Friday dinner..5/11/18

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Hamburger sliders with cheddar and bacon horsradish potato salad. There were also onions sauteed in the bacon grease for the sliders.

Attachments

• 2018-05-11 17.49.18.jpg
    2018-05-11 17.49.18.jpg
    37.2 KB · Views: 130
Last edited:
Mmmm, that looks and sounds delish, Kay. Looking forward to a review!

I grilled some chicken thighs this afternoon - the wind came up in during grilling, unfortunately, but at least they were almost done by then. :huh:

I basted them with Trader Joe's Island Soyaki, and will have watermelon, cherry tomatoes, and sliced cucumber for sides.

Broiled Pork Chop....

39817-albums1064-picture7340.jpg
[/IMG]

Just got home and was too busy all day to think about dinner. GF is doing a road trip for cash and carry and will be home in an hour..I think I will melt things on naan bread and maybe some duck fat fries in the oven..some kind of tomato and cucumber salad for my veggie fix...drinking a 9% French dark ale so eating doesn't seem that much of a priority right now..;)

It's been Nurses Week all week at work. There has been so much food and desserts and leftovers and...and...tonight I'm having oatmeal with raisins and cinnamon. Time to sit back and relax.

Since I have to work both morning and evening, AND my son has a rugby match in between this Sunday, Mother's day, we decided to go out to celebrate tonight.

We went to one of my wife's favourite places down by the lake where we slip our boat: https://www.stmoritzgrill.com/

Once again, everything was outstanding. We started with PEI mussels in a creamy andouille sauce, then my wife had the honey balsamic glazed salmon topped with frizzled leeks, and a side of sweet potato orzo.
My boy had the tapas plate (made into a dinner serving) of shrimp and andouille over asiago cheese grits.
I had the filet mignon tips in mushroom demi-glace with chunks of artisnal blue cheese, mashed, and haricot vert.

For dessert, we had cappucinos and shared an absolutely decadent creme brulee.

We must have eaten there a dozen times by now, and we've never had a single dish that wasn't fantastic.

A few days ago Kgirl left a link that led me here..https://www.foodland.com/recipe/adobo-pork-ribs

I havn't been able to get my mind of the video and recipe so tonight''s the night.

I'll serve these special ribs with steamed Jasmine rice, and spinach salad.

The bottom line is this recipe is a real keeper

A few notes from me..

Browning the individual ribs very well is mandatory but causes a greasy mess on the stove top unless you have a Fry Wall..(love that thing). Otherwise do it outside if possible. I poured off all the grease (leaving the fond) before adding the rest of the ingredients. It took nearly twice as long to cook the ribs to our desired tenderness with the sauce. The reduced sauce is just killer on top of the rice I served.
I'll definitely do this again.:chef: :yum:

Last edited:
Everybody keeps cooking pan seared scallops, which made me hungry for pan seared scallops. So I made some tonight. Here's my way.

I started with a cast-iron skillet. I diced some bacon and rendered it down, and removed the meat. I added a little EVOO to the bacon fat, and pan seared my sea scallops. I removed them from the pan, added some butter and diced California garlic to the pan, and did a quick fry of my cooked white rice, and added the bacon meat back.

So, what you see below is scallops pan seared in bacon fat, with bacon and rice, fried in bacon, OO and garlic.

No recipe. This was seat-of-the-pants cooking. Bacon and scallops were made for each other.

CD

Attachments

• Scallops5-18.jpg
    Scallops5-18.jpg
    155.7 KB · Views: 120
I fix scallops and bacon with Brussels sprouts on occasion. If you consider sprouts little green balls of death, feel free to carry on without using them.

Sea scallops are still 9.99 / lb., so scallops it is. Repeat of a dinner earlier this week. Faux risotto Milanese in the Zoji, nuked asparagus.
If the fishmonger guy at Market Basket is right, prices will stay low or go lower this year. I like scallops, so I'm not complaining.

Today was a grocery shop day, so salad and leftovers were planned. Then I, in Himself's words, "made a production out of it". Well it tasted good! The plate has a bed of mixed, dressed greens. Various leftovers were strewn about on the bed: corn, cucumber, salad olive slices, mushrooms, shredded mozzarella, leftover shrimp and shredded broasted chicken), and topped with tomato chunks and hard-cooked egg. Sunflower seed kernals, too.

Attachments

• 20180511_225112.jpg
    20180511_225112.jpg
    61.3 KB · Views: 105
The bottom line is this recipe is a real keeper

A few notes from me..

Browning the individual ribs very well is mandatory but causes a greasy mess on the stove top unless you have a Fry Wall..(love that thing). Otherwise do it outside if possible. I poured off all the grease (leaving the fond) before adding the rest of the ingredients. It took nearly twice as long to cook the ribs to our desired tenderness with the sauce. The reduced sauce is just killer on top of the rice I served.
I'll definitely do this again.:chef: :yum:

PICTURES!!!

That is a really good recipe KL, did you give the ribs a squirt of Lime?
I'm so glad that you found more recipes from Foodland, my all time grocery store in Hawaii.

It's Aloha Friday, so we had nice mixed plate of :

DH's plate: (from r-l on his plate) New Zealand Green Lip Mussel Hawaiian style Poke, Ahi Hawaiian Style Poke, Kalua Pig, Lomi Lomi Salmon and Cucumber Kim Chee--- no foa get da rice yeah?

My Plate: similar to DH's but instead of Mussel and Ahi, I've got Hawaiian Style Shrimp Poke

What's Hawaiian Style Poke you ask? It's Sea Salt, Green Onions, Inamona (ground Kukui Nut) and some sliced Sweet White Onion.
Really tasty !!

DSC00130.jpg

DSC00131.jpg

DSC00132.jpg

Is that the price for dry packed?

Craig, the price for dry sea scallops has dropped in the past few weeks. It's been on sale for the $9.99 price twice in the past month and the price between sales is lower than it has been.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom