Friday dinner - 10/20/2017

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

tenspeed

Executive Chef
Summer is hanging on here in late October (temps in the low 70's), so burgers on the grill, potato salad, green salad. We'll have to do indoor dinners soon enough.

It has been nice, tenspeed. But I'm still cooking inside today. Himself, AKA my Grill Guy, is out with his other love tonight. He and his telescope are doing the star-gazey thing. Clear skies, new moon, dark skies - perfection for an astronomy nut.

I'm about to prep and pop an Italian sheet pan/traybake supper into the oven: sausage, yellow/orange/green bell peppers, sweet onion (maybe a red one?), and redskin potatoes. I have a baby loaf of Italian bread for Himself. I'll save my calories for fruit and the last of the ice cream later tonight.

I have to brag a bit here. Tonight I made the best sausage gravy I have ever had in my life. That is saying something, I am VERY picky about sausage gravy and I have tried it in dozens of places locally and across the country in my few travels.

I am so picky about it that I have only tried to make it a few times because there are a couple local places that make it that I really enjoy. I made it tonight to go over biscuits and hash browns.

The sausage I bought though had very little grease, not near enough to make up a large batch that I intended. I added a couple tablespoons of butter but that wasn't enough either and I wanted more flavor. So I diced up a couple slices of thick cut bacon and crisped it up and left the rendered bacon fat in the pan too. Then I added about 2/3 cup of flour and browned it and then 2 12oz cans of evaporated milk and 2 cups of whole milk. Whisked it till nice and thick, added the sausage back in and seasoned with my go to salt Lowry's seasoned salt.

I am picky about biscuits too, I have not found a recipe that I like so I was going to use canned biscuits but they looked old. I ended up using some canned crescent rolls.

I have to say it was quite the treat! I hate to think of the calories in that gravy, but its not like we eat that very often. The bacon added wonderful flavor and I loved the texture of the crunchy bacon in the gravy as contrast to the sausage.

Jeannie had her monthly gossip/shop luncheon with the girls today so.. I had a chance to go full gourmet for just me..

I opened an 8.3oz can of Bushes "Original" Baked Beans, carefully sliced a Ballpark Frank ( "So American, you can taste it.") and warmed it all over low heat, in my favorite 1 1/2 qt, heavy bottomed pan..

I paired the warm dish with Keebler "Original" Club Crackers, each with a smear of Kerrygold Irish Butter and added a bottle of Anchor Steam Beer.. :yum:

A great meal..

Too full for dessert so, a small bowl of melon for later..

Ross

Jeannie had her monthly gossip/shop luncheon with the girls today so.. I had a chance to go full gourmet for just me..

I opened an 8.3oz can of Bushes "Original" Baked Beans, carefully sliced a Ballpark Frank ( "So American, you can taste it.") and warmed it all over low heat, in my favorite 1 1/2 qt, heavy bottomed pan..

I paired the warm dish with Keebler "Original" Club Crackers, each with a smear of Kerrygold Irish Butter and added a bottle of Anchor Steam Beer.. :yum:

A great meal..

Ross

Bushes make the best beans and weiners! Try adding bit of siracha next time, takes it up a big notch. :chef:

Cajun shrimp & crawfish over spiced rice.

39817-albums371-picture7149.jpg
[/IMG]

Tick, tick, tick, tick... BOOM! Chicken Bombs were on the menu tonight at the doghouse.

Chicken thighs, boned and pounded flat, each with a jalapeño half stuffed with cream cheese, and topped with cheddar wrapped inside. Rolled up, wrapped in thick bacon, and tied. I cooked them on the grill till done inside.

CD

Attachments

• ChickBomb01.jpg
    ChickBomb01.jpg
    137.4 KB · Views: 143
Looks delish, Joey and Casey!

CG...isn't tonight the peak viewing of the meteor shower? You might not see Himself until morning.:ohmy: :LOL:

Ross....sounds good. Bush's are the only canned baked beans I buy, love them.

Bossman, glad you enjoyed your biscuits and gravy. It does sound good, and has been ages since I've had it. Must add it to the menu soon.

I went out to lunch today for Chinese. It was kind of a late lunch and I brought home a few leftovers, so nibbled on those this evening.

Hot dogs with onions and tomato over small pasta shells.

hot_dogs_tomato_onion_102017_IMG_3303.jpg

I'm drooling over all the meals tonight.

I made a really delicious "comfort food" dinner tonight based on this recipe. It was well worth the carbs spent. I used a Dolly breast cut up in small pieces although it would be great with leftover rotisserie chicken. I added mushrooms to the mix, along with thyme and marjoram and I used fresh frozen noodles. A quart freezer bag is safe in the freezer for a future rainy night when I don't want to cook.
This one pan wonder is a real keeper..
https://www.the-girl-who-ate-everything.com/2016/02/creamy-chicken-noodle-skillet.html

s&p, you've given me a taste for shrimp and grits now. It is getting cool enough for that kind of meal. :yum:

Those "chicken bombs" look like Da Bomb, casey. I can practically feel the heat through the screen. :LOL:

...CG...isn't tonight the peak viewing of the meteor shower? You might not see Himself until morning.:ohmy: :LOL:...
He was home before 10:00 PM. Using a telescope isn't practical for a meteor shower. They move faster than the scope mount...or Himself! :whistling

I made my own Cranberry Pecan Chicken Salad yesterday (kind-of)..... they didn't have the premade at Wal-Mart yesterday, but they did have the regular chicken salad. I got 2 things of that, and put two pkgs of dried cranberries and candied pecans in it, and a smidgen of honey. Mom said it tasted better than the premade from WM. We have enough left for supper tonight.

A great meal..

Ross

ok... That's the last time I do a tongue-in cheek post..

I thought certain someone would say, " Ross, are you out of your mind with that gourmet crap?"... :ROFLMAO::LOL::ermm:

Ross

I let two big chunks of pork wallow in the crock pot all day with chicken broth, lemon juice and herbs & spices, shredded it, and made carnitas tacos for supper. The leftovers will be made into breakfast chimichangas for Sunday Brunch

Curried Cauliflower Soup. I had a grilled cheese sandwich and TB had a patty melt.

The soup was made with a head of cauliflower that got stuck at the back of the fridge (but only needed a little shaved off), coconut milk, vegetable stock, curry powder, S&P, cumin, and a dash of heavy cream to give it that extra richness. I love using things I find to make something delicious!

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom