Freezing asparagus

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

taxlady

Chef Extraordinaire
Moderator Emeritus
It's asparagus season and there is lots of local asparagus at the moment. I would like to freeze some for when the local stuff isn't available. But, DH only likes asparagus that has been peeled. I like it better peeled too, but I am happy to eat it even if it hasn't been peeled. I cook it by roasting it on a lightly oiled frying pan.

I was thinking of frying it in 5-7 cm (2"-3") lengths. Then I would freeze those individually and put them in a zipper bag. Has anyone done this? Does anyone have any suggestions? I figure they need to be peeled before I freeze them, because, I think they would be a PITA to peel once they are defrosted and the texture has change a bit.

I personally have NEVER had success with freezing asparagus. Have a good friend who does, I've had some of it. Great stuff - but - I just can't get it right.

However, I do agree with you, peel it before freezing, whether or not it is precooked/parboiled/fried or what-ever!

Good Luck

@taxlady we are serious lovers of asparagus. If I could find a way to freeze or can asparagus so that we like it I would. I've given up trying. Now I dehydrate it, for storage, then blend it with water in the blender to make a rich green asparagus soup in winter. Or, as we harvest it we just give it a boil, 20 minutes from cold, we eat it plain or with a touch of salt.
We don't peel but more power to you to make the effort.
The only thing I can think of is to freeze it cooked in the shape and size you would eat it, so it doesn't get mashed trying to move it before you eat it.

@blissful yeah, pretty much already the way I want to use it, before freezing it.

Dehydrating was an option I hadn't considered. Can they be rehydrated and used in pieces, or is blending after rehydrating pretty much the only way to use them? I wonder if dehydrating in short lengths to use in stir fries later would work. I really prefer asparagus that isn't cooked very much.

I guess I should have mentioned how my friend did it.

Parboiled - depending on the size/thickness. But only just barely. Then froze on a tray and put into bags.
I think asparagus is one of those that must be frozen when fresh and young.

But if you about it, ever see any in the frozen vegie department?
Might be 'cause it doesn't work well enough for commercial use and might be a hint to just forget it.

Enjoy while it's fresh and then look forward to next years crop.

I haven't tried rehydrating asparagus sticks whole yet. Next time I'm going to make asparagus soup, I'll try rehydrating whole and see how it goes and report back here.

I guess I should have mentioned how my friend did it.

Parboiled - depending on the size/thickness. But only just barely. Then froze on a tray and put into bags.
I think asparagus is one of those that must be frozen when fresh and young.

But if you about it, ever see any in the frozen vegie department?
Might be 'cause it doesn't work well enough for commercial use and might be a hint to just forget it.

Enjoy while it's fresh and then look forward to next years crop.
You may well be right about the reasoning about the lack of commercially available frozen asparagus. But, I have become a bit more skeptical. We seldom see frozen root vegis other than carrots, but all sorts of root vegis can be commercially frozen. In Denmark they sell frozen bags of mixed root vegis and even have a choice of smaller pieces or "rustic" sized pieces. Of course, Danes cook with root vegis a lot. I don't know much about the frozen root vegis, but I have seen it in Danish supermarket flyers online. As an aside, the Danish word for root vegis is "rodfrugter" which literally means root fruits.

Also, I don't think the result of canning asparagus is edible, but you can buy canned asparagus. :sick:

Canned WHITE asparagus was considered an extremely fancy delicacy served only at the most snobby entertainment suppers.

Never had canned green asparagus but I believe you!

I remember a few occasions mom used the white asparagus, I think I nibbled on an end piece but got chased away before exploring more, LOL

If my memory serves, we are probably talking more about 60 years ago, the texture was sort of like canned straw mushrooms. Soft but firm (?) smooth... maybe even like hearts of palm maybe softer.

Tarnation, going to have to look up some "snobby" recipes and maybe buy a can! ... just to see ...

I might try to freeze asparagus purée for use in soups or sauces but IMO the best approach is to enjoy it while it’s in season locally.

Canned WHITE asparagus was considered an extremely fancy delicacy served only at the most snobby entertainment suppers.
ASPARAGUS.jpg

Whole White peeled Asparagus. Suddenly I have a craving...

My husband had only canned asparagus, which he referred to as "mossy logs." (His mother was a terrible cook.)
The first time he had fresh asparagus, lightly steamed and dressed with butter, his opinion changed 180 degrees. Now he looks forward to asparagus season.
I've never tried freezing asparagus because we never have enough to freeze--it all gets eaten fresh!

Back
Top Bottom