Garden 2023

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Im actually thinking of. cutting back on tomatoes due to the over abundance last year and the less mouths to feed. My problem is, I always plant more seeds than I need in fear of failure, and wind up with twice as many as I need. I then have to scramble to find space for them. I usually do try a new variety or two each year to see if there are any I can add to or replace with. Usually I start by seed early April, so I still have time.

MY kale overwintered really nicely. Lettuce , we finally picked the last of it last week. Probably throw some lettuce seed, arugula, radishes and peas in the ground later this month under some protection.

Ill also start looking for seed potatoes at local garden stores so I can chit them a few weeks early.

Did most of my planning over the winter, so really just a waiting game
Last year our tomatoes didn't germinate in the regular numbers we usually get. We plant about double what we will use and hope for the best. We sell off the extras or give them away. Facebook and Nextdoor, one listing with pictures usually get rid of the extras, and our neighbors take some too.
We're planting roma, san marzano, and redorta san marzano. The year's crops even out over time. We're finishing off the jars of sauce from 2020, which was a big year for us. We'll be replenishing our salsa this summer if we get a good crop of tomatoes.

We started peppers in the house, red and yellow bells and serrano peppers.

Just got peas in today ( it's like 60F outside and supposed to rain a bit later in the week). Also dug up some bamboo before it overruns that corner of my yard. Putting it in large pots to act as a privacy shield on my patio . Should be receiving 6 blue berry bushes within the next week or two so clean up the area where they will be planted . Also put my Mason Bee cocoons (that have been overwintering in my garage) out in the bee house. Will probably start getting bee shipments early April for the fruit trees.

I planted peas about 5 or 6 days ago, and have been looking to see if any popped up yet...but nothing. Same with those direct seeded brassicas, even further back. However, in 4 days about 80% of the brassicas inside have germinated, and the 2 types that have none yet are the oldest, so it makes sense.

Today I dug up that old rosemary, and planted the potted one I've had over 2 years in a 6 gal (I thought it was 4 gal) fabric pot, and it was totally rootbound. I cut probably about 2/3 of the roots off with a knife, before planting it, with some worm castings (saw a bunch of worms when I dug everything up, which is always good) and some of that soil out of the pot, I sifted most of the roots out of. I also replaced the mulch fabric, since I had to cut it up a lot, to get the plants out. And that fabric is 4' across, for a size reference. The other plant is the sage, that comes back every season.
Replaced the rosemary in the ground with the potted one, which was solid roots! by pepperhead212, on Flickr

Before doing this, I got almost 5 more gallons of soil mix ready for starting seeds - some used briefly, but the plants died, since it was too cold for it. I just sifted that, and some other soil mix I didn't heat, the first time. This time, instead of inside the indoor oven, like the first 3 gal batch I heated, to sterilize, I put the foil roasters with the soil in them on my outside grill, on low, and left them there, while I was outside, and eventually turned it off. Tomorrow I'll add the micorrhyzae and the Bt israelensis, like before, and get it ready for any seed starting, that is happening soon.

Update:
Here's that pepper, about 5 hours after I saw that sprout! And there is another sprout just to the left - about what that larger one looked like, when I first saw it. Others will come soon, I'm sure.
First pepper from the seeds, planted 5 days ago. Aji Dulce, another sprouted right next to it. 3-24 by pepperhead212, on Flickr

Out of those 16 varieties of brassicas I planted seeds for indoors, only 2 types - Superschmeltz Kohlrabi and Misome - didn't have a single germination, and they aren't even old ones! I haven't given up on them, and I have other kohlrabi sprouts, and sprouts of other greens, to fill in those pots with.

Last edited:
I may start planting this weekend. We had our last late season freeze last week... I hope. Just peppers and herbs again. Last year's heat and drought killed all my herbs, even the hardiest ones. So, I'm starting from scratch.

Rosemary, thyme, oregano, and basil, for sure. I may try something new in addition.

For peppers, cayenne and jalapeño for sure, and maybe something else.

CD

Just got an email that my onions will arrive on Monday. Hoping to get them in the ground on Wednesday. I'll also cut some of the larger seed potatoes up on Wednesday, give them a few days to scab up then hopefully get them in the ground next weekend. The weekend Ill be getting all my tomato seeds together, figuring out how many of which Ill be planting, and maybe even setting up the pots to start them in, but wont start them until next weekend. Ill need tto move some of my indoor/ outdoor plants into the garage to start hardening them off , and more importantly, to make room for the tomatoes, Cana Lillies and anything else I plan on starting by seed.

This was going to be the year I was going to put in raised beds, but the deer make that impossible. So everything is in buckets and tubs by the front of my trailer so I can keep them covered with netting.

I just can't get bulbs to grow. I've tried and tried. I finally got some gladiolas to come up, but the deer got them. I lost about 50 bulbs that never came up and my calla lilies that died after they grew.

This year, now, I got tulips (on account of I'm a slow learner), and put them in the fridge for a month or so and then planted them a couple days ago. I think it's done getting down to freezing at night now. And I planted some irises where the gladiolas are/were. Deer aren't supposed to like them.

The climbing rose, willow tree, and the azalea all have buds on them. So far the smoke bush and the wisteria look dead. The smoke bush was chowed down to nothing by who else? last fall.

But my new thing is two little pink pampas plants. I got those planted yesterday. And in a couple of days I'm going to get more dirt and plant the giant sunflowers, then start the rock garden - it's a garden bed with a rock border. I've got snapdragon and marigold seed to put there, plus some other wildflowers that might come up as well. I'm throwing down hundreds of California poppies and I hope they grow.

But until I get a fence, no veggies.

Oh my rr, you sure are tenacious. I don't know if I could persevere under that onslaught! Bravo to you!

LOL, I'm rooting for the sunflowers!

This was going to be the year I was going to put in raised beds, but the deer make that impossible. So everything is in buckets and tubs by the front of my trailer so I can keep them covered with netting.

I just can't get bulbs to grow. I've tried and tried. I finally got some gladiolas to come up, but the deer got them. I lost about 50 bulbs that never came up and my calla lilies that died after they grew.

This year, now, I got tulips (on account of I'm a slow learner), and put them in the fridge for a month or so and then planted them a couple days ago. I think it's done getting down to freezing at night now. And I planted some irises where the gladiolas are/were. Deer aren't supposed to like them.

The climbing rose, willow tree, and the azalea all have buds on them. So far the smoke bush and the wisteria look dead. The smoke bush was chowed down to nothing by who else? last fall.

But my new thing is two little pink pampas plants. I got those planted yesterday. And in a couple of days I'm going to get more dirt and plant the giant sunflowers, then start the rock garden - it's a garden bed with a rock border. I've got snapdragon and marigold seed to put there, plus some other wildflowers that might come up as well. I'm throwing down hundreds of California poppies and I hope they grow.

But until I get a fence, no veggies.
Good luck with the flowers, and your battle with the deer.

My yard is fenced, so although, on occasion, we'll get deer in the front yard ( setting off the ring cam), It's impossible for them to get in the back, too I thought. A few weeks ago I get a call from my wife that there are 3 deer in my backyard ( gates were closed). When I got home from work, I walked up and down the fenced property line to try and figure out how they did it. The only thing I can thing of, is there is a gap between mine and the neighbors fence. The fence has a little give to it, and the deer had no antlers, so they could have squeezed through. They couldn't find their way out, so we left both gates open until they left. Last year we had a turkey running around the yard. Both deer and turkey common here, but usually not in fenced in residential areas.

My battles are with the raccoons and squirrels ( and occasional birds).

Larry - just in case you hadn't realized, deer can JUMP! :ROFLMAO: and I mean JUMP! :oops:

I often had deer in the horse paddocks - and these were all electrified fences. How tall are your fences? I've even seen - I watched him - a coyote jump one of the electric fences carrying one of my geese.

Larry - just in case you hadn't realized, deer can JUMP! :ROFLMAO: and I mean JUMP! :oops:

I often had deer in the horse paddocks - and these were all electrified fences. How tall are your fences? I've even seen - I watched him - a coyote jump one of the electric fences carrying one of my geese.
I was going to mention the jumping. I'm in awe of that coyote jumping the fence, loaded down with a goose.

Human hair deters deer. If there is a barber shop or hair salon near you, ask them to put the hair cuttings in a plastic bag for you. Barbershops are better, since the hair isn't colored (usually). Put the hair in the toes of pantyhose or any thin material, and tie the "hair balls" around the garden.

These deer seemed small and youngish. Although possible, I'm thinking they more likely squeezed through the gap. I did capture them on the ring cam, and they were hanging out near that gap before they disappeared. Although I didnt actually see them squeeze through, the other cam ( in the backyard) likely would have captured their image if they jumped.

Good luck with the flowers, and your battle with the deer.

My yard is fenced, so although, on occasion, we'll get deer in the front yard ( setting off the ring cam), It's impossible for them to get in the back, too I thought. A few weeks ago I get a call from my wife that there are 3 deer in my backyard ( gates were closed). When I got home from work, I walked up and down the fenced property line to try and figure out how they did it. The only thing I can thing of, is there is a gap between mine and the neighbors fence. The fence has a little give to it, and the deer had no antlers, so they could have squeezed through. They couldn't find their way out, so we left both gates open until they left. Last year we had a turkey running around the yard. Both deer and turkey common here, but usually not in fenced in residential areas.

My battles are with the raccoons and squirrels ( and occasional birds).

Our lake house was in a National Forrest, so we had a lot of deer, and no hunting. We had no fence (not allowed), so we planted shrubs and such that deer don't like. We had a great producing fig tree, and the deer never bothered it. I guess they don't like figs.

North Texas has raccoons. Camping here requires us to keep all food in the car. The coons can't get into locked cars... yet. :rolleyes: We have two that wander around our neighborhood.

We have a lot of rabbits. They don't like my peppers and herbs, so not a problem.

Field rats were a BIG problem. I even had one build a nest in the engine compartment of my car, which is garage kept. That problem has been minimized with the addition of feral cats. People in the neighborhood have provided them with shelters, so they hang out and hunt at night. During the severe heat and drought last summer, I kept a big water bowl full for the cats.

CD

Larry, I can make a suggestion as a deterrent. It is one that is often used, and lauded, for keeping predators away from your chickens.

It has to be done by a male, so I suggest you do it at night when the neighbours won't notice or see you. But a little sprinkle, by you, at various spots around the fence might work. Perhaps the deer will think you a coyote/fox/wolf. :ROFLMAO: :brows:

Larry, I can make a suggestion as a deterrent. It is one that is often used, and lauded, for keeping predators away from your chickens.

It has to be done by a male, so I suggest you do it at night when the neighbours won't notice or see you. But a little sprinkle, by you, at various spots around the fence might work. Perhaps the deer will think you a coyote/fox/wolf. :ROFLMAO: :brows:

Coyotes are a big problem in Texas. Here, there are hunters that have high powered air rifles with night vision scopes that ranchers bring in to kill them at night, when they hunt.

CD

If I do it during the day, maybe it will keep the neighbors away too ;)

When I lived in the country, we had that problem with deer. We didn't have that problem with the kitchen herb garden. They didn't seem to want to nibble the herbs (Okay, the nibbled the "herb", but that wasn't in the herb garden. Actually everything nibbled that.) The problem we had in the herb garden was moose. They didn't eat the herbs, they walked on them. Moose hooves are huge and leave huge prints.

God, and I thought the deer were bad!

I have the feeling these deer would like my hair. If they're near the door and I open it, they all come over like a herd of cows waiting for me to throw hay. I think they'd associate my hair with me throwing them apples.

My fence is going to be 7ft. I don't think I can afford any higher. But I am leaving a walkway around the fence line. Right now the deer come in from a gap in the trees on the right, then turn either right going along the back of my yard to another gap in the trees or they cut across my yard to the driveway and out to the street.

I'm leaving 3 feet between the trees in the back and the fence, so the deer can come through the gap and go right. Then to get to the street they can go through my neighbor's yard. They can still turn left at the gap and follow the fence to my trailer, or walk around the trailer and out my driveway, but they won't be able to cut across my yard anymore.

My little willow tree needs planting and although deer aren't supposed to like willows, the first thing they did was all walk over and nibble on the branches. The willow tree is now in a cage.

If the fence doesn't work, maybe Larry can be hired...

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom