Free Masons

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Ok, criniit, I will ask you.
Because I am totally ignorant in the subject.
We, and I mean the general public here, are totally ignorant.
We heard, watched stuff, we think this society is something "weird" or " no good".
Have to admit, I am VERY curious myself!
Ok, questions.

Can you tell us about the "secrets" and why they are that?
Or what the purpose of the organization is?
Or where can we find out more?
Just in case some of us is interested..

Hey everyone, and hello to you brothers in this thread. I am a Mason as well Lodge #235 in Georgia.

Just to clear up some things there are no levels above a 3rd degree master mason. The higher numbered ranks (4-33) are earned by masons who chose to join the Scottish Rite which is an appendant body of freemasonry. York Rite is another appendant body. The higher the number does not mean the higher the "power level" (or how ever you want to put it) instead the degrees of the appendant bodies of free masonry are horizontal. Meaning that a 32nd degree Scottish rite mason holds no more power than a 3rd degree Master Mason. All the higher degrees do is allow you to explore more knowledge within the appendant body you have joined.

Also the 33rd degree in Scottish Rite is a special degree bestowed upon masons who have done Great things for the community. This degree is not given out lightly (my grandfather was one) So if you do have a relative that was a 33rd degree know he was truly a great man.

As far as Masonry being a secret society, we are more like a society with secrets the main of which are our modes of recognition. I would be happy to answer any of your questions feel free to PM me.

PS: No I won't teach you the hand shake :)

Well stated facts Criniit! Thanks for joining in!

Back in 1826 or so, when the first "expose" book in the US was written about the Masons, the secrets were so closely held that the author was allegedly murdered in an attempt to keep the book from being published.
His wife did it anyway.

If you are really interested, Mason manuals and such are available on ebay. I run across them periodically, and always offer them for sale. It is my hope that someone in the society buys them so they can "go home".

Ok, criniit, I will ask you.
Because I am totally ignorant in the subject.
We, and I mean the general public here, are totally ignorant.
We heard, watched stuff, we think this society is something "weird" or " no good".
Have to admit, I am VERY curious myself!
Ok, questions.

Can you tell us about the "secrets" and why they are that?
Or what the purpose of the organization is?
Or where can we find out more?
Just in case some of us is interested..

Well the thing about ll the TV programs "uncovering the masons" "world domination" all that crap is just a way to get people to watch. People say we are some global mega power bent on world domination but they only say that because many powerful and influential men have been members of masonry. Including lot of presidents not only in the US but all over the world, senators, congressmen. But the masons also have garbage men, deli owners, regular people. The philosophy of the freemasons is that in the lodge (what we call out meeting place) all men are equal whether king or peasant. As well as religion and politics are not allowed to be talked about in the lodge. Kinda makes it hard to plot world domination when were not even allowed to talk about it doesn't it?

As far as secrets...well now that we are in the 21st century with the internet we don't have very many any more. The one that we guard most closely is our modes of recognition (handshakes, symbols, passwords to recognize each other as masons)

Freemasonry's stated purpose is to make a good man into a better man. Masonry teaches a system of conduct and attitudes for use in dealing with other people. It also encourages its members to actively seek to better themselves through hard work, dedication, and education. To convey these lessons, symbols and allegories are used. Each of our visual symbols has a meaning which is designed to remind us of some moral or social virtue which we should learn and practice. The stories we tell in course of our three degrees of membership are allegorical and designed to be impressive to the candidate while teaching important lessons. Above all else, Freemasonry is dedicated to the brotherhood of mankind.

In addition to the numerous activities that Masonic lodges conduct on a regular basis to keep their members and their families interested in the fraternity, Freemasons do all kinds of things. Freemasons perform tasks for the benefit of their community. They care for those who cannot care for themselves. And most widely known, they contribute to those less fortunate that themselves. Freemasonry is NOT a charity organization. However, charity is one of the many Masonic virtues which we teach. As a result, members of various Masonic bodies are encouraged to give to those in need. This is done to the tune of $1.5 MILLION EACH DAY, totaling over $500 million in Masonic charity contribution each year.

Oh and if you are looking for reading material I would try Freemasons for Dummies, not joke that book is actually pretty good, it' written by a mason and will teach you the basics of freemasonry for an outsider.

PS: Oh and sorry to any other brothers who I just took the air of mystery from them :)

:)From what I was told Masons are all over the world and if you are a mason and happen to get in a bit of a pickle anywhere in another country and a mason there recognizes you as a fellow mason they will help you if you need it.
So what are the rules regarding the ring, my dad wanted me to have his ring as he knew my stupid brother would wear it although he is not a mason.Some say I can wear on a chain on my neck some dont know for sure.Is it true I would get help should I ever need it from the masons having the possesion of my dads ring.

Where the ring on a chain if you want. Though don't try and pass your self off as a mason we will be able to tell if you are lying almost instantly. But just like any frat in the world if I see another member that i recognize to be a mason of course I would help him out..we are brothers.

As for wearing the ring..I don' see anything wrong with wearing on a chain, if someone asks just say your carrying on your fathers spirit. They won't mind.

PS: Yes there are masons all over the world, our society did not originate in America.

Well stated again Criniit.

I often use the phrase...The reaL secret of Free Masonry is...It makes good men... better men!

Also this takes some thought but..."Masonry is a moral science based on an operative art.

Example...Ancient Stone Masons used a common gavel (hammer) to break off the, rough parts of stone, the better to fit the builder's use.(Operative Art) Today when a Mason see a hammer he often thinks and sees the need to divest from his heart and mind all the vices of life...therby making his body a "living stone" for that house not made with hands..eternal in the heavens! (Moral Science)

Well said Uncle Bob,

Also if anyone is that interested in the meaning of masonry symbols, then go buy the book morals and dogma by albert pike. This is the scottish rite book, and the symbolic meanings are those of Albert Pike but it will give you an insight. Oh and good luck getting through it, its very wordy and several thousand pages long. Took me forever...

Where the ring on a chain if you want. Though don't try and pass your self off as a mason we will be able to tell if you are lying almost instantly. But just like any frat in the world if I see another member that i recognize to be a mason of course I would help him out..we are brothers.

As for wearing the ring..I don' see anything wrong with wearing on a chain, if someone asks just say your carrying on your fathers spirit. They won't mind.

PS: Yes there are masons all over the world, our society did not originate in America.
:)It would be kinda hard to pass myself off as a Mason as Im a girl :LOL:.I understand the Masons started with the Knights Templar in England during the crusades.

:)From what I was told Masons are all over the world and if you are a mason and happen to get in a bit of a pickle anywhere in another country and a mason there recognizes you as a fellow mason they will help you if you need it.
So what are the rules regarding the ring, my dad wanted me to have his ring as he knew my stupid brother would wear it although he is not a mason.Some say I can wear on a chain on my neck some dont know for sure.Is it true I would get help should I ever need it from the masons having the possesion of my dads ring.

Yes! Miss McGrew By all means wear the ring around your neck if it makes you feel close to your father. He would be pleased to know the ring (and him) are close to your heart. Yes Masons are taught to be benevolent to each other when found worthy, but not to the exclusion of all Mankind.

:)It would be kinda hard to pass myself off as a Mason as Im a girl :LOL:.I understand the Masons started with the Knights Templar in England during the crusades.

Haha gotcha didn't know you were a girl sorry :)

And as far as the origins of freemasonry, that is up for debate nobody is certain. Though there are several theories. Here are a couple:

1) Masonry was started in the middle ages i europe when the stone masons (actually stone builders) formed guilds to keep their craft a secret and to control prices and eventually it became more and more a social thing evolving into what Masonry is today.

2) When the Templars were disbanded (i forgot the exact year) it is said that they had found a great treasure under Solomon's Temple in Jerusalem, this theory is backed up because the Templars made this their head quarter and then went on to found the first banking system in the world. (where did they get all the gold to start it? After all there full name was The Poor Fellow-Soldiers of Christ and of the Temple of Solomon, which they were sworn to a vow of poverty) Anyway they rose in power and eventually threatened the Pope and the french king, so they were excommunicated and on Friday the 13th 1307 thousands were hung/killed/burned alive (which is where the friday the 13th superstition comes from) and the remaining fled to know one noes. But legend says that a fleet of ships set ail that day carrying the templar flag and their secret treasure to scotland where the founded the Masons. This theory is backed up by the Roselyn Church which has symbols from the templars, masons, christianity and muslim all inside it. This is just all theory and none is proven.

3) Founded by the illuminati as their public wing in order to recruit into their ranks. This is theory from all the dooms day people out there. There are hundreds more but those are the more popular theories.

Also we are told that at the building of King Solomon's temple there were 70,000 Entered Apprentices or bearers of burden (The 1st degree in Masonry) 80,000 Fellow Crafts (The 2nd Degree in Masonry) 3,300 Masters or overseers of work (The 3rd degree in Masonry) and 3 Grand Masters (Who laid out the work for the day)

:)Thank UB and criniit.I never wore it on a chain as I did not know for sure if I could.We were very close although I did not see him much as my parents divorced when I was five.I did get to spend 3 weeks of quality time with him(mostly at the American Legion :LOL:) a year before he passed.He wanted me to have his ring rather than stupid brother because he knew he would wear it he is walking around wearing a gold band with a camel and some other symbols that dad gave him years before which I dont think he is supposed to.He got busted once as a mason saw the ring and asked if he had traveled far and the idiot could not come back with what ever he was supposed to reply.
Dad gave him the ring I thought I really wanted. I remember him wearing it when I was a little girl he wore it it his whole life I dont think it had anything to do with Masons but it is made of gold with a kinda square top that has a Rampant Lion and a diamond in the corner I really wanted that ring but dad said no that his masons ring was better and he knew Id not dare to abuse it.
So in the end I know he made a wise decision.I think.
I really love the carrying his spirit as we were very alike in many ways.
Now where to find a good and sturdy chain.If I lost it I would be devastated.
Oh, my stupid brother tried really hard to get that ring from me he felt he should have it but no way no how was I giving it up.He did make off with alot off other Masonic things.JERK!

Last edited:
JP, it sounds like you are really missing your dad right now. Maybe it's something inside you telling you to explore this further. I don't know where your dad lived but if you know the lodge he belonged to, perhaps you could get in touch with someone there and explain all this to them. They might be willing to have any members who knew your dad share some of their memories of him with you. It could be done via e-mail. Also, they might be a very good place to start exploring the idea of joining the women's masonic organization. Also, a visit to a local masonic lodge might help you, too. Good luck and please keep us up. Masons are obviously fascinating to all of us!

I would advise wearing it under your blouse/shirt/etc. to prevent some Ya-Hoo from snatching it off your neck and making a fast get-a-way to convert it into cash...drugs etc.

My mother's father and brothers were all 33rd degree Masons, and Shriners. (When I was a wee one, the best thing was that we got free tickets to the Shrine Circus, which was always my favorite!) My Aunt June was very high in Eastern Star. I was a Rainbow Girl, but went no farther.

It's an ancient organization, and as noted, they do lots of good works, but it does take quite a commitment of time and money to be involved.

I'm active in my collegiate sorority's alumnae organization, and that's enough for me, along with the other philanthropies I've chosen. :)

I would advise wearing it under your blouse/shirt/etc. to prevent some Ya-Hoo from snatching it off your neck and making a fast get-a-way to convert it into cash...drugs etc.
:)Thanks Uncle Bob thats good advice.I will wear it under my shirt.Dont think I will have much of a problem I can be quite intimidating when I want to be, so I have been told. And I live in the middle of nowhere.

Back
Top Bottom