Gearing up

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
wittdog, you're one motivated person this morning! I know you have a smokehouse, but have you ever tried smoking sausages in the WSM by hanging them from the top grate?

All finished up.
10lbs Italian sausage, I cut back on the amount of garlic….most recipes don’t call for garlic but I like it in my Italian sausage, I think I was using to much.

Da Fatties and bones

10lbs of Italian

Fresh Polish

I tossed two links of each on the WSM…I know they will taste better tomarrow after the spices get happy but I couldn’t wait.

I’ve got the 2nd pan of wood on the smoked in the smokehouse….and the WSM has been chugging along nicely. Time for another pop with da foam on top.
That new grinder and the bucket stuffer make sausage making so much easier…time to start looking at a 15lb bucket stuffer….

I haven’t tried to “cool” smoke sausages in the WSM…it takes about 12hrs for me to smoke them in the smokehouse. Bruce B has played around with smoking at low temps in the WSM. He did some Canadian Bacon. If I was to do it in a WSM I would go the hot plate route probably. If I had time an a spare case of beer…I might go with small amounts of charcoal.

That's a lot of sausage! Garlic seems to work well in fresh sausages as long as you don't overdo it, I think.

I was considering giving the WSM a chance at smoking some sausages, but you brought up a good point about it taking 12 hours. With using charcoal at such a low temp, I'd be doing a lot of babysitting. I don't think you could get the cooker hot enough with just a hot place to actually cook the sausages after the smoke has done it's thing. Unless you cold smoke and then cook them later...

kylew3 said:
That's a lot of sausage! Garlic seems to work well in fresh sausages as long as you don't overdo it, I think.

I was considering giving the WSM a chance at smoking some sausages, but you brought up a good point about it taking 12 hours. With using charcoal at such a low temp, I'd be doing a lot of babysitting. I don't think you could get the cooker hot enough with just a hot place to actually cook the sausages after the smoke has done it's thing. Unless you cold smoke and then cook them later...

I think a hot plate would work fine..my smokehouse is about the same size as the WSM...in decent weather I don't think it would be a problem.
I smoke my sausage at 120* for an hour or till the casings are dry
145* for 4 hours in the smoke. and then at 165* till they reach an internal of 165* takes about 12-16 depending on various factors.

wittdog said:
kylew3 said:

I think a hot plate would work fine..my smokehouse is about the same size as the WSM...in decent weather I don't think it would be a problem.
145* for 4 hours in the smoke. and then at 165* till they reach an internal of 165* takes about 12-16 depending on various factors.

Simple enough. I'll have to look into them hotplates. Thanks wittdog!

-Kyle

kylew3 said:
wittdog said:
kylew3 said:

Simple enough. I'll have to look into them hotplates. Thanks wittdog!

-Kyle
When I spoke to Bruce about using the hot plate in the WSM….we were talking about running the cord thru the bottom vents which would involve taking the hot plate apart running the cord and then reassembling the cord and hot plate in the WSM….As I was checking the WSM just now….I wonder how much a replacement door is from Weber….you could probably pop a hole in the dooor..and just stuff tin foil to fill the gap from the plug…..
Just thinking out loud here…

wittdog said:
we were talking about running the cord thru the bottom vents which would involve taking the hot plate apart running the cord and then reassembling the cord and hot plate in the WSM….As I was checking the WSM just now….I wonder how much a replacement door is from Weber….you could probably pop a hole in the dooor..and just stuff tin foil to fill the gap from the plug…..
You could probably just cut the hot plate cord, pass it through the vent, and put it back together with wire nuts and (if you're squeamish) a piece of tape. You could do that any number of times and not have to buy a door.

--John

I agree with the hot plate in the WSM...it should work fine. Cutting the cord and using wire nuts should work well also. I wouldn't think that the door should cost much but the shipping probably would!

Unity said:
wittdog said:
we were talking about running the cord thru the bottom vents which would involve taking the hot plate apart running the cord and then reassembling the cord and hot plate in the WSM….As I was checking the WSM just now….I wonder how much a replacement door is from Weber….you could probably pop a hole in the dooor..and just stuff tin foil to fill the gap from the plug…..
You could probably just cut the hot plate cord, pass it through the vent, and put it back together with wire nuts and (if you're squeamish) a piece of tape. You could do that any number of times and not have to buy a door.

--John

I found a nice weathertight connector with 3 contacts that will handle 7.5amp per contact and should just squeeze through one of the holes in the lower vents. Now you got me thinking about how I can use temperature feedback and be able to program a temperature profile...

kylew3 said:
Unity said:
wittdog said:

--John

I found a nice weathertight connector with 3 contacts that will handle 7.5amp per contact and should just squeeze through one of the holes in the lower vents. Now you got me thinking about how I can use temperature feedback and be able to program a temperature profile...
Ok now your getting to technical for me :LOL:
Good luck and keep us informed.

The taste sausage are done…Pretty Dam Good IMHO

I also cut a chunk of pepparoni off…still needs a while to go…

Witt...still looking good. The Soppressata is cured. I'll post pictures probably late tonight or tomorrow. I'm videoing my rib cook today. I'm doing three slabs on the offset...trying to document fire management with lump charcoal.

One more degree to go on the smoked sausage….It’s looking good…then it’s a cold water bath and a few hours to bloom. I got some nice color on this batch.

Cool cleglue..the whole fire management thing I was planning on doing that video in the spring..which is probably the weather you have today :LOL:

My $.02 on the elect connection would be to replace the plug with the smallest you can find, blow a hole in the cooker just a tick larger and then figure out how to fill the hole when not in use. A pair of fender washers with nut/bolt is one way or a cork.

Back
Top Bottom