Fresh Asparagus

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Digger

Assistant Cook
:rolleyes:Well today here in Michigan I picked my first batch of asparagus fresh from the field. It looks incredible. So I thought how to cook it. So I got one of my big cast iron skillets out added some fresh butter my wife makes and garlic crushed and melted butter and added garlic let it cook for a minute and put the asparagus in and continued to fry for about 5 minutes. WOW:LOL: was it GREAT! Just one of the early spring things I love:-p Thought you folks would enjoy this. Michigan Asparagus is one of the best things up here to eat full of flavor. Thanks Digger

:chef:Thanks it was great. If anyone has a recipe for Asparagus please post it I'm always looking to try new ones. Thanks Digger

I do very little to aspargus. Cookk it it an aspargus pan and serve it with a little salt & pepper - yum. You can roast it with olive oil, salt & pepper as well.

I'm waiting for British asparagus, its only available for about 4 weeks here. Soooo tasty and I love it grilled!

I love creamed asparagus over toast.
Cut it into bite sized pieces, cook it like you did with butter, add some flour and some milk when it's done and make your creamed gravy. Pour over toasted bread.

Digger, do what you did, and mix it with some sort of pasta!

Homemade butter???? Where do you live - I'm coming over! :)

Lee

The creamed asparagus sounds great! I like to rub the spears with olive oil, sea salt and cracked pepper, then grill them. A spash of sherry vinegar is nice.

Reduce some balsamic to a syrup.

Break off woody ends, toss in good olive oil, sprinkle with kosher salt and either grill or roast in oven. Drizzle with balsamic. If I roast in oven I add the balsamic before I roast.

One of my favorite recipies is to blanch the asparagus in boiling water for a minute or two. Drain, drizzle with a tiny bit of evoo and salt and pepper. Depending on the size of the asparagus, bundle up 5 or 6 thin asparagus or 3 or 4 thick asparagus and warp with bacon. Place on grill for several minutes turning frequently. I love the flavor the bacon imparts on the asparagus!

Toss in evoo and throw on the grill. I do not cook it long. I like my asparagus to have some snap to it. I even love it raw. Sprinkle on some salt after you pull it off the grill.

Toss in evoo and throw on the grill. I do not cook it long. I like my asparagus to have some snap to it. I even love it raw. Sprinkle on some salt after you pull it off the grill.

I use toothpicks to make asparagus rafts and grill them. Each raft is a serving.

Other than that, sauteed with whole garlic, evoo, red pepper flakes, S&P. Or saute them and pour a little cream of (fill in the blank) soup for a nice side dish.

I use toothpicks to make asparagus rafts and grill them. Each raft is a serving.
Yep that is a great way to do it. The asparagus does not fall between the grates that way and is easy to turn. I usually use skewers, but i like your toothpick idea better.

I like to put asparagus on my pizza with goat cheese and sundried tomatoes. It's so yummy!

Ahhh, fresh asparagus! Let me count the ways. Steam, blanch, roast, pan fry, stir fry, grill -- it's all good!

Roast em with evoo, s&p, thinly sliced lemon or lime, & garlic - or toss the cooked asparagus with butter & sprinkle with lemon or lime zest. Sprinkle with fresh grated parmesan, if desired.

As an appy, wrap the cooked asparagus with prosciutto or salmon & wrap with a scallion (green onion). Here's a link.

http://www.discusscooking.com/forums/f7/t-t-asparagus-bundles-w-variations-44504.html

Another fave - cold asparagus salad. Lay the cooked asparagus spears on a platter of butter lettuce & surround with sliced tomatoes. Drizzle with evoo, s&p to taste.

Stir fried w soy sauce, & sprinkled w toasted sesame seeds.

A salad of asparagus with toasted pine nuts, mozzarella or feta or goat cheese, and grape or cherry tomatoes & balsamic.

Another fave main dish - shrimp, asparagus & pasta - w evoo/garlic butter sauce.

Make a compound butter - herbs - tarragon, basil, etc, or a citrus i.e. lemon or lime zest. Toss cooked asparagus with your compound butter.

Wrap asparagus spears in puff pastry - easy appy.

This is what I do to asparagus. Wash, of course. Lay on a piece of foil and sprinkle with S & P and garlic S. A couple pats of butter on top then BBQ for 5 min. I really prefer to drizzle with OO, but DH is not crazy about it that way. It is deeeelicious BBQ'd.

DH picked a nice mess of asparagus last week. He sautees it in a little olive oil with minced garlic and salt and pepper, then adds a pat of butter and a little chicken broth. Then the lid goes on, the heat goes down, and it steams till tender.

You can also skip the chicken broth and add a good squeeze of lemon juice, then continue as above.

That creamed asparagus sure sounds good. I need to have DH buy some whole milk, as we drink skim. It can be made with skim milk, but it takes longer to thicken, and I always end up adding cream cheese to make it richer.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom