Freezing for my man.

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

mk3_gurl

Assistant Cook
Ah ha, funny title eh?

My boyfriend lives with his roomate and they rarely cook. They eat out or eat easy stuff like soup. I want to make some dishes then put them in individual containers then freeze. That way whenever they want something they can simply re-heat it and eat. So far I've thought of lasagna
biggrin.gif

Any help would be great
biggrin.gif
I think cassaroles are a good idea, I want somthing that they can simply pop in the oven and eat. Please keep the recipies simple as I'm not that great of a cook :(

Thanks,

Maggie

There are a couple of useful threads in the frozen food section if you do a search.

In the eantime, lasagne is always a success, I make them in foil containers the size of a precooked lasange sheet, so a big one portion, and make several at a time because they freeze extraordinarily well. Casserole would be a good idea, I have not done that as DH makes a mean stew which he prefers to do himself. I know I am going to speel this wrong but mousaka is also a huge hit as a frozen thing.

Try thee search tool, you will find loads!

Here's how you can get tons of ideas:
Go to the search option at the top of this page, click on it so you'll get "advanced search" and then when it asks what you want, type in "freezer" and click on "titles only". You'll get pages of ideas!

Welcome to DC, Maggie. Like jkath suggested - you might want to do a quick search on what has already been posted on this subject. This topic definitely does not fall into the category of, "the road less traveled."

Need ideas? Take a pencil and a pad of paper and go to your local grocery store ... and take notes of the meals as you strole down the section with the prepared frozen dinners. You'll probably find more ideas for things to cook than things you can cook.

Why don't you try a chili, my boyfriend and I make that and it last all week in the fridge and its great! I would also recommend a pot roast! Very simple and you'll just an oven or a crock pot - I use a crock pot and let it sit while I'm at work.

POT ROAST:
1 (4-pound) boneless Chuck pot roast, neatly tied
Salt and ground pepper
2 tablespoons vegetable oil
1 cup finely chopped onions
1 cup finely chopped carrots
1 cup finely chopped celery
2 bay leaves
2 teaspoons thyme
4 cups beef stock
4 tablespoons all-purpose flour
4 tablespoon butter, softened

Pat roast dry and season with salt and pepper. In a Dutch oven, heat the vegetable oil over moderately high heat until hot but not smoking. Add the roast and brown on all sides, about 15 minutes total. Transfer the roast to a plate and pour out all but 1 tablespoon of fat from the pan. Add the onions, carrots, and celery to the pan and cook over moderate heat, stirring until golden. Place the roast back in the pan along with the bay leaves, thyme, and enough of the beef stock to come up 2/3 of the way up the beef. Bring the pot roast to a simmer on top of the stove, skim, cover tightly, and set in the lower third of a 350 degree preheated oven. Regulate heat so that the liquid remains at a gentle simmer for 2 1/2 to 3 hours, until the beef is tender. Turn the roast over several times during its braising.
Transfer roast to a cutting board and let stand 10 minutes, covered with aluminum foil to keep warm. Skim off any fat from the surface of the liquid. Strain the liquid. To thicken the sauce slightly, bring the liquid to a boil. For each cup of liquid, stir together 1 tablespoon butter and 1 tablespoon flour. Whisk the butter mixture into the liquid. Simmer, stirring constantly, until thickened. Slice the pot roast and serve with the sauce and boiled new potatoes.

BELOW IS A 5 BEAN CHILI:
1 1/2 pounds lean ground beef
2 cups chopped onion
1 (15-ounce) can light red kidney beans, drained
1 (15-ounce) can dark red kidney beans, drained
1 (15-ounce) can cannellini beans, drained
1 (15-ounce) can butter beans, drained
1 (15-ounce) can pinto beans, drained
2 (14 1/2-ounce) cans diced tomatoes with jalapenos
2 (1 1/4 ounce) packets chili seasoning mix
1 (8-ounce) can tomato sauce
1 cup water
Salt and pepper
Suggested servings: cornbread, sour cream, cheese, chips, and fresh cilantro

In a skillet over medium-high heat, brown ground beef with the onions. Be sure to break up clumps as much as possible. Put the mixture in a slow cooker.

Add remaining ingredients and stir together. Cover and cook on high setting for 4 hours or on low for 7 to 8 hours. Ladle into bowls and serve with your favorite chili fixings.

Hope that helps!

Back
Top Bottom