Good Information to have

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Dove

DC Grandma
Pan Sizes and Equivalents
IN THE MIDST of cooking but don't have the right pan? You can substitute one size for another, keeping in mind that when you change the pan size, you must sometimes change the cooking time. For example, if a recipe calls for using an 8-inch round cake pan and baking for 25 minutes, and you substitute a 9-inch pan, the cake may bake in only 20 minutes, since the batter forms a thinner layer in the larger pan. (Use a toothpick inserted into the center of the cake to test for doneness. If it comes out clean, the cake has finished baking.) Also, specialty pans such as tube and Bundt pans distribute heat differently; you may not get the same results if you substitute a regular cake pan for a specialty one, even if the volume is the same.

PAN SIZE VOLUME SUBSTITUTE
9-inch pie pan 4 cups 8-inch round cake pan
8x4x2-1/2-inch loaf pan 6 cups Three 5x2-inch loaf pans
Two 3x1-1/4-inch muffin tins
12x8x2-inch cake pan
9x5x3-inch loaf pan 8 cups 8-inch square cake pan
9-inch round cake pan

15x10x1-inch jelly-roll pan 10 cups 9-inch square cake pan
Two 8-inch round cake pans
8x3-inch springform pan

10x3-inch Bundt pan 12 cups Two 8x4x2-1/2-inch loaf pans
9x3-inch angel food cake pan
9x3-inch springform pan

13x9x2-inch cake pan 14-15 cups Two 9-inch round cake pans
Two 8-inch square cake pans

IF YOU ARE cooking a casserole and don't have the correct size dish, here are some baking-pan substitutions. Again, think about the depth of the ingredients in the dish and lengthen or shorten the baking time accordingly.

CASSEROLE SIZE BAKING-PAN SUBSTITUTE
1-1/2 quarts 9x5x3-inch loaf pan
2 quarts 8-inch square cake pan
2-1/2 quarts 9-inch square cake pan
3 quarts 13x9x2-inch cake pan
4 quarts 14x10x2-inch cake pan

I will print and save this. My biggest "problem" is that my pyrex-type cake pan (I think it's French manufacured) is actually an oval. It makes it great for whatever baking I do (not a lot) because you don't get those dried up corners (duh, no corners). But sometimes I have to sit there and do the math. (again, duh ... my bete noir). This kind of stuff is why I do very little baking.

Back
Top Bottom