For allergy elimination diet-something with broccoli

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Dried noodles and other foods can't go bad because pathogens need water in order to reproduce.

So then it just boils down to taste? I cannot tell you how much rice I have tossed because it smells so stale. And my taste buds are very tied into my sense of smell, which I know some peoples' are not.

But your comment is for dried, and sometimes they look like they have some moisture. These were not as brittle as the really fine ones, they were a bit pliable in the package, and I wonder. But anyway, I didn't get them so will never know.

I have tried some alternative ones, and they were pretty goopy. And I didn't like them and don't remember what they were made of.

So then it just boils down to taste? I cannot tell you how much rice I have tossed because it smells so stale. And my taste buds are very tied into my sense of smell, which I know some peoples' are not.

But your comment is for dried, and sometimes they look like they have some moisture. These were not as brittle as the really fine ones, they were a bit pliable in the package, and I wonder. But anyway, I didn't get them so will never know.

I have tried some alternative ones, and they were pretty goopy. And I didn't like them and don't remember what they were made of.

Rice cannot 'smell' stale if it is packaged and stored properly. The packaging itself, however, can. If you drop water into it, yes. If the cellophane/plastic/whatever has a smell - then that is what you are smelling, not the rice.

As to being pliable in the package, the finer they are - the more pliable they will be. If you crush them with a poke or a push, yes, of course, they will crackle with their brittleness!

Everyone's is, unless there's an injury or anomaly. My husband gave me a book for Christmas called "Nose Dive: A Field Guide to the World's Smells," by Harold McGee, a food chemist. They're very much tied together. That's why aromas of childhood foods often bring back great memories.

Rice cannot 'smell' stale if it is packaged and stored properly. The packaging itself, however, can. If you drop water into it, yes. If the cellophane/plastic/whatever has a smell - then that is what you are smelling, not the rice.

As to being pliable in the package, the finer they are - the more pliable they will be. If you crush them with a poke or a push, yes, of course, they will crackle with their brittleness!

These were thick like pad thai noodles. The very very fine ones were clearly dry as old bones.

And the stale smell is from rice that has been put into airtight canisters. nothing to do with the packaging. And yes, really airtight, not just cute. For a while, we bought larger bags of rice from Sam's Club. Then it took so long to actually use them up, they'd get that state odor. After a couple of times, we simply stopped buying it in the large bags. Plus, honestly, I have read quite a bit on storage of rice and beans, and I have seen plenty of info about rice going stale. Especially brown rice and a few others I don't normally use.

My DH cannot even smell basil. There's nothing wrong with his sense of smell, he simply cannot smell basil. For me, it makes the whole reason for eating it worthwhile, but he can live without it. I don't waste my fresh basil on him!

Even a minute amount of moisture in the grain can encourage mildew/,old, and make that musty flavor. Dry grains/ legumes should be packaged with a desiccant to absorb any water. Think about this; rice grains are often used to absorb water from electronic devices that have gotten wet. Rice absorbs water readily. Water, and starch, a perfect environment for microbial growth.

Seeeeya; Chief Longwind of the North

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom