Freezing my hamburgers

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

jcv

Assistant Cook
We buy like 10+ pounds of hamburger at a time, seperate into 1.5 pound sections and freeze. We use it for lots of stuff but I do make burger patties regularly. Mine are pretty simple: mix wishbone italian dressing into the meat, make the 1/4 lb patty in my press and season both sides with Dizzy Pig Raising the steaks or Cowlick Steak Rub.

Can I seperate these patties with wax paper and freeze them? It would be nice to make all the patties at once and just toss the frozen patties on the grill if I need a meal in a pinch.

Thanks

...Can I seperate these patties with wax paper and freeze them? It would be nice to make all the patties at once and just toss the frozen patties on the grill if I need a meal in a pinch. Thanks

Absolutely!! :chef:

I wrap half pound portions of ground beef in plastic wrap and freeze them on a half sheet pan then into a plastic freezer bag. I find that works better than wax paper between the pattys.

+1 on the parchment paper. Another thing that works well is to freeze them first, then separate with patty papers & vacuum pack 'em (eg Foodsaver).

Yup, freeze flat, wrap individually in plastic wrap, put in a ziplock bag, label and date the bag.

My Mom used to freeze burgers between waxed paper layers, so I do too. Heck, if it worked for Mom....

parchment paper is easier to separate when frozen than wax paper.
Never, ever thought of that, Robo, but it's a great idea!:idea: I'll try it next time and save myself hearing DH grumble while trying to pull stuck waxed paper out of the meat before grilling! I'm sure he'll thank you.

Thanks everyone for the replies!

I ended up making and seasoning the patties then wrapping 2 at a time in saran wrap then put them into freezer ziplocs. I took out 4 patties several days later and they unwrapped perfectly - no sticking! Tossed them on the grill and they were great.

Back
Top Bottom