighs Less Than 42 g

Canada Egg Requirements the above is just a fraction, I did not read the whole article and it may well be what Aunt Bea has said could possibly apply here as well.

Jennifer - which chicken are you asking about?
If you are asking how many eggs in a day can your one chicken lay, the answer is one.
If you are asking how many eggs in a day can your half chicken lay, the answer is a half.

From the USDA

Size tells you the minimum required net weight per dozen eggs. It does not refer to the dimensions of an egg or how big it looks. While some eggs in the carton may look slightly larger or smaller than the rest, it is the total weight of the dozen eggs that puts them in one of the following classes: In descending order, egg sizes are Jumbo (30 oz. per dozen), Extra Large (27 oz. per dozen), Large (24 oz. per dozen), Medium (21 oz. per dozen), Small (18 oz. per dozen), and Peewee (15 oz. per dozen).
Very informative. Since I sorted them by weight, I no longer know which carton they came from, so I can't check the totals.

Table for Size Designations for Canada A EggsI
Egg Weighs Not Less Than
1. Jumbo Size 70 g
2. Extra Large Size 63 g
3. Large Size 56 g
4. Medium Size 49 g
5. Small Size 42 g
6. Peewee Size <42 g
(sigh) Here, again, you Canadians seem to have it figured out better than we do in the US. Making the standard by the carton allows huge variability within, as I have found. One of mine was just 66 g, so it was probably in the same carton as the 80 g one.

Here's a comparison table:

image.png

Jennifer - which chicken are you asking about?
If you are asking how many eggs in a day can your one chicken lay, the answer is one.
If you are asking how many eggs in a day can your half chicken lay, the answer is a half.
Nope and nope.

You said you buy at your local Market, do you mean like an open air farmer's market type thing? Or a regular "grocery store" type store.
Grocery stores will "probably" be buying their eggs from a government regulated supplier.
Whereas an 'open farmer's market' type place will be selling their own eggs and probably not subject to regulations.

Maybe that's why you get such a big difference in sizes. Especially local farmers who are "not in the business" of eggs per se - could well have a variety of breeds. All these breeds lay different size eggs as per their specific breed.

You said you buy at your local Market, do you mean like an open air farmer's market type thing? Or a regular "grocery store" type store.
Grocery stores will "probably" be buying their eggs from a government regulated supplier.
Whereas an 'open farmer's market' type place will be selling their own eggs and probably not subject to regulations.

Maybe that's why you get such a big difference in sizes. Especially local farmers who are "not in the business" of eggs per se - could well have a variety of breeds. All these breeds lay different size eggs as per their specific breed.
It's a "local" grocery store -- i.e., not a big chain like Safeway. The eggs are from Uncle Eddie's, one of the farms of Petaluma Egg Farms.

Petaluma Egg Farms

Well, sounds like they are "in the business" so they should be subject to government regulations. Maybe as Aunt Bea mentioned - total weight of the carton could be your answer.

Not very helpful when baking to have eggs so different, is it...

I put the eggs in the pot with cold water and then turn on the heat. I don't let the boiling get aggressive since the motion it causes can result in the cracked eggs you have experienced. 15 minutes from the time I get a soft boil works fine for me.

Back
Top Bottom