French bread, oh yeah!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Marlingardener

Sous Chef
I baked a batch of French bread yesterday. I've been making French bread for so long, I think I could do it in my sleep. It freezes well, so I always have a stash in case a friend stops by. I make mini loaves for a neighbor who gets Meals on Wheels, which provides nutritious if somewhat limited cuisine.
French bread.jpg

They certainly look yummy!
Care to share your particular recipe?
and your method of freezing/defrosting/reheating?

always interested to see other people's, probably different, methods.

Happy to offer the recipe!
French Bread
8 c. unbleached flour
2 tblsps. dry yeast (or two of those little packets)
2 tblsps. sugar
2 1/2 tsps. salt
2 tblsps. lard
3 c. warm water

In a large bowl combine dry ingredients. With your fingers rub in the lard until you can't find any pieces larger than a pea. Make a well and pour in the warm water. Mix well, then turn out on a well-floured board and knead until the dough is soft, but elastic, usually about 5 to 8 minutes, depending on how athletic your kneading is!
Leave dough on floured board and cover with a damp dish cloth. Let rise for 40 to 60 minutes (high humidity causes a more rapid rise). Punch down, make a log of the dough, and cut off appropriate amounts, which depends on the size loaves you want. Shape the loaves and place in French bread pans, or on flat baking sheets. Make shallow cuts in the loaves' tops. Cover with the damp cloth, and let rise for roughly a half hour (again, this depends on the warmth of the kitchen and the humidity.)
Bake at 375 degrees for 40 minutes for large loaves, 30 minutes for smaller ones. The loaves are done when golden brown and sound hollow when tapped.
For freezing, put in plastic freezer bags after loaves are thoroughly cool and place in freezer. To thaw, about two hours before needed, remove from bag, wrap tightly in foil. When thawed, slice, replace in foil, and put into a 150 degree oven for about 15 minutes.

Your recipe sounds great. The Lard use is interesting.
Is their a reason for it instead of vegetable oil?

Yes, since this is a really old recipe lard was the fat of choice. I'm not sure that vegetable oil had been invented yet!
Old TNT Pics don't lie :)
Wonderful recipe thank you for explaining that
I'm going to write it down and staple it to the cabinets.
One recipe can have more uses than just bread. I like that.
The test I use for doneness is tapping the loaf with a wooden spoon.

I baked a batch of French bread yesterday. I've been making French bread for so long, I think I could do it in my sleep. It freezes well, so I always have a stash in case a friend stops by. I make mini loaves for a neighbor who gets Meals on Wheels, which provides nutritious if somewhat limited cuisine.View attachment 64615
Look nice !
With rye-wheat-allpurpose-spelt combinations I am steady now.
They are favorites, but once in a while French Bread is nice too.
Not steady yet.
Varying between lower temp+longer baking or high temp +shorter baking.
It works out OK but not what it should be.
± 500 F is maximum for our oven.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom