Getting your family on board with healthy eating

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
It's great if a foodie's spouse likes what the foodie likes and is willing to try new things. Sadly, that does not always happen. My SO dos not have an adventurous palate but is willing to try some recipes I want. She isn't always pleased with the results. I rely on her candid comments on what I cook.

I do feel a little stifled sometimes but I always have the option to cook things for myself and she's willing to eat whatever.

My doctor told me not to even try to change what I eat, all he said cut down the portions. That is the first step.

It's great if a foodie's spouse likes what the foodie likes and is willing to try new things. Sadly, that does not always happen. My SO dos not have an adventurous palate but is willing to try some recipes I want. She isn't always pleased with the results. I rely on her candid comments on what I cook.

I do feel a little stifled sometimes but I always have the option to cook things for myself and she's willing to eat whatever.

Yes, I always tell my husband that the next time I get married I'm choosing a guy who will eat whatever I put in front of him. LOL Actually, he has so many good qualities, but the only one I talk about here is his eating, since this is a food forum. If this is the worst thing he does that annoys me, I'm good with it!

My doctor told me not to even try to change what I eat, all he said cut down the portions. That is the first step.

That is a good idea because then you will never feel that you are missing out on your favorite foods, just not eating as much of them.

hamlet_, as others have said, try to introduce the more-scratch foods gradually. Hopefully your husband comes around to enjoying the foods as much as the packaged products. Sometimes it takes just a small change in one ingredient to make it taste "off". Himself likes spaghetti. I make a tweaked version of his Mom's homemade sauce in a 12-quart vat several times during the cooler weather. When we were first married, I was being the frugal bride and bought a different, cheaper brand of tomato sauce. All that work and he said it wasn't as good. :( Turns out it was the Hunts. Eventually I tried other recipes using tomatoes even though he said he liked it just as sauce. I made sure I used Hunts each time for every recipe. He liked them! Now, after all these years, he enjoys dishes full of tomato made with various brands OR fresh - just so long as it isn't highly acidic. I don't like the acid-y taste either and now know which brands we'll both enjoy. Takes time, but don't give up! Good luck.

...Actually, he has so many good qualities, but the only one I talk about here is his eating, since this is a food forum. If this is the worst thing he does that annoys me, I'm good with it!
+1! The way I look at it he overlooks my one fault and I overlook his 20. ;) Actually, we're pretty even on things that annoy the other...

Back
Top Bottom