Getting Glass Bakeware Clean?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
OK, so I've been cooking in Pyrex glass bakeware. The problem is the cleanup. It gets this brown gunk all over that won't come off no matter how much I scrub.

I saw a video on youtube where a lady put ammonia in a trash bag and left the glass bakeware sealed up inside overnight. It worked as well in for me as it did in the video. The gunk wiped right off.

The thing is, I hate the waste ... especially plastic waste.

I tried using a big storage container with a lid, but it doesn't work as well. I'm guessing it's not airtight, even though I stack a bunch of my back issues of StrippersRUs on top.

Is there a better method, or a better way to do the ammonia method I'm trying?

Thanks

You could put the storage container inside of a large, plastic bag, like a garbage bag. That should solve the problem with air tightness and you can use the bag again the next time.

I use dry baking powder on a damp rag or sponge to rub off the brown gunk. I am a bit of a stickler for always getting all of it off every. single. time. I often have to go over it again once it is dry, because it's easier to see the little spots on dry Pyrex ware.

You could put the storage container inside of a large, plastic bag, like a garbage bag. That should solve the problem with air tightness and you can use the bag again the next time.

I use dry baking powder on a damp rag or sponge to rub off the brown gunk. I am a bit of a stickler for always getting all of it off every. single. time. I often have to go over it again once it is dry, because it's easier to see the little spots on dry Pyrex ware.
Oh my God, what a great idea! Thank you so much.

What a dummy I am for not thinking of that.

I learned the ammonia trick from Andy M.

You can use any plastic bag that comes into your life, a flimsy plastic produce bag, a used Tyvek mailer, bread bag, etc…

The ammonia trick works great on metal stove/grill parts, pots, pans, etc…

Another thing I've learned in recent years, to use on glass, and many things, are those "magic eraser" things. Good on glass, as well as many plastics, that get tea stains on them, and very few cleaners work on.

I've been a long time pillager and plunderer of yard sales, estate sales, thrift stores, etc. and have come across some pretty gross glass cookware/bakeware.

I learned a long time ago that glass can be easily cleaned by coating it with oven cleaner (spray on or brush on) and placed in a plastic bag overnight or a few days and it comes out as good as new.

As Aunt Bea already mentioned, there are plenty of plastic bags that can be used for this purpose and I do take advantage of this.

I have some very nice pieces of glass cookware/bakeware that now look like new.

Another thing I've learned in recent years, to use on glass, and many things, are those "magic eraser" things. Good on glass, as well as many plastics, that get tea stains on them, and very few cleaners work on.
The magic eraser is an mild abrasive. You could just as easily use the scrubber side of a sponge or a steel wool pad.

I am not cooking properly! I have quite a bit of Pyrex bakeware, and never have had "brown gunk". Even back in the day when I hand washed dishes, and now with my darlin' dishwasher the glass bakeware comes out clean as a whistle.

Those 'Magic Eraser' things are about the only thing I've found that is magic on coffee and tea stains especially in mugs. think I've also mentioned somewhere else that it helps take those black marks left by knives, etc. on white dinnerware.

Honestly, I know many of you will flip over and bark but I use good ol' SOS pads. Have for years. Works for me.
I don't care what you do with your glass bakeware, but you better never do that at my house. I have scratches from spatulas and knives. I don't want anymore from steel wool.

What am I doing wrong . . .
Try a better trashy novel.
I don't care what you do with your glass bakeware, but you better never do that at my house. I have scratches from spatulas and knives. I don't want anymore from steel wool.
sorry - but there ain't no scratches on my glass stuff. and that's even scraping them with a spatula or a dinner knife on the rare occasion when it's really thick.

Try a better trashy novel.

sorry - but there ain't no scratches on my glass stuff. and that's even scraping them with a spatula or a dinner knife on the rare occasion when it's really thick.
you never use it for lasagna and cut the pieces of lasagna in the pan? That would generally be done with a more serious knife than a dinner knife. I may have been mistaken about getting them from metal spatulas.

taxy, I'm having a real hard time imagining a knife of any sort cutting glass. Once that happened, have you continued to use a knife with the glass? Aren't you concerned about glass dust/particles?
I use a dental drill to etch on glass but these tips have diamond dust on them.

Edit: are you confusing a remark I mentioned of dinner knives leaving a mark on white dinner plates?

Back
Top Bottom