Freezing vs. dehydrating?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

pengyou

Senior Cook
This is strawberry season in Shanghai and the strawberries are large, cheap and abundant. I know that sberries can be frozen, if lightly processed and can also be dehydrated. A quick search on google tells me that freezing sberries preserves more of their nutritional value than dehydrating, especially if they are frozen whole. I like to put fruit and berries in my oatmeal in the morning. I also like to make strawberry cake and would love to learn other recipes to use them. I especially want to learn how to use strawberries - or jam - to use between layers of a cake. But I can see the advantage of having dried sberries to take along as a snack. It is likely that I will buy a dehydrator and do a little of both.

Still, I would like to open this to others who have done both. What are your experiences/thoughts? What would you recommend for processes with either/ both of these alternatives?

Dried strawberries are a favorite snack in my family. We dry them not to preserve them, but because we enjoy eating them that way. It is like eating potato chips, but much healthier and tastier. When they are in season we always have fresh and dried sberries in the house.

I have even taken dried sberries and turned them into a powder to add to things like hot chocolate.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom