Getting started

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

millertimegooney

Assistant Cook
I have been cooking for my family for years, but now want to try new things. should I take a class, or do more online research? Just me and husband at home now.

Hi and welcome to DC :) Being part of this community would be a great start :LOL: Check out the "Today's Menu" forum. Every day, you will see what many of us are making for dinner which might give you some ideas. And if you need a recipe for something that interests you, just ask.

What kinds of new things are you interested in? A different national cuisine? Different cooking techniques? Baking?

Hi. Welcome to DC. I think we are all-around good guys and are willing to offer assistance and respond about recipes or techniques, and offer honest positive criticism.

One of the other sources for cooking inspiration I find is looking at either Tastespotting or Foodgawker dot com. Pretty pics with recipes for the dish. If its something new for me, I also google the dish and check for comparisons until I absorb mult ideas. I think the qualifier with either of these websites is there is a difference between a good recipe and good food photography. Which is why I choose to compare. Use both the DC search and Advanced search boxes, both towards the upper right corner this page. Its amusing to find we have the recipe/ topic I am looking at elsewhere AND there is discussion about it and how well it turned out etc.

We have taken cooking courses through our community education programs. Low cost, some are one night class, some extend over a few weeks. Recreational cooking. Good for learning about new cultures or things I am less familiar.

And more important-- is you should feel confident that if you ask a question, we are willing to help or offer some guidance.

I don't see any reason for a class unless you just want to go to one.

The internet is full of videos and recipes. You have a wealth of knowledge right here on this forum.
What I would do is pick a dish you want to try and post it here for advice.

Good luck and welcome to the forum.

Like RB said. Pick something you would like to eat, then figure out how to get from point A to point B. There are many tips, techniques and procedures you can learn from just one dish that you will use in many others as you go forward...

I have been cooking for my family for years, but now want to try new things. should I take a class, or do more online research? Just me and husband at home now.
Another idea you could try would be to start browsing the food magazines in the supermarket or your newsagent. If you find one that appeals you could start off by buying a copy and then experimenting with the recipes. It would be cheaper than rushing headlong into a cookery course without deciding what direction you want to go. I can't suggest any titles because I'm on the other side of the pond to you.

Or you could browse Amazon for cookery books. Second hand ones can be very cheap and a lot of them look almost brand new. I like some of Delia Smith's books, I'm am a serious Elizabeth David fan, likewise Jane Grigson and I find Nigella Lawson interesting although she is something of a plagiarist. I've got all of Ina Garten's books and Jamie Oliver is good when he's not preaching.

Back
Top Bottom