Formal training in cooking

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

pengyou

Senior Cook
Not sure where this should go - please feel free to move it. Is there some place where I can get some formal training in cooking? Ideally, have some online courses and a few on site courses. I want to do this partly for my own personal benefit (as well as my dinner guests) but also because if I have a piece of paper that says I can cook it might make it easier or possible to create more interesting jobs and classes as an English teacher in China.

I would be very wary of any on-line culinary program.

You can buy the Culinary Institute of America's textbook, called
The Professional Chef, and teach yourself some things.

I would be very wary of any on-line culinary program.

You can buy the Culinary Institute of America's textbook, called
The Professional Chef, and teach yourself some things.

I agree with jennyema. If you can't get feedback on your flavors and techniques, you won't know whether it's correct.

That said, Cook's Illustrated/America's Test Kitchen has an online cooking school with videos and you can ask questions of the chefs in an online forum. I don't think you get a graduation certificate, but you can still say you took the classes :) There's a 14-day free trial.

I agree with jennyema. If you can't get feedback on your flavors and techniques, you won't know whether it's correct.

That said, Cook's Illustrated/America's Test Kitchen has an online cooking school with videos and you can ask questions of the chefs in an online forum. I don't think you get a graduation certificate, but you can still say you took the classes :) There's a 14-day free trial.

Excellent advice from both members. Feedback is vital in any course you take. Whether it be cooking or weather forcasting. You need to know where your errors are and why. Knowing the "why" is more important than even the "how." Knowing "why" tells your the reason for the "how." Good luck. :angel:

You might check out your local community college or adult education through your public school. Often these institutions offer these kind of classes to the general public. In my town, the parks and recreation department offers classes too but often they are short term ones that show you how to make a specific dish. If it's just general cooking you want these kind of classes may suffice.

You need to get in the kitchen! Find a job in a hotel restaurant where on the job training will get you more training then a computer. Techniques and equipment are far from whats used in the home.
I have worked with some culinary grads and when I asked if I should take some courses , I was told there was no need, because on the job training was as much a learning experence as could be learned in school!

Last edited:
To get more specific advice, it might be helpful if you were to add your location to your profile. Without even knowing what country you are in - let alone a state/province/county/city - it's virtually impossible to offer any advice at all.

You mention China in your post, but the context isn't clear. Is this where you currently are, or where you would like to eventually settle?

Last edited:
Formal training in the culinary arts can vary quite a bit so you can get many different kinds of training. The best way to learn is by actually doing it. You should let us know what you can fit into your lifestyle. This way we can better assist you in finding something.

Not sure where this should go - please feel free to move it. Is there some place where I can get some formal training in cooking? Ideally, have some online courses and a few on site courses. I want to do this partly for my own personal benefit (as well as my dinner guests) but also because if I have a piece of paper that says I can cook it might make it easier or possible to create more interesting jobs and classes as an English teacher in China.

Hi, Pengyou. You lost me on the last part of your post. Since I am in the U.S.A., I can't recommend a place; however, I did some checking on the web & found some info I hope will be helpful.

Cooking Schools in China | eHow.com

china culinary schoiol - Bing

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom