Fri (again?)Dinner. 12/8/17

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
A chunk of pork loin I am going to.brine for a short while and roast, plus green beans, and mashed potatoes made a new way with horsradish, amongst other things, recipe from Nancy of Farmhouse Rules I believe from The FN.

Family wants pizza and salad for dinner again tonight.

First snow of the season is predicted for tomorrow afternoon, so I better get in a grill dinner tonight. Marinated steak tips (soy sauce, balsamic vinegar, EVOO, spices, garlic), baked sweet potatoes, garden salad.

I'm making some hamburger/sauerkraut/carrot/onion/sour cream/ketchup/cheese egg rolls for a change of pace. I have a hankering for them. Crunchy, creamy, vegetables and meat. I'll be making them for a couple hours but yum.

Time flies..how can it be Friday again?

The Souschef is off to the grocery to pick up the ingredients for a new recipe I'm looking forward to making today. I love the sound of the unusual chicken stew and I recently saw it made on the Today Show. Report to follow.

:chef:Check it out...
https://www.today.com/recipes/padma-lakshmi-s-chicken-pepper-stew-t119335

K, that's a very interesting sounding and looking dish.
What country is it's origin, do you know?

I'm going to grill some b/s Chicken thighs with some sort of
spice mixture, not sure what yet... sides will be oven roasted
Baby Yellow Dutch Potatoes as well as Broccolini.

DH wanted to take us out to dinner AGAIN, but I veto'd
that in that we will have to leave early evening tomorrow
to pick up my Mom from the airport; a 2 hour drive one way.
So we'll be eating out at the airport.
I told my Mother to make sure that she has a REALLY
big lunch before she heads out, because by the time
we get her home plus the time difference,
we'll just have a light supper of
Soup and Crackers and then night night!

K, that's a very interesting sounding and looking dish.
What country is it's origin, do you know?

I'm going to grill some b/s Chicken thighs with some sort of
spice mixture, not sure what yet... sides will be oven roasted
Baby Yellow Dutch Potatoes as well as Broccolini.

DH wanted to take us out to dinner AGAIN, but I veto'd
that in that we will have to leave early evening tomorrow
to pick up my Mom from the airport; a 2 hour drive one way.
So we'll be eating out at the airport.
I told my Mother to make sure that she has a REALLY
big lunch before she heads out, because by the time
we get her home plus the time difference,
we'll just have a light supper of
Soup and Crackers and then night night!
ROTFL That reminded me of Jack Lemon's character in the Out of Towners. When he insisted they didn't eat on the plane.

out_of_towners.jpg

Mostly sorta leftovers. Oven heated chicken with cranberry Bbq sauce glaze in foil, fried mashed potato patties and green beans. The beans get lemon butter, the chix gets sauced, and hopefully not too dried out, and thanks to MedT for the inspiration the taters can have horseradish sour cream to top.

Ended up with country cooked green beans, AKA COOKED to death, but we were reminded recently how much we liked them and they seemed to go with this meal. Potatoes turned out pretty good. Definitely worth making again.

Attachments

• 20171208_185628-1-1.jpg
    20171208_185628-1-1.jpg
    47.3 KB · Views: 108
Ex-Mrs K and I went out to a pub-style place tonight for dinner and to plan family Christmas. The place we decided on had Cajun beef tips on the menu, so I ordered that. The waitress looked at me sheepishly and said, in true Minnesota fashion, "The guys in the kitchen like to make it a little spicy."

"Bring it on," I told her. "In fact, tell them they can make it as spicy as they like. I can take it."

I guess they took that as a challenge. It was pretty darned spicy. I don't know what they put in it, but I could just imagine them back in the kitchen adding cayenne pepper by the tablespoon and chuckling at how they were going to make me pay. :LOL:

I ate it all, though. And it was pretty good.

Last edited:
Fast food and airport food for me, today. I'll be home for the night, but fly out again tomorrow, so won't get to do any cooking while I'm at home.

CD

By the time I had run all of my errands, supper was the farthest thing from my mind. My tummy, however, was making it clear that it was hungry! So...cooked up some lean ground beef, tossed in a can of roasted tomatoes with chilis, Bush's Texas style chili beans, and called it chili. Topped it with some grated cheese. Served it with Grands biscuits and a bottle of TJ's beer that was leftover from our trip to FL. Done and done. :yum:

My plan of making the turkey yesterday fell by the wayside because we're supposed to get 5 inches of snow today. I ended up spending the day making sure the gutters were clear to prevent ice damming, putting away the deck and firepit furniture, and then of course, splitting more wood.

We still have a ways to go.

1208171557.jpg

Later, I picked up fresh gadoline for the snowblower, and some lamb shoulder chops and spuds for dinner.

BT, those are very nice surroundings you have.

You do know? they rent log splitters at the U-Rent-Em store, by the hour(s) if its a bigger job than can be accomplished at one time.

Last edited:
Thanks, Whisk. That's my neighbor's house in the background.

When we first went back there a few weeks ago to set up, I found some torn up bags of trash, and huge piles of bear scat around. Apparently, it's a corridor between houses the bears use.

I figure I'll eventually have to rent a powered splitter with all of that wood before it rots. But for right now, I want my son to learn how to use hand tools first. A maul, an axe, a sledge hammer, wedges, and so on.
I'm looking into buying a 2-man crosscut saw before I show him how to use a chainsaw. I'd love to get an Alaskan rig, too.

My boy's been splitting some almost every day, planning on bundling it and selling the bundles to make a few bucks. He's been itching to get a job, so this will he his first one. You have to be at least 14 to get working papers here.

Nothin like some good, hard work for a kid whose got an otherwise cushy life.

Builds good muscles for sports tooo. Your son should make a "bundle" selling wood. The cost around here is pretty $$ for just an arm ful.

This reminds me when I was about 6yo my parents had wood delivery for the furnace. It was my job, bundled up in my snow suit, to throw logs down the old coal chute to the basement. When it got backed up my mom would clear it away, and I had to start again. Probably fun for the first few logs AND what perturbed me was that I had to do this Saturday mornings, making me miss Hop Along Cassidy, Roy Rogers and Gabby Hayes on the old b&w tv.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom