Funny Looking Safety Protection Device.

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Corey123

Washing Up
Has anyone seen this sort of funny looking safety device?
I bought one during the Christmas weekend because I got so sick & tired of cutting myself when cutting up onions, bell peppers, celery or carrots.

It's made of stainless steel and has an adjustable ring on the back that slips over your middle finger. Your other fingers stay behind this device and out of danger of the knife when slicing, chopping, dicing and cubing food. No more nicks & cuts from your knife!

And it's very santitary because it's made of stainless steel. It can be washed in the dishwasher. I bought it from Williams Sonoma. Try it out.:chef: :cool:

~Corey123.

I know that this is an old topic, but what I am looking for is a metal mesh glove worn on the left hand. I saw a sandwich-maker at Safeway using this.

Does anyone here know if this is readily available or if one has to shop at the comercial kitchen supply companies?

Thanks! I have had no luck finding a well-rated one on the Web.

PS: Yes, a few hours ago I just sliced about 1/2 of the nailbed off of my left middle finger while slicing scallions for the scrambled eggs. Never again. I've never bled like this and now I can't touch-type either. :mad:

I wouldn't be willing to use a metal glove around my knives, I might be willing to use Kevlar though.

Curl your fingers under and sharpen your knives. The scarier the edge on it the more you pay attention and keep your fingers out of the way. :)

There are many steel mesh gloves on Amazon. I suspect the best are Whiting and Davis/Chainex. (Remember great-granny's mesh purse - that's them.) $100 to $125. Other brands down to about $70. Three-finger mesh gloves a bit less.

Many thanx, GLC. I will go to Amazon again, where all I could find was one device and it was being panned.

By the way, I was using a sharp knife. Couldn't have been sharper. Of course, the basic cause was that I was chopping fast, but we are allowed to be imperfect in this world, and that is why we use protection according to our individual needs. I have too many scars, and I guess that is why even some home cooks go for these gloves.

I more or less agree with Frank. One of the most dangerous things you can have is a dull knife, because you have to assert more pressure. It's easier to control a sharper knife because you're putting your muscle effort into steering it instead of pushing it down. The harder you push the more likely you are to slip and have an accident.

And don't get crazy. Use proper technique and calm down, don't get in a hurry, and methodically complete your cutting/chopping job in an orderly manner.

In many things in life I use as a guideline what I see experts doing. I've never seen a professional chef wear a metal mesh glove. I've seen only butchers using them, usually filleting large amounts of fish. Instead, watch an expert chef on one of the food channels, perhaps Jacques Pepin, and copy the technique.

Last edited:
Jacques Pepin seems very proud of his chopping skills if recent TV shows are any indication. (These are the shows after Julia passed.) Honestly I can't recall seeing any chef chop faster than Jacques, and I advise anybody to not try to keep up with his speed, but rather, observe his technique. Then aspire to use the same technique but slow it down. Jacques has probably already cooked 10x to 100x the meals any of us will cook in a lifetime. Few of us could possibly keep up with him, but he has good style.

Daizymae, I've cut myself with both sharp and dull knives. To me, the only difference is that a cut from a dull knife hurts more. In my opinion, the main reason people cut themselves while using a knife is because they become careless or distracted. That includes cutting faster than you are truly comfortable going.

I'd bet that you would tire of using any safety devices after a while.

I know that this is an old topic, but what I am looking for is a metal mesh glove worn on the left hand. I saw a sandwich-maker at Safeway using this.

Does anyone here know if this is readily available or if one has to shop at the comercial kitchen supply companies?

Thanks! I have had no luck finding a well-rated one on the Web.

PS: Yes, a few hours ago I just sliced about 1/2 of the nailbed off of my left middle finger while slicing scallions for the scrambled eggs. Never again. I've never bled like this and now I can't touch-type either. :mad:

Hey Daizymae! here ya go:
Amazon.com: steel mesh gloves

I agree with Andy. I cut right through the nail on my lefdt middle finger while cutting up butter to put into a pie crust. Bled like crazy. It happened because I wasn;'t paying attention.

Back
Top Bottom