Glass Stove Top

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

TheNoodleIncident

Senior Cook
so i will hopefully be moving into a new house soon (our bid is in, lets hope its accepted!) and they have a glass stove top....im not happy about giving up my gas, but what are you going to do?

so what are the "rules" of glass top? i know i should follow certain guidelines, but have no idea what they are since i have had gas for my entire life....ive head you can shatter them by putting a hot lid of them, or scratch them many different ways, etc.

i hope they arent as bad for cooking as people make them seem

I have one and like it. The big thing is that you need flat bottoms on your pans. If they are warped in anyway, they don't sit on the flat surface. The shattering I've heard is having something drop on them from overhead. They clean up easy with barkeepers friend and a Scotch pad. It seems to get hotter than my old coils did but I can't compare it to gas since I'm not used to gas. It will take some adjusting to get the hang of it but I don't think you'll be that disappointed.

I wish I could agree with you, jabbur. My pans continually slide around when I stir something. Some of it is my own laziness in not holding the pan when I stir, but it makes serving food a challenge, too. If you know of how to fix the sliding, I'd welcome any suggestions.
I found some of those "cleaning" pads and tool at the commissary, and have been using them to pretty good success. You can really bear down and get the stuck-on stuff. I just wish I could fix the scratches that seem to be on the surface...
Thankfully, it's a rental..... I'm putting in gas when we retire and build.:-p

,,,My pans continually slide around when I stir something. Some of it is my own laziness in not holding the pan when I stir, but it makes serving food a challenge, too. If you know of how to fix the sliding, I'd welcome any suggestions...

navywife, I think the sliding is because your pan bottoms are not flat. Turn them over and look at the bottom. If the center of the bottom bulges out even a little, it will cause the sliding around.

so i will hopefully be moving into a new house soon (our bid is in, lets hope its accepted!) and they have a glass stove top....im not happy about giving up my gas, but what are you going to do?

so what are the "rules" of glass top? i know i should follow certain guidelines, but have no idea what they are since i have had gas for my entire life....ive head you can shatter them by putting a hot lid of them, or scratch them many different ways, etc.

My advise is , if you are buying the house, change over to gas. If I have a say in it I will always cook on a gas stove. Just my $.02

I love my glass top. I use Soft Scrub and the soft scrubby side of a 2 sided sponge it still looks new. No scratches.
DO NOT USE CAST IRON!! You will ruin the glass. Do not use metal scrubbers of any kind. I have had mine for 3 years.

I love my glass top. I use Soft Scrub and the soft scrubby side of a 2 sided sponge it still looks new. No scratches.
DO NOT USE CAST IRON!! You will ruin the glass. Do not use metal scrubbers of any kind. I have had mine for 3 years.

Another reason I would never own one.:chef:

I use my cast iron with no problems. Even the ones with hear rings do well but take a little longer to heat,

I was in your boat 11 years ago when I bought the house I live in now. I had always had gas and hated electric stoves. Though my new (actually very old) house had gas lighting fixtures still installed, the gas line had been ripped out long ago.

There was a 2 year old glass top electric stove.

I considered puttint in gas until I realized that the glass-top stove was the best I'd ever cooked on.

So I'd give it a chance. There are not that many rules, actually.

Cast iron and heavy things like Le Creuset are fine. I use them constantly. You obviously must take caution not to drop heavy pots or pans and not to drag them over the glass surface. Manufacturers say not to use CI or LC because the glass top is under warranty (for a period of time, at least) and they are on the hook if you are butterfingers with your skillet of bacon.

You do need a flat bottom, but one of my cast iron skillets has a ring bottom and it works perfectly.

The only "scars" on my cooktop are a one inch scratch that I have no idea how it got there (methinks my mother did it when she visited) and a dime-sized burned spot thanks to molten carmelized sugar.

You can buy cooktop cleaner (I think they call it "conditioner" helps make it shiny), but I usually use a plastic scrubber and BKF. RINSE very well. I had to razor off the molten sugar.

Mine is incredibly easy to maintain and I love it. It's getting old, though and that makes me nervous.

Just use common sense in being careful with heavy things, scratchy things, metal utensils, etc. Don't drag anything over the surface.

Good Luck with it!

thanks for the replies.....im sort of excited to use it, mostly because i never have before, but i just know that gas is hard to beat (though my old gas burner wasn't exactly top of the line)....whats good is that the stove is brand new, and most of our cookware was bought in october and of decent quality (emeril-ware, made by all-clad), so flatness shouldnt be an issue....though i do worry about my wok - woking properly is tough in any residential kitchen, and i dont think this stove will make it easier

i guess cleaning and heat management will take some getting used to

i wish i knew what brand/model it was

Back
Top Bottom