From scratch cooking has a new meaning

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Linda123

Senior Cook
Hello everyone,

I was reading some posts on my Facebook account and one of my cousins (in her early 20s) wrote that she "made Hamburger Helper from scratch"....and the comments were 'you are in the mommy mode" and several "liked" that! The world is a-changin', huh?

Could she possibly have meant that it was like Hamburger Helper, but she did it from scratch?

LOL Things definitely are changing!

The funny thing is, someone gave me some Hamburger Helper once. Not only was it so salty it was practically inedible, but it wasn't any easier than cooking a typical meal from scratch.

Making a Mock Hamburger Helper dinner was my first attempt at cooking. After I saw what was in the box, I realized that I could use ingredients we already had around the house.

Cream of something soup
Pasta
Hamburger

Of course the Cream of Soup wasn't scratch, but it was my first try at age 14 I think, AND it was much, much better than Hamburger Helper.:chef:

Making a Mock Hamburger Helper dinner was my first attempt at cooking. After I saw what was in the box, I realized that I could use ingredients we already had around the house.

Cream of something soup
Pasta
Hamburger

Of course the Cream of Soup wasn't scratch, but it was my first try at age 14 I think, AND it was much, much better than Hamburger Helper.:chef:
I call that "half scratch!"

:)Barbara

Maybe the people who liked and commented on it thought she created a hamburger helper like dish? This is my hamburger helper style creation:

2 1/2 cups elbow macaroni
4 T butter, divided
3 cups whole milk
3/4 t. Dry mustard
3/4 t. Salt
1 1/2 t. Cayenne pepper
1 t. Chili powder (or to taste)
1/2 t. Ground white pepper
1 1/4 cup shredded pepperjack
1 1/4 cup shredded sharp cheddar
1/2 cup grated Parmesan
1/3 cup dry bread crumbs
1 lb ground beef, browned

1. Cook macaroni according to package directions, for al dente

2. Meanwhile, preheat oven to 375

3. In large sauce pan, bring milk, 2 T butter, mustard, salt, pepper, and cayenne to a boil, stirring constantly.

4. Remove from heat, whisk in cheese until smooth. Stir in macaroni and hamburger, pour into shallow 2 quart baking dish.

5. Melt remaining butter, stir in bread crumbs and chili powder, sprinkle over macaroni. Bake 30 min. Let stand 10 min before serving.

Back
Top Bottom