Friday's Kitchen Efforts - 5/14

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

luckytrim

Chef Extraordinaire
Friday is Seafood night !
Seared Scallops and White Rice under a Bechamel & Cheddar Sauce, and A Vegetable Medley ...

Scallops under Cheddar sauce.jpg

Dear friends from Ohio are on the loose right now. They left the timeshare on Cape Cod today, headed to Stowe VT for a check in tomorrow. Fortuitously, our favorite Irish pub is along their route! We met for lunch- and yes, Himself and I were up, dressed, and on our way by noon! Most of our lunches became our suppers: Himself had a smoked salmon panini with fries, I had chicken schnitzel saltimboca with their special loaded potato and a veggie mix.

No photos- we were way too busy talking!

Tonight's dinner was pork kebabs with five spice and hoisin, roasted potatoes and glazed carrots.

F577353D-4D6C-4852-8F61-EBD9B4B0BB7B_1_105_c.jpg

Exciting news, food and chats!

It's Aloha Friday for us, so it's Fish & Rice here in the middle of the desert (wishing it was really in the middle of the Pacific Ocean, which it would have been had it not been for, well, we won't go into that :mad:)

IMG_0566.jpg

Jell-o with fresh Cherries and Redi-Wip later for dessert! :yum:

An elegant Japanese rice dish, Takikomi

I made this last week, then again yesterday after listening to some young people talk about how hard it is to cook -- then I made a video.

This really is good. I'll post a recipe in the proper place here.

quick and tastyEdit.jpg

We were going to order a pizza, but our local pizza place was is unexpectedly closed for two weeks. I don't know why, but I wonder if one of the staff contracted Covid-19.

So, plan B - I keep some kind of frozen dinner in the freezer for occasions such as this, so last night we had PF Chang's sweet and sour chicken over freshly made white rice. Then DH cooked up a few frozen dumplings while I made a dipping sauce. Hit the spot.
20210514_205806.jpg20210514_213817.jpg

We were going to order a pizza, but our local pizza place was is unexpectedly closed for two weeks. I don't know why, but I wonder if one of the staff contracted Covid-19.

So, plan B - I keep some kind of frozen dinner in the freezer for occasions such as this, so last night we had PF Chang's sweet and sour chicken over freshly made white rice. Then DH cooked up a few frozen dumplings while I made a dipping sauce. Hit the spot.

I'm not 100% happy with the dipping sauce I make. Will you share your recipe? :)

Ross

I'm not 100% happy with the dipping sauce I make. Will you share your recipe? [emoji2]

Ross
Well, it's not so much a recipe as a method. I start with pulling out my soy sauce, oyster sauce, mirin, Sriracha, toasted sesame oil and rice vinegar. I mix them in a small bowl - more soy sauce, mirin and vinegar than the others - and taste. I'm looking for a balance of salty, sweet, tangy and umami, with emphasis on umami, so I add more of what it seems to need till I get the taste I want. If I remember, I top it with a little grated ginger and sliced chives.

Last edited:
Well, it's not so much a recipe as a method. I start with pulling out my soy sauce, oyster sauce, mirin, Sriracha, toasted sesame oil and rice vinegar. I mix them in a small bowl - more soy sauce, mirin and vinegar than the others - and taste. I'm looking for a balance of salty, sweet, tangy and umami, with emphasis on umami, so I add more of what it seems to need till I get the taste I want. If I remember, I top it with a little grated ginger and sliced chives.

Thank you. :)

That's how I build mine but, you are using a few things I'd not thought to add. :yum:

Ross

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom