Getting Dogs Teeth Cleaned

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

In the Kitchen

Executive Chef
As most of you know, I am very fond of dogs. Especially mine. They have brought me through many many days of heartache and joy. They are considered family. However, I have had their teeth cleaned in the past but now am skeptical as to the age they are. One 10 years, others 9 years. One diabetic. Have other problems but wouldn't posses problem with anesthetic they have to give. The vet told me he would give blood test before he begin procedure but this is normal. I didn't question why as I have trusted him in the past. DO you all get your dogs' teeth cleaned regularly? May seem trival to most but important to me. Thanks for your input as I have to get this done next week and guess I am concerned. Sure wouldn't want to lose them.

ITK, we have a cat who we've been told at some point should get his teeth cleaned. He only chews on one side of his mouth so the other has more plaque. The vet told me that the other option was for me to teach him how to chew on the other side of his mouth :shock: ! Anyway, DH is really hesitant to do this because of the anesthesia. Reagan is almost 10 so we hate to tax his system any more than we have to. We've decided against it, at least for now.

My own opinion, for what it's worth, is unless the vet says it's medically necessary to have their teeth cleaned, I'd hold off. Just make sure they eat dry food and some treats or chews that are made for tartar control and hopefully that keeps it in check.

Give your pups a pet for me!

Dove is going in very soon to have hers cleaned. She will be 8 at the end of this month. The blood test is extra and is opitional but it is a very good idea to have it done first. It will tell a lot about your pets health and if it is safe to have the teeth cleaned. That is important to keep up just as much as having yours or your childs teeteh cleaned.Trust your vet..

Marge~Dove

Dry food helps but does not do the job well enough. I lost my 16 year old Yorkie to liver failure and problems that come with poor dental hygene.

Oldcoot!! are you out there to back me up on this????????

Last edited:
My Koapaka is a year and a half in age. He has never had his teeth cleaned. But he does get regular check-ups. Dogs can get very ill with complications of poor teeth. Hope all goes well with your pups.

img_101422_0_a04f5d0ceb4b2fbc462e1155d013e3d9.gif

I'm always worried to get my dogs teeth cleaned because when they put an animal under there is always a risk of death.:(

spatulator said:
I'm always worried to get my dogs teeth cleaned because when they put an animal under there is always a risk of death.:(

That's why I am so confused should or shouldn't? I would be not living as well as I am if I would lose one of them. Would consider it my fault. But at the same time I want them to keep eating and not gumming their food. Thanks for your interest. We all appreciate it. What bothers me is now he has started making me sign paper that states if anything goes wrong, he isn't responsible. I think they do that in hospital too. He never did that before. Have been going to same vet for more than 20 years.

It is VERY important to get a cat's or a dog's teeth cleaned. Once infection sets in it can affect the quality of life for your pet. A friend NEVER too her cat to the vet - the cat began to lose weight, eyes turned yellow, and then they took it. The cat lost all but 1 tooth and almost died and it took a long, long time for the cat to feel better again. Cat is still very thin.

I feel sure neglecting to get your animal's teeth cleaned has a greater risk associated with it than the anesthesia used to clean their teeth.

While dry dog food can postpone tartar buildup it does not prevent it. Wet food just sticks to the teeth better therefore building up quicker.

Just my 2 cents.

ITK - your vet does that as a standard practice. If he had not been doing that in the past I'm sure his insurance carrier has made him start doing it. How many times has your dog been put to sleep or had any kind of surgery? There are papers to sign each time like this.

If you don't get your dog's teeth cleaned this will definately affect the quality of your dog's life. If you do get your dog's teeth cleaned you will be doing MUCH more to assure good health for your animal. There's a risk in just driving to the vet's office. There's a risk with lots of things.

I understand you have to be comfortable with it but your dog cannot speak for itself. If your dog gets sick because you have neglected his/her teeth you wouldn't be happy either. And that WILL happen if tartar builds up, he/she develops gingivitis, etc. Your dog will have no teeth.

My daughter feeds her two cats only Iams dry food (age appropriate, one cat is almost a year, the other is over 5), with an occasional shared can of Iams. Her vet says this dry food is the best for keeping their teeth clean and free of disease. She also has a water filtering drink thing for them.

BTW Watch the Sonics tonite on NBC at 7 or 7:30

Grateful

I sure am grateful to have such caring people to advise me. You surely are dog lovers and I can tell by the way you write you want what is BEST for them. Thank you. I really must be worried as I keep checking to see what responses you all have and knowing that I could prevent some future heartache makes all the difference. Related to taking the kids to school and hoping they fit in is similar to choice I will make. This vet has put down some of my best friends and always does it with concern for my feelings. Times I have come to office and he just woke up from staying overnite with some dog. He has couch in his office that he sleeps on. If only a doctor I have would do that for me! He has so many cats that someone must have wanted to give up and he kept it. I think if they are so old they won't get adopted hence he takes them. Has about 6-7 of them and that is the ones I see. The dogs must all get adopted. I will just exercise my faith and trust the doctor and his decision and that is all I can do. Thanks for your understanding and time.

I've been doing some reading on this and you should get your pets teeth cleaned regularly. Yes there is always risk of something happening but your dog could die if it gets an infection and it travels to its heart etc. My American Eskimo will be having its teeth cleaned on Tuesday.

I think dogs and cats, our beloved pets should be able to be on our medical insurance. I have never had my older dogs teeth cleaned and she is 12 now but has very bad breath. She is a large lab. I feed my 2 dogs and 2 cats dry food and have canned cat food for the cat treats and chew bones for dog treats. I'm sure I should have their teeth cleaned, especially the older cat and dog. I can't see doing it on a regular bases tho,Like every six months.

I have two pugs. One is a rescue about 9 years old and the other is a 3 year old. To my knowledge, neither of them have ever had their teeth cleaned. I brush their teeth w/ doggie toothpaste on a regular basis though. I honestly dont want them to get their teeth cleaned by a doctor because I am nevervous of complications, especially for the older one. He always have various minor health issues.

If you don't have a vet clean their teeth, maybe you can just brush on a regular basis. It won't be as clean as the vet, but it sure beats nothing. Also give your dog hard things to chew on, I've heard that's good for their teeth. I avoid soft dog food for that very reason.

i just had my 8 year old cats teeth cleaned and he was fine. he came home more energetic and stated eating more and gaining some weight he's lost.

Our dog, an Australian Shephard is 5 yrs. old and at her 4 yr. checkup the vet recommended she have her teeth cleaned. It is pretty expensive, like around $100, and my husband felt he could just begin brushing them himself. She is more his dog than mine and will likely tolerate new things better when he tries them with her. Anyhow, he began using just a very small amount of toothpaste and brushing for a very short time in the beginning. Now he is able to use a standard amount of toothpaste as with an adult in a reasonable amount of time to brush, and her teeth look wonderful. He brushes them about three times a week. She tolerates it very well. We just use regular people toothpaste, like Crest whitening or whatever. We think it's a ripoff to buy special doggie toothpaste. We also just use a somewhat worn adult toothbrush. Now, our daughter has a 10 yr. old bassett hound and her vet strongly recommended that his teeth be cleaned. This was done, but the day following the procedure and the anesthesia, the dog had a small stroke with a very droopy/dry eye. The vet said it was not a reaction to the anesthesia, but we think it just about had to have been. So, my feeling would be that, if possible, you introduce your dogs to the tooth brushing experience yourself and see how that goes before heading off to the vet. We do, however, think that good dental health is important for dogs, just as it is for humans. Good luck.

Dove said:
Dove is going in very soon to have hers cleaned. She will be 8 at the end of this month. The blood test is extra and is opitional but it is a very good idea to have it done first. It will tell a lot about your pets health and if it is safe to have the teeth cleaned. That is important to keep up just as much as having yours or your childs teeteh cleaned.Trust your vet..

Marge~Dove

Dry food helps but does not do the job well enough. I lost my 16 year old Yorkie to liver failure and problems that come with poor dental hygene.

Oldcoot!! are you out there to back me up on this????????

Dove: all went well. Thankful they all made it! One had two teeth pulled, other had one tooth pulled and one with diabetes has liver problem. He is concerned about the diabetic one with liver due to what the blood test showed. She developed diabetes when only 6 years old, now going on 9. I realize the expense involved in how I feel about all this but if you love your dog you will do what you would do for yourself. As you said, blood test extra and that is what showed liver problem. Said he had to administer fluids before he did the procedure. He did not seem worried because he knows he doesn't want to worry me. Taking care of them the best way I can afford is satisfying to me. They are such friends to me. Part of health to take care of the teeth. Doctor said bad teeth can affect other parts of your body. One of my friends told me they don't even go to dentist for themselves much less the dog. This only shows how ignorant people can be about their health. The doctor told me to bring the diabetic dog back next week for another liver test. I have to realize with diabetes there is nothing anyone can do. Thanks for all your time and interest. My dogs and I all thank you. Meant so much to me.

Last edited:
Don't know whether this will help, hope so: after the last time I had the cat's teeth cleaned the vet talked me into a powdered toothpaste and ribbed rubber finger tip (like they use for counting money accurately). He was against cleaning routinely done under anaesthetic because of the possibility of things going wrong. I have to tell you I've yet to use it (cat's teeth are so sharp especially trying it with an older cat for the first time!) Instead I have given her chicken wings more often and switched to an 'oral care' biscuit. What I am trying to say is, I think a dog would be easier to do and maybe a good pet store or another vet stocks a similar item?
It's a hard one isn't it because they do say that tooth decay can lead to heart problems, as in humans. Can your dogs eat bones at all? they're usually good tooth cleaners.

Bridget is 11 1/2 and just had her teeth cleaned. Our vet does a blood test on all dogs over 7 and will not proceed if results indicate a health problem. Poor teeth can cause other problems, so I'd have the cleaning done annually if your dog's health permits.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom