Fudgy Walnut Cookies, Gluten Free

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Janet H

Certifiable Executive Chef
Staff member
There is a bakery in my town that has the BEST chewy chocolate and walnut cookies. I finally read the sign over the bakery case and it said they were gluten free - nice because I have a friend who is a celiac and these are nice for dessert with some berries and cream. The cookies sell for $3 each and so I figured I could make them and save a bundle. Not as easy as I had hoped. I tried a number of recipes that looked similar and none were as good - I tweaked the recipe, repeatedly and finally have a great cookie - sharing the chocolate love with you all..
This was the base recipe I started with: https://www.epicurious.com/recipes/food/views/flourless-chocolate-walnut-cookies-350890. it's a pretty famous flourless cookie originally from Francois Payard. Mines Better - I promise. No skipping ingredients.....

This is the improved version:

Oven: 350
Line 2 large baking sheets with parchment paper.

2 1/2 C chopped walnuts
2 oz almond paste, shredded minced or shaved (a box grater works well)
2 1/2 C powdered sugar
3/4 C blended cocoa pwd (½ dutched cocoa and ½ unprocessed cocoa)
1/4 teaspoon salt
4 XL egg whites
1 T vanilla extract
4 drops almond extract

• Toast, chop and cool walnuts. Shred or mince almond paste (box grater works well).
• Mix sugar, cocoa and salt in a mixing bowl.
• Toss in walnuts and almond paste.
• In a smaller bowl loosen egg whites with extracts (whisk with a fork).
• Pour egg mixture into dry ingredients and stir together with wooden spoon. Mixture will initially be dry and powdery but keep going - it will turn into a thick paste. Once combined, stop! Do not over mix as cookies will become dry after baking. Do not use an electric mixer or whisk.
• Drop batter by the spoonfuls onto baking sheets in evenly spaced mounds and press down to flatten a bit.
• Bake cookies until tops are lightly cracked and glossy, about 15 minutes. Store in an airtight container at room temperature for a few days .

Cookie spread during cooking = 20 percent
Makes 24, 3 inch cookies

Chocolaty, Chewy, FABULOUS!

Attachments

• chocolate cookie.jpg
    chocolate cookie.jpg
    15.2 KB · Views: 269
  • GF Chocolate cookies 8x8.pdf
    60.4 KB · Views: 160
Last edited:
There is a bakery in my town that has the BEST chewy chocolate and walnut cookies. I finally read the sign over the bakery case and it said they were gluten free - nice because I have a friend who is a celiac and these are nice for dessert with some berries and cream. The cookies sell for $3 each and so I figured I could make them and save a bundle. Not as easy as I had hoped. I tried a number of recipes that looked similar and none were as good - I tweaked the recipe, repeatedly and finally have a great cookie - sharing the chocolate love with you all..
This was the base recipe I started with: https://www.epicurious.com/recipes/food/views/flourless-chocolate-walnut-cookies-350890. it's a pretty famous flourless cookie originally from Francois Payard. Mines Better - I promise. No skipping ingredients.....

This is the improved version:

Oven: 350
Line 2 large baking sheets with parchment paper.

2 1/2 C chopped walnuts
2 oz almond paste, shredded minced or shaved (a box grater works well)
2 1/2 C powdered sugar
3/4 C blended cocoa pwd (½ dutched cocoa and ½ unprocessed cocoa)
1/4 teaspoon salt
4 XL egg whites
1 T vanilla extract
4 drops almond extract

• Toast, chop and cool walnuts. Shred or mince almond paste (box grater works well).
• Mix sugar, cocoa and salt in a mixing bowl.
• Toss in walnuts and almond paste.
• In a smaller bowl loosen egg whites with extracts (whisk with a fork).
• Pour egg mixture into dry ingredients and stir together with wooden spoon. Mixture will initially be dry and powdery but keep going - it will turn into a thick paste. Once combined, stop! Do not over mix as cookies will become dry after baking. Do not use an electric mixer or whisk.
• Drop batter by the spoonfuls onto baking sheets in evenly spaced mounds and press down to flatten a bit.
• Bake cookies until tops are lightly cracked and glossy, about 15 minutes. Store in an airtight container at room temperature for a few days .

Cookie spread during cooking = 20 percent
Makes 24, 3 inch cookies

Chocolaty, Chewy, FABULOUS!

I tried to take a bite, but my glass screen on my computer got in the way. So tempting.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom