Friday's dinner 9/9

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

luckytrim

Chef Extraordinaire
September's 1/3 gone already,
and I just remembered to flip the
Page on the Kitchen Calendar ..........

Salmon Filet, Teriyaki Sauce,
Calamari Rings, Orange & Sweet Chili Dipping Sauce,
Steamed Carrots & Early Peas...

Salmon Filet, Calamari Rings 9-9-22.jpg

We ordered Greek food. It should be here momentarily. I'm getting hungry and eager to eat some of that yummy food.

We ordered Greek food. It should be here momentarily. I'm getting hungry and eager to eat some of that yummy food.

Food arrived minutes after my previous post. I had a souvlaki platter: salad, souvlaki, roast potatoes, and rice pilaf. DH had a chicken brochette, with the same sides. And we ordered an appetizer of loukaniko sausage. Dang, that sausage is good. The entire meal was good. I'm stuffed.

Chinese restaurant style chicken wings on the grill and cole slaw all washed down with an adult beverage.

IMG_0306.jpg

We have leftover tortellini and pizza. Himself is off for his first stargazing night tonight, so it's to each his/her own. I did save half the tortellini for him - so far. :LOL:

If I bother, we'll have strawberry shortcake on those silly dessert cups, AKA "sponges", with either a scoop of ice cream or some canned whipping cream. Last time ever for the sponges - Himself informed me that I have finally won him over completely to using a slice of pound cake. :w00t:

We have leftover tortellini and pizza. Himself is off for his first stargazing night tonight, so it's to each his/her own. I did save half the tortellini for him - so far. :LOL:

If I bother, we'll have strawberry shortcake on those silly dessert cups, AKA "sponges", with either a scoop of ice cream or some canned whipping cream. Last time ever for the sponges - Himself informed me that I have finally won him over completely to using a slice of pound cake. :w00t:

sponges?

I grew up having strawberry shortcake on those. It’s all I knew.

Andy, that was the only way Himself had shortcake growing up. I was raised on Bisquick shortcake biscuits. We each get our own way once a year, but we can agree to pound cake. Angel food cake comes in at second
It's a sponge cake disc about the size of a hockey puck, with a depression in the middle. By the time you load it with sliced berries and a bit of ice cream or whipped cream, the cake is pretty much mush.

Son used the new digital, remote meat thermometer to make beautifully cooked top sirloin for the kids and me. Son and his wife ate ribeye. We had home canned green beans, and spinach salad as sides, No desert.

There are fresh blueberries, and strawberries in the fridge, Later, after all have gone to bed, I might make some Cream Of Wheat with cream and berries.

The strawberry shortcake I grew up with, were also in the sponge cake cups, topped with a thawed can of frozen strawberries, and whipped cream. If you think about it, it's pretty similar to a berry fool, which is a type of pudding, or so I thought.

This recipe was my first intro yo fools:

Raspberry Fool

This is a delectably sweet and refreshing desert for any occasion. The recipe looks messy, but turns into a wonderful pudding.

Ingredients:
3 cups fresh or frozen raspberries
1 cup sugar
½ tsp. salt
1 loaf whole-wheat bread
½ stick butter

Wash, then mash the berries with the sugar, or Splenda, and salt. Let sit in the refrigerator.

Butter the sides and bottom of a 9 inch cake pan with two inch sides. Remove the crust from three slices of bread and line the sides and bottom of the pan to form a solid crust. Fill with an eighth inch layer of the raspberry filling. Top with a layer of crust-free bread. Add more filling.

Continue layering the filling and bread until you have almost reached the pan top. The final layer is bread. Place a heavy plate on top, taking care not to squish out the raspberry filling and place in the fridge overnight. Serve with Chantilly cream.

The word fool comes from a french word meaning to crush. It turns out that British fools are berry, or fruit compotes folded into a sweetened whipped cream, crème' fraiche, or sweetened yogurt, no bread, or cake required.

Seeeeyal Chief Longwind of the North

Andy, that was the only way Himself had shortcake growing up. I was raised on Bisquick shortcake biscuits. We each get our own way once a year, but we can agree to pound cake. Angel food cake comes in at second It's a sponge cake disc about the size of a hockey puck, with a depression in the middle. By the time you load it with sliced berries and a bit of ice cream or whipped cream, the cake is pretty much mush.

View attachment 53312

First you put strawberries and the juices into the center then top it with whipped cream and more strawberries.

Thanks. I have seen those. I don't think I have ever had them. I didn't grow up with strawberry shortcake. It's not how strawberries are served in Denmark or Sweden, so my parents were not familiar with them. You miss out on a lot of Americana when your parents immigrated a few years before you were born.

Last edited:
Andy, that was the only way Himself had shortcake growing up. I was raised on Bisquick shortcake biscuits. We each get our own way once a year, but we can agree to pound cake. Angel food cake comes in at second It's a sponge cake disc about the size of a hockey puck, with a depression in the middle. By the time you load it with sliced berries and a bit of ice cream or whipped cream, the cake is pretty much mush.

A friend of ours brings "Strawberry Shortcake" to most campouts. She likes to serve it on Lemon Poundcake.

No pictures, but we had a wonderful dinner last night. Kind of into curries, these days. Last night was Meatballs in Panaeng Curry Sauce with Coconut Rice and a chopped salad on the side. Yum!!

Back
Top Bottom