Genius Loves Company

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

mudbug

Chef Extraordinaire
Gotta say that most of this Grammy-winning CD of duets by Ray Charles and others is mostly disappointing on first listening. I love Brother Ray, but there are waaaay too many over-orchestrated numbers on this one, including a very weird rendition of the Sinatra classic "It Was A Very Good Year", with Willie Nelson. Just strange. Ditto on "Somewhere Over the Rainbow" with Johnny Mathis.

The best cuts, IMHO, are "Here We Go Again" with Norah Jones (my GRRRRLLLL), "Do I Ever Cross Your Mind", with Bonnie Raitt (my other GRRRRLLLL), and "Sinner's Prayer" with BB King. Also, the rendition of "Crazy Love" with Van Morrison ain't too shabby.

Guess I'd rather have my Ray neat, on the rocks, and on the original recordings.

Mud, this isn't one of those dealies where the "duet" is not performed together, ala Nat King Cole and his daughter Natalie, is it?

No, Charc. Ray was still alive when this was made -- it was his last recording. Natalie is on this one too, by the way, doing the old Peggy Lee number "Fever." I'm gonna give it a few more spins before I make my final decision, but so far I think I'm right.

Let me know whatcha think. I'm biased in a big way to Norah and Bonnie (who I'm going to be when I grow up), so it will be good to get another perspective.

I really thought I was going to I have a problem enjoying this CD after the first few listens. I put this disc and the newest Joe Cocker disc in my mp3 player, and can't quit listening to them both.

I haven't bought the CD and after listening to the clips on Amazon, I'm not sure if I will. I'm with you Mud, I did like a couple songs like "Here We go Again" but James Taylor, Elton John and Willie Nelson just didn't sound right to me. Just thought I'd toss my two pennies into the circle.

Back
Top Bottom