Frog legs.......

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Kayelle

Chef Extraordinaire
img_912839_0_a1ffa387727e5cf9050c5f069aba5ea4.jpg

Has anyone prepared or eaten them?
I ordered them once at a French restaurant, when they came I couldn't eat them, so my Dad did.

img_912842_0_a1ffa387727e5cf9050c5f069aba5ea4.jpg

Has anyone prepared or eaten them?
I ordered them once at a French restaurant, when they came I couldn't eat them, so my Dad did.
I use to go frogging with my dad and I loved them.
kades

God K I haven't had them since I was a kid (just a few years ago) my uncle had me try them, fried from Nathans in Long Island... Tasted,,, just like chicken... :LOL::LOL::LOL:

Our favorite Oriental buffet has them lightly fried with salt pepper and some jalapeno slices in the mix. VERY good!

Frogs legs, when cooked properly are very good. They don't, however, taste like chicken. The texture if very similar to chicken. But the flavor is somewhere between chicken and clams.

The problem with frogs legs is that if they are overcooked, they can be very tough indeed. If you purchase them from your local grocer's freezer, try saute'ing in a little butter or olive oil, with garlic. Don't be alarmed if they twitch. The whole muscle is intact as a complete leg. Again, cook until just done. Do not overcook.

Seeeeeeya; Goodweed of the North

I've had them at several places, and have cooked quite a few in my time as well. Usually breaded and fried. In recent years, though, I'm just not so keen on them.

I like frog legs a lot. They are becoming more popular around here and, like someone else said, they are awesome on the Asian buffet! I also agree that the texture is like chicken but there is a pleasant mild clam taste. Give them a try, Kayelle!

Frogs legs, when cooked properly are very good. They don't, however, taste like chicken. The texture if very similar to chicken. But the flavor is somewhere between chicken and clams.

The problem with frogs legs is that if they are overcooked, they can be very tough indeed. If you purchase them from your local grocer's freezer, try saute'ing in a little butter or olive oil, with garlic. Don't be alarmed if they twitch. The whole muscle is intact as a complete leg. Again, cook until just done. Do not overcook.

Seeeeeeya; Goodweed of the North

:LOL: 40 years ago they tasted like chicken !!!

Toooo funny! My "Uncle" Dick used to ask me if I'd like frog legs for dinner when the family visited a favorite restaurant! I didn't believe anyone really ate them until I grew up! I've never tried them but after these posts I'm willing to try! Thanks!

Frog's legs are rich in protein and are best cooked simply and briefly. Dust in seasoned flour before sautéing in butter. I suggest spraying the pan with a puff of olive oil, followed by a knob of butter. The oil helps prevent sticking.

Frog's legs are rich in protein and are best cooked simply and briefly. Dust in seasoned flour before sautéing in butter. I suggest spraying the pan with a puff of olive oil, followed by a knob of butter. The oil helps prevent sticking.

Your description of how to cook them sounds lovely Linux, a lot like Nigella Lawson. Just curious, how do you handle the "twitching" ? :ohmy:

Your description of how to cook them sounds lovely Linux, a lot like Nigella Lawson. Just curious, how do you handle the "twitching" ? :ohmy:

I said "sticking", sweetie, not "Twitching". :LOL:

Thanks for the compliment about my sounding like Nigella Lawson, but her cooking doesn't, IMO, have soul.

I said "sticking", sweetie, not "Twitching". :LOL:

Thanks for the compliment about my sounding like Nigella Lawson, but her cooking doesn't, IMO, have soul.

No, I'm not talking about "sticking", that I can handle. You didn't read what Goodweed had to say?

Don't be alarmed if they twitch. The whole muscle is intact as a complete leg. Again, cook until just done. Do not overcook.

:sick::sick:

No, I'm not talking about "sticking", that I can handle. You didn't read what Goodweed had to say?

:sick::sick:

Yes, I did read, but frog's legs don't always twitch, and I've cooked scores of them.

In my trade you get used to handling a whole load of offal, even chicken livers I used to feel ick about, but when cooking in Reims where the French eat anything, after a while twitchables become passé. :cool:

They only twitch if they are extraordinarily fresh--if you catch them yourself, clean and cook them quickly, they may twitch. If they have been refrigerated or frozen, they are quite thoroughly dead and will not jump out of the pan.

I have been quite disappointed with the ones on buffets-they taste muddy to me. I think most of those are imported from Asia.

They only twitch if they are extraordinarily fresh--if you catch them yourself, clean and cook them quickly, they may twitch. If they have been refrigerated or frozen, they are quite thoroughly dead and will not jump out of the pan.

I have been quite disappointed with the ones on buffets-they taste muddy to me. I think most of those are imported from Asia.
...froglegs twitch when cooked fresh? :shock: :unhappy:
...they jump out of the pan if not refrigerated first? :eek:
...the asian ones taste muddy on buffets? :sick:

I always thought ANYthing tastes good when fried
and cooked in garlic&butter but...:ermm:...no thank you

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom