Front Porch Remodel

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

GinnyPNW

Master Chef
For a long time, I've wanted to fix the mess of a front porch that came with my home. From time to time, we've looked for a contractor to do it, but couldn't find one that both wanted the job and could do it in a reasonable time-frame. A few weeks back, we noticed that the house behind our house was having a frequent visitor in a truck with graphics saying "stone manufacturing and installation." So, DH took a walk over to see the project. The guy does nice work, was able to give a bid that included everything we wanted at a price that we were willing to pay and he could do it very soon! So the project has begun. Last Wednesday was supposed to be the ONE day of demo work. Sadly, he was called away to deal with a broken pipe at home. Today, Monday, he is back to finish the demo. I'll post some pictures later...but I have to say, this contractor looks to be about 12-years-old! And, today, he brought his YOUNGER brother to help finish the demo. Neither one of them shaves, I'm pretty sure!

So here's my request to my DC friends: If I stop posting for some unknown reason, please come bail me out of jail! I'm afraid someone is going to call Child Protective Services and they will never believe that the two boys working on my front porch are anywhere near old enough to be doing it! 😬

Our handyman is very young looking, too! In spite of the fact that he has 9 or 10 kids! When he brought one of his sons to look at our house for possible purchase (sadly, our yard was too small), they looked like they could pass for brothers.

Maybe it's a requirement for the job?

Looking forward to the pictures!

Hey, don't forget (hope it's not too late) Before and After pictures are sooo impressive!
Yes, I took a before picture and an end of Demo Day 1 picture too. Today, I'll grab an end of day picture and post those. Although it was sunny last week, it is overcast and rainy today.

Before...ugh!!
InkedIMG_7129.jpg

Day 1 Demo:
IMG_7134.jpg
Demo Day 1 - End of Day:
Uncovered some of the secrets. Things are never square.
InkedIMG_7137.jpg

Day 2 Demo/start of new: He/they got both posts boxed out, then realized that one was 1/2 inch off, such that he couldn't leave it, so tore it out again. They return tomorrow, noonish to do more. We do not usually have cardboard in the windows. That was meant to block the dogs from sitting at the window and barking...and barking....and barking...
InkedIMG_7147.jpg

Last edited:
Like you, I am looking forward to the end results. Any idea how long it will take?
Uncovered some of the secrets. Things are never square.

Day 2 Demo/start of new: He/they got both posts boxed out, then realized that one was 1/2 inch off, such that he couldn't leave it, so tore it out again...
Nor are they always level. Like our original porch steps. When we pointed it out to the builder (after we had moved in, of course), he said "oh, they'll settle". :glare::angry:

He asked to leave the boxes in front of the porch, DH said sure, I said, How long? He said 2 or 3 days, 2 weeks at most...🤣 - so similar, no? So...NO!!! I have no idea and I really don't fret on it. I like the kid. Maybe tomorrow, he'll bring his whole class to work on the porch? 🤣

yeah, have learned to add a 0 to the end of all quotes. $500, suddenly becomes $5,000. Triple or quadruple, 3 weeks becomes 12 weeks, etc, etc.

Same as the grocery store, go in for 1 thing, come out with 10. go in for 2 things, come out with 20, etc, etc.

LOL, the plumber I had at the farm came with his son a couple of times. 12 years old and he knew what he was doing! "Get me the Flex Head Wrench." done, "Go and back up the truck over here, so we can pull up the pump" done! and not only that, he didn't slouch on his way to fetch and carry - he sped right along!

Hmmmm...we've had really good luck with contractors up here, for the most part. The bathroom remodel was supposed to be 3-4 weeks and I think it was 4 weeks, plus 1 day. Then, the following week, we were told to "shelter in place for 2 weeks". Whew, glad we beat that part! We had 1 contractor quote it and say it would take 6 months! He did NOT get the job. The porch isn't as critical as the bathroom! :ROFLMAO:

Day 4 of work and the posts are mostly done. He manufactured the caps...and the mortar will dry to about the same color of the "stone caps". Sadly...the natural stone arrived to the vendor in an unusable condition. Apparently, the shipping company stacked the pallets and then gave them a good shove or something, such that many are broken and/or smashed. The vendor doesn't want to have any of it used, even if it might look good. They are afraid that it is compromised and could give issues in the future. So, new stone is on order...should be here in a week or 2. Sigh.

Rain & snow doesn't stop construction in the PNW, or nothing would get done! Put up an E-Z up!
IMG_7168.jpg

Here's the end of day shot:
InkedIMG_7169.jpg

And then, time for the official inspectors...

IMG_7175.jpg

Aha! I saw you bribing those Inspectors. Shame on you!

They've left the bottoms of the pillars undone so as to fit the floor in?

Aha! I saw you bribing those Inspectors. Shame on you!

They've left the bottoms of the pillars undone so as to fit the floor in?
:ROFLMAO: Yep! You would be surprised at what a little cheese can get you!

I've not questioned the kid, but that would be my guess. Need to have that floor done and then finish. They did have some lower and then removed them. I guess he got it close and then will fill in after?

DH has agreed that it is amazing to see an 8th grader do such great stuff! :ROFLMAO: I have to say, up close, the younger brother does seem to be older. Probably because the younger brother is taller than me - I'm 5'6" - and the older brother is shorter than me.

Just a quick update...the guys came back last week. They spent Wednesday and Thursday grinding the porch to ready it for the stone tiles. Leveling it and then getting the proper pitch to it so that rain drains instead of not. Ultimately, they decided that they needed to change the pattern of the tiles, to better insure that they will not crack in the future. The original porch must have been much smaller and then they "added" to it, but did not tie it all together. Anyway, Friday they laid tiles...and discovered that they need 7 more of the larger tiles in order to complete the new pattern. Sigh. So, more tiles have been ordered and we will wait for them to arrive. At least now, the porch is usable, if still incomplete.
IMG_7323.jpg

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom