Gluten-free homemade pasta

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

ErikC

Senior Cook
For years and years I was a devout pastafarian, and enjoyed making my own pasta at home. I invested in a really nice pasta machine (hand cranked; I could not justify spending the extra money for the motorized version).

Then I found out that I a have a relatively mild case of Celiac and since cutting out gluten my life-long symptoms have completely disappeared. But I miss my pasta!

I know you can get store-bought pasta made from rice flour, but does anyone out there have a reliable recipe for making it at home?

Hi Eric,

I know you would like a recipe and I dont have one, but have you considered Shirataki Noodles? They are tofu based and I use them as a low carb substitute for pasta. They are gluten free and low calorie as well. I love them.

My girlfriend is Gluten intolerant so I'm looking for an idea for pasta also. I picked up a box of Quinoa made pasta shells to make mac and cheese for her and she liked that.

The plan now is to grind Quinoa with a spice grinder and see if I can create some fresh pasta for her this weekend. I'll post the results for you and the receipe when I make it. I figure if I can get it fine enough it should work well in the pasta maker with egg as the binding agent. Also, after looking at the box for that brand of pasta, corn flour is also used in the mix. I'm going to shoot for a 50/50 ratio of corn and quinoa and see how that turns out.

By the way Quinoa works great as a replacement for barley in a Beef and barley soup, she loved the results from that.

Last edited:
Hi Eric,

in Italy we use pasta made of buckwheat, rice or maize (corn) flour. I tasted the corn pasta and it tastes really good, just a little sweeter. I have to say I never tried doing it by myself.

Erik, I understand you may wish to make your own pasta...I enjoyed the processes of making different kinds of breads and pastries. However, until you find a way to do it, Ancient Quinoa Harvest has corn/quinoa pastas that are very good. I spoke with them about adding lasagne noodles to their line and they said they were working on it, but naturally, hand feeding it was too labor intensive at this time. Ener-G makes a good lasagne pasta, but it's been hard for me to find it in smaller communities.

Future reference

Here is a variable recipe:

1/2 cup white rice flour
1/2 cup potato starch (corn or tapioca)
4 tsp Xanthan Gum (Guar Gum)
3 large eggs
1 Tbsp Olive Oil

Combine dry ingredients and wet separately. Create a well in center of dry ingredients and mix wet ingredients slowly. Add cold water a tablespoon at a time as necessary to form a cohesive ball. Lightly dust in starch and plastic wrap it to chillin the refrigerator about a half hour before rolling out.

I use spaghetti squash in lieu of pasta. I'm just not a huge fan of processed grains.

Last edited by a moderator:

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom